Old 12-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
Should I gut

I have just purchased a 65 Overlander, seems to have original appliances and interior.

Is there a value in gutting and selling it?

Old 12-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
If you just purchased it, why on earth would you want to gut it and sell it??????

Frederic

AIR # 8239
TAC # US-7
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
????????????????????????????????????????????????

I would like to know too?!?!?!?!!?: blink:
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Is it a parts trailer? If so then yes the parts do have value.
Post some pictures.
RichardT
Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
What were your plans for it when you bought it? Did your plans change?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
Gut

I bought it site unseen, pix only. When I got it home and really looked at it, I realized the original stuff was in good shape. I originally wanted to gut and tailor to my needs (hunting/camping), but am now reconsidering. Not sure what to do.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Unless you have special needs, it is already set up for hunting/camping.

What is it that you want to have on the inside?
It is definetly worth more with the original interior comlete then it would be gutted.
If you want to gut it anyway, you will find ready buyers here for alot of the interior parts.

If you want to sell it let me know, I am near Asheville NC.
RichardT
Old 12-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sell Whole

I'm not a restorer (yet) and have 2005, but as the earlier posters on this thread have already stated, if your interior is complete in original shape and everything is functional, don't tear it apart. You can find PLENTY of gutted or partially gutted Airstreams cheap! Sell the one you have, use the proceeds to find a bare or nearly bare unit. Build THAT one from the bottom up.

By the way, use SEARCH on this forum. Look up "full monte" "floor replacement, etc. just for starters. If you should start to tear out - then get sidetracked by work, illness, financial distress, etc. you'll have done nothing but substantially decrease the value of your unit. If you get one that's already down to the bare floor (pay $1000 or less) and half of your work will already be done, plus you can't hurt anything, plus you truly have a blank canvas.

Tin Lizzie
Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
Gutting -possibly, selling -never!

I have unintentionally gutted my 77 Overlander. It was sold to me reportedly in good condition with no leaks etc. I do not think that the PO attempted to deceive me but think that he did not know anything about the Airstream that he owned.

I wasn't interested in maintaining the 70s ambience. I came of age in the seventies and that decade was far to tumultous for me to want to repeat it. Like you I also wanted it to suit my purposes. I started with a cosmetic renovation which uncovered at least two new problem for each one that I have attempted to address.

It is now an 8 hour a day plus job which I hope that I can finish in the 2 months that I have left in Huntsville. I have to agree with the previous posters. Think about how much time and money that you want to dedicate to your coach.

I have also found it very time and energy intensive to market the parts from my Overlander, enough so that I am thinking about disposing of them.
Good Luck & Happy Holidays!
Jennifer
Old 12-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Lakefield , ON
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMateo
I have just purchased a 65 Overlander, seems to have original appliances and interior.

Is there a value in gutting and selling it?
If I read this correctly - I think he/she meant gut the interior and sell those items - not the trailer???

To each there own.

A hunt camp type trailer for use - would not be much of anything after a few years to gain any sort of value. These are the ones many here are picking up for under $1000.00

Trailers found with good intentions to use as a hunt camp-but even the hunters end up wishing they had all the conveniences of a full working trailer.

If you are into restoring back to original - then she may be well worth the effort with some work but with some used appliances you could turn a bit of a profit on her.

But from a little experience - unless you hold out for the 10+ figure for resale - you are not going to make much money on these babies - they just need too much work and lots of spare change.

Our 61 - is in fair to rough shape and we will try to keep as much as possible original - but that is us.

You go for what you want - but only keep in mind that when the wrecking bar comes out - have second thoughts and take a bit of extra time to remove things carefully - why not make a few bucks and sell the items off to those here that are in need.

Good luck with what ever your decision is - regardless you will still have a time piece and a little piece of North-American history in your yard.