Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Victoria , British Columbia (BC)
No longer "Just Looking"

Hello, '68 Overlander sub-forum members.

When I joined the Airstream forums a month ago, I was "just looking" and needed a lot of information to get me Airstream-literate.

This site and a couple of others were invaluable in getting me educated enough to keep looking after the first three Airstreams (Globetrotter, Tradewind and Ambassador) fell short of the mark. As of three weeks ago, we are now owners of a '68 Overlander International, twin bed configuration, made in Santa Fe Springs, California.

She's in as-found condition and hadn't been on the road or maintained in years, other than some recent cosmetic polishing of the exterior. It is now sitting on our lot at Lake Cowichan where we go on weekends and continue the process of waking the old girl up. We now have a working fridge on 110 volts and by replacing the dead Univolt with a 45 amp Intellivolt, also have 12 volts and a control panel that's waking up. Have just got cold water running (original PAR pump) but have a leak (naturally in a very awkward place to access). The musty odour is leaving as we tear out old foam carpeting and scrub and dry.

At home I'm working on the stove and range hood that got badly rusted up from the vent that was allowed to leak. Bathroom floor in tough shape - but we are not using that part right now. A few "surprises" but all in all, very gratifying as she responds to TLC.

A big THANKS! to all who have "been there" and written of their experiences as a help to us newbies.

Jim & Robin Pike
Victoria, BC
Jim Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Jim & Robin,
Condratulations on the "new trailer". I am sure it will brings you many years of enjoyment! The process of looking for a "keeper" is best discribed by the song The Gambler....
Quote:
You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Congratulations on your new trailer and thank you for rescuing another of these wonderful vacation machines. I am certain you will have years of fun and enjoyment both with camping and fixing up your treasure.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Smile Hooray for the 68's

It's so nice that you have finally found the trailer that would hit the mark...and it's a '68 Overlander International, twin bed! Same as ours! It's our first. (I feel we did pretty good on our choice!) We've had it for a couple summers now and are just now really digging in and fixing up things that definitely needed attention.

Our rear bath area needs to have a couple of feet of the flooring replaced. We have the marine plywood and have started removing the flooring. We had the rear end separation, which from what I understand, can be a common problem for A/S's of our year.

Inland Andy says to get the running gear all balanced on many of the threads, so we will definitely do so, when things are put all back together!

Our unit is front dinnette, middle twin and rear bath configuration. I'd love to swap info. I need to get to posting photos soon. Pictures ARE worth a thousand words!

Have fun with your new toy! I've found the "aluminumitis" just keeps growing! We've only had the opportunity to use our Roadrunner but a few times. I do believe there's a payback in what we spend out on our babies, in the form of aluminum "THERAPY", don't you??? Maybe I'm just the greatest tomboy ever! (Although, there's quite a few of us girls out there after you start reading the threads!) GIRL POWER!!!
Enjoy!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
congrats!

stop lookin and start spendin!

well, actually you never stop lookin'... #2 coming up! i'm a believer!

JP

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Help with odor

I wanted to share a tip that helped us out a whole lot. We had the musty odor as you have stated we had things recovered, cleaned the walls, had the drapes cleaned etc and i still had the hint of odor and what I did helped soooo much. I got a gallon of vinegar and many old coffee cups and filled each halfway up with the vinegar and placed in the closet, cabinets, everywhere and closed the trailer up for a few days and the odor was gone and is still gone.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
I wanted to share a tip that helped us out a whole lot. We had the musty odor as you have stated we had things recovered, cleaned the walls, had the drapes cleaned etc and i still had the hint of odor and what I did helped soooo much. I got a gallon of vinegar and many old coffee cups and filled each halfway up with the vinegar and placed in the closet, cabinets, everywhere and closed the trailer up for a few days and the odor was gone and is still gone.
So in effect, you gave your trailer a Vinegar _ouche?
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We too have tha musty trailer smell in the Overlander - and convinced it will go beyond the masking of all sorts of things. The floor is rotten in some places - hence the dry/wet rot smell that so many think is just an old trailer smell - it really is the floor plywood. (Same smell in an older boat with wood rot weather completly dry rotted or on the verge with wet damp wood.

Solution is either replace the rotten sections or seal them up with an epoxy or resin (if she is just a cabin with no traveling stress. Then paint the whole floor with oilbase floor paint.

This holds true for the wood cabinets that have been alowed to get wet continuously. They will have to be either replaced, sanded and sealed or the smell will always be there.

Another big source of musty smell is the insulation in the belly pan and on the bottom panels.

It is a big job - but worth getting rid of the smell.

Welcome Jim and Robin - you must post pictures!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I can tell by your message that you have the same deep feelings for your "new" trailer that most of us have for ours. I have a 24ft 1978 Argosy sitting down at the lake and it gives me such pleasure to know he's down there waiting and in the most wonderful shape that I am safe in any weather. He's been a great trailer from the day he was built in 1978, and still giving pleasure all these years later. I am lucky that he's been used and cared for before I got him. I plan to leave him to my grandchildren so they can know the fun of these wonderful Airstreams.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote