Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Klamath , California
PO cut a hole in interior bathroom wall to fit the new toilet.

The PO installed a Galazy Thetford toilet in my 67 Overlander. It didn't fit so the PO cut away the interior (mint green) wall to make the toilet fit. Now there is a hole in the wall. You can see (and feel) air through the wall. I am getting ready to refurbish and don't know where to begin to fix the problem. I would like the bathroom to look like it did before the botched fitting job. Is there someone out there getting ready to toss their inside mint green 1967 bathroom wall and want to find a new home for it. This is the lower wall below the window along side the toilet. Can it be repaired or do I have to scrap the existing bathroom and change the interior walls to some other material?
Sregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I think a picture would really help assess your situation.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Peggy,

Is the wall that is damaged, that kind of mint green formica type stuff? Or is it painted? If painted you can take the old part down to the paint store and they can match the color in a heartbeat ~ if it is zolotone paint you can probably come close to matching, but it is a challenge to use. If formica type stuff... you will have to hunt.

Uwe is right. Post a picture of your damaged wall and the bath area the best you can take.... I am sure it is a weird angle at best... it will really help you get useful answers!

By the way, are you going to the Hat Creek rally this weekend by any chance? It isn't too far....

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Klamath , California
67 Overlander Bathroom Wall Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I think a picture would really help assess your situation.
The current toilet blocks any good shots of the cut out wall, but I will try. I haven't posted any pictures yet, so I will try and figure out how to upload a picture when I get home from work. If it is going to be fixed, I would think it would take some figerglassing skills and I am not even sure if you can repair a wall, or what that type of repair would look like. My dad had a fiberglass body on his Corvette that he raced in the 60's. I think I will call him up for advice. He is always asking me about my AS. I think he must have always wanted one instead of the camper we used growing up.

There are also a couple of bad spots along the rim of the tub where some type of hardware was once secured. I have tried to spy other bathroom shots of 67 Overlanders to see what the hardware was, but have never seen a close-up. So, if I am going to do things right, I am going to have to do something about those holes also. My delimma is trying to determine if the fiberglass can be repaired, finding someone that has a bathroom they want to get rid of, or trying to redo the whole bathroom. I am the type that likes to put things back they way they were. But, that is just me.
Sregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Peggy, I know exactly what you're talking about because our PO cut a hole in the green plastic wall to fit a new toilet in our 67, too.

I found a piece of old plastic swimming pool liner that happened to be just the right color and built a patch. Hardly perfect, but better than a hole.

Or course, what I'd really like to do is to put a hole in the PO's head. Saw a post just now on RV.net with a subject line that fits the PO exactly: "Mutant dog."

Lynn
Old 08-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Here, this thread oughta help maybe:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ace-12310.html

Lynn
Old 08-18-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Segon, yes the fiberglass can be repaired. It is a little slow in the process. However it can look like new when you are finished. Here is my thread where I had make some repairs. Take a look and ask any question you may have.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...mbi-17925.html
The section of the thread you will need to look at is #361 to #366. You will find these numbers on the blue stripe at the top of each post on the far right side of the page. Caddygrn and I , NorCal Bambi, are in Yreka, CA not to far from you. If needed we could offer some close up help.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
One approach

Would be to locate an appropriate size shallow stainless steel pan and inset it into the hole with the rim forming an attractive join with the wall. It could look very attractive and in keeping with airstream decor. Something like liquid nails could be used to make the attachment.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote