Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Williston , Florida
1968 Overlander

Great photos. Mine has single beds. My late hubby had brain disease and removed most of the cabinetry. Your photo of the gaucho does help me with the right side,though. I'll try to get back and see if I have an extra back battery door,though it is a lot simpler than the one I am using. Can't quite figure how you keep out the rain.
cerceify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Very very nice looking airstream
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
You have a real find. Original is good but I believe that you can update it and still keep it's original ambiance. As to the answer to your questions a little re'search' on the forums will reveal many answers. Hint.....sometimes just googling instead of searching on the forum can be less frustrating.
I noticed the roller shade on the window behind the galley sink. We have replaced all the unwieldy curtains in our '66 Trade Wind with roller shades. I trimmed the window frames with wood stained to match the wood throughout the trailer. To hold the shades when pulled down I used bungee cord from my local hardware stretched horizontally across the center. I placed auto electrical 'eyes' on each end of the bungees. One eye is anchored permanently on one side of the window and the opposite eye slipped over a screw that isn't quite screwed in all the way. Now I realize that I would not have needed all these descriptive words.....if I had a photo to post. I will do so as I promised such for another thread. However, we are extremely proud of how this works and looks. Have fun working on you great find.....and camping with it.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
yes, photo please, thanks!

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Greetings bjmckernan. You found yourself a fine 67 Overlander. It appears to be the more expensive International trim level with the mahogany woodwork and other amenities like brass. You will enjoy building this old Airstream into the travel trailer you want.

Cargo doors vibrate loose and blow off on these old trailers. I purchased one used from Silver Trailer Supply in Salt Lake City. Vintage Trailer Supply has the frame pieces you can miter cut and then skin over. I've read people have made their own doors.

Some folks remodel their bathroom and discard the plastic sink and other parts. You might get lucky and find a sink for sale. Or maybe you can fabricate a counter top and install a metal sink and new faucet.

I have a 66 Trade Wind 24 footer which is one size smaller than yours. Mine is the base model, not the international. I had a rotted bathroom floor and elected to remodel the bathroom completely. I've done a lot of other work to the trailer too, including new axles and new appliances. I have more work to do for sure.

So welcome to Air Forums, you will learn a lot here. Thanks for the pictures of your Overlander, again very nice trailer. I'll post pictures later.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Charlotte , North Carolina
Frame

Thanks David!
I saw those frame pieces from STS but couldn't quite tell from the description what it was or what it actually entailed.
Sounds like I should go back and research that further for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Greetings bjmckernan. You found yourself a fine 67 Overlander. It appears to be the more expensive International trim level with the mahogany woodwork and other amenities like brass. You will enjoy building this old Airstream into the travel trailer you want.

Cargo doors vibrate loose and blow off on these old trailers. I purchased one used from Silver Trailer Supply in Salt Lake City. Vintage Trailer Supply has the frame pieces you can miter cut and then skin over. I've read people have made their own doors.

Some folks remodel their bathroom and discard the plastic sink and other parts. You might get lucky and find a sink for sale. Or maybe you can fabricate a counter top and install a metal sink and new faucet.

I have a 66 Trade Wind 24 footer which is one size smaller than yours. Mine is the base model, not the international. I had a rotted bathroom floor and elected to remodel the bathroom completely. I've done a lot of other work to the trailer too, including new axles and new appliances. I have more work to do for sure.

So welcome to Air Forums, you will learn a lot here. Thanks for the pictures of your Overlander, again very nice trailer. I'll post pictures later.

David
bjmckernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Thanks Neil, that sounds like a great solution.
Definitely post a picture when you get around to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
You have a real find. Original is good but I believe that you can update it and still keep it's original ambiance. As to the answer to your questions a little re'search' on the forums will reveal many answers. Hint.....sometimes just googling instead of searching on the forum can be less frustrating.
I noticed the roller shade on the window behind the galley sink. We have replaced all the unwieldy curtains in our '66 Trade Wind with roller shades. I trimmed the window frames with wood stained to match the wood throughout the trailer. To hold the shades when pulled down I used bungee cord from my local hardware stretched horizontally across the center. I placed auto electrical 'eyes' on each end of the bungees. One eye is anchored permanently on one side of the window and the opposite eye slipped over a screw that isn't quite screwed in all the way. Now I realize that I would not have needed all these descriptive words.....if I had a photo to post. I will do so as I promised such for another thread. However, we are extremely proud of how this works and looks. Have fun working on you great find.....and camping with it.

Neil
Old 12-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Bathroom shower photo?

We are fairly new owners of a 67 Airstream as well. Ours has been reconfigured...some parts for the best, other parts, like the gaucho couch and the original type of bunk, I wish it still had.

I have been struggling with the shower curtain. I'd love to see what your shower looks like. I saw pictures of another reno where the shower curtain is a bifold type.

Thanks!!

"wherever we go, we're always home"
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
The bath, shower in these early Airstreams were molded fiberglass. Many folks don't use a tub while camping, but back in the 60s folks were still used to a bathtub. Your 67 has an updated bathroom compared to my 66. Mine was the novel sink over the tub design. The shower curtain ran along a track riveted to the fiberglass end cap.

I installed a simple shower stall instead of the bath. I kinda wish I didn't bother. It is too small, but I guess you can still get freshed up from an all day hike in hot weather. Most places we camp have very adequate bath houses.

I did installed a nifty shower curtain rod that expands out when in use giving more elbow room, and then moves back into the shower stall when not in use. I found it at Camping World. I had to modify it for my small shower stall, but it works good.

Here is a photo of the original tub and curtain track, and then a photo of the shower rod I installed in its place.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1506 Shower Curtain Rod.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	253555   Click image for larger version

Name:	1408 Bath Shower Rod Out.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	253556  

Name:	1311 Sink ABS Shower Valve.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	253557  
Old 12-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
The bath, shower in these early Airstreams were molded fiberglass.

Here is a photo of the original tub and curtain track, and then a photo of the shower rod I installed in its place.

David
Thanks! I found the rod on Camping World's site. How do you attach to fiberglass to prevent cracking? Are Liquid nails strong enough?

Old 12-10-2015, 06:53 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Here is a link to Vintage Airstream photo archives. There are several albums of the 67 Overlander which might give you an idea of what the original trailer looked like inside. Airstream completely changed the bathroom in 67 so these trailers do not look like my 66 bathroom. The new bathroom is a better design.

1967 Overlander 26' - Vintage Airstream

Fiberglass is a bit difficult to apply fasteners to. Airstream used pop rivets and screws. A small dry wall anchor might work also to get a good clamp. I wouldn't recommend an adhesive.

David
Old 12-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Congrats on your find bjmckernan. Looks like a nice trailer. We have the 30' Sovereign version of this trailer, some of your pictures look almost identical to some I have taken over the last two years. We have for the most part finished our remodel, with only some updates and the polishing to go. Below is a link to our restoration, it may be some help, if only so you know what not to do. If the link doesn't work I believe it is under the interior renovation forum - new owner 67 sovereign. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/n...ign-98358.html
Note of warning: it was not just an interior renovation - I thought when we bought it that's what it would be. Not so much.
Regarding your bath, you may find when you demo, it is actually not mint but aqua. The sun fades the plastic and fiberglass a lot.
Congrats again and best of luck with your own reno.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1974 Argosy 26
Thanks so much for the link to your reno thread! Great resource already and I'm only a few pages in Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.nolte View Post
Congrats on your find bjmckernan. Looks like a nice trailer. We have the 30' Sovereign version of this trailer, some of your pictures look almost identical to some I have taken over the last two years. We have for the most part finished our remodel, with only some updates and the polishing to go. Below is a link to our restoration, it may be some help, if only so you know what not to do. If the link doesn't work I believe it is under the interior renovation forum - new owner 67 sovereign. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/n...ign-98358.html
Note of warning: it was not just an interior renovation - I thought when we bought it that's what it would be. Not so much.
Regarding your bath, you may find when you demo, it is actually not mint but aqua. The sun fades the plastic and fiberglass a lot.
Congrats again and best of luck with your own reno.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:03 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Here is a link to Vintage Airstream photo archives. There are several albums of the 67 Overlander which might give you an idea of what the original trailer looked like inside. Airstream completely changed the bathroom in 67 so these trailers do not look like my 66 bathroom. The new bathroom is a better design.

[url=http://vintageairstream.com/photo-archives/1967-overlander-26/]1967 Overlander 26' - Vintage Airstream[/

David
I looked out the photo archives...and now I have a mystery! Our rear looks different than all the other '67 Overlanders! Ours looks just like the last Airstream in the Airforums header picture, only ours is a bit longer. Any ideas??

Old 12-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
All we need is your serial number. Your trailer can be decoded with serial number. Posting a few pictures will help too.

My 66 Trade Wind looks kinda sorta like the Air Forums trailer you mentioned. The big round red tail lights were used for many years. The International trim trailers had tail light housings and moldings along the sides of the trailers. Mine is the basic no frills model.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1505 Home Curb Rear.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	253769  
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
I also have a '67 overlander, it was almost completely original from the middle bedroom back but the front had been 'butchered' a bit. We left the rear as-is and refinished what was in the front along with new flooring. Still some work to do in the bathroom (our sink has a similar issue though nowhere near as bad, but I found a replacement sink basin). The rest of the bathroom is functional but we never use it. You could fiberglass the sink basin pretty easily if you can't find a replacement.

Mine has the twin beds in the middle, which is nice as we have kids that sleep there. The front gaucho has been replaced with a U-shaped dinette that converts to a bed. We kept the layout exactly as it was when we bought it but refinished the kitchen/living area finishes. We like the dark wood in the bedroom but new finishes really brightened up the kitchen/living area. New, lighter flooring makes a big difference as well.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1967 overlander