Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Removing black tank

I want to remove the black tank from my 1968 Airstream Overlander. I have removed the rear belly pan and see the four bolts holding the angle iron for the support base. Before I remove the bolts do I need to remove the toilet prior to dropping the tank...also do I need to disconnect the exhaust/breather pipe?

Thanks for any help/advice/suggestions.

Pete

goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Yes , be sure have drained it and washed it out. Tale toilet out and take screws out of the flange and unscrew the flange from the tank . Then you will need to disconnect the vent pipe . Check for any other vents then you can lower the tank . Have fun .

Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyflea View Post
Yes , be sure have drained it and washed it out. Tale toilet out and take screws out of the flange and unscrew the flange from the tank . Then you will need to disconnect the vent pipe . Check for any other vents then you can lower the tank . Have fun .

Do you know how the vent pipe is usually attached to the tank? I haven't started taking the tank out and would be good to know what to look for.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Seguin , Texas
Iím about to drop my tank on my 67. This thread is exactly what I was about to ask. I hope others drop more info if possible. Iíve got my belly pan pulled back to the axles and was about to start ripping the bath room as I wasnít sure what needed to be disconnected to allow the tank to drop.
1967Over_Int is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Over_Int View Post
Iím about to drop my tank on my 67. This thread is exactly what I was about to ask. I hope others drop more info if possible. Iíve got my belly pan pulled back to the axles and was about to start ripping the bath room as I wasnít sure what needed to be disconnected to allow the tank to drop.
I've got my belly pan down in the rear, put Liquid Wrench on the underside bolts/nuts that are holding the black tank in place, removed the toilet flange (it unscrews from the black tank one you remove the 4 screws securing it to the floor) and now ready to start removing from below once the weather cooperates. I'm still not sure about removing the vent pipe from the black tank but hopefully it will become more obvious once I start removing the tank.

That is where I am so far and will keep you posted as to how things go....thankfully the wooden floor appears to be in good shape. I suspect that the previous owner replaced it when they replaced the commode.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Just cut the vent pipes nice and square at least 1&1/2 above the floor . That way you can glue them back together with a coupling . Have fun and get after it .
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lafayette , Colorado
Yep, that's it, just dropped the black tank on my 68 Olander, the vent pipe inserted into a flange on the tank and had a large hose clamp around it, that was doing nothing, the vent pipe came right out the minute I touched it and tank right to the floor. Now it's time to check the floor...

Mark D.

mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote