Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Found another Airstream need help.

Okay you can all say I'm so tired of her. But if you all will be patient we will find the right one and then we will alway's be asking how to. Anyway I have found a 68 model overlander so I have left the guy a msg to call me back but this is what I know it has been gutted, needs new subfloor, and will need some new windows. I know from this forum windows are kinda pricey any ballpark range of how much these are 2 are broken. What are some of the other questions I need to ask? The good thing the camper is only 1 hour away so I hope we can go look at it soon.
As I have posted before we wanted something shorter with our tv but we have decided we are just going to have to upgrade the tv because we need the space for our growing son.
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:04 AM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
With the trailer being gutted, it will be a significant challenge to build/create new everything. If you have the skills, patience, know how and the necessary tools/equipment to completely redo the interior, you'll have quite an expense on your hands. The floor will be a big challenge if its done right. The curved windows are being made through Airstream Dreams and range from $240 to $260 each depending on the size you need. Check them out at AirstreamDreams.com. Best of luck to you and post some pictures.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
what I should have said all the hard work has been taken out carpet, old cushions, bedding. The frames for all of this is there. Cabinets and woodwork still there
Old 09-29-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That makes a difference but if the floor needs redoing then all of the remaining items need to come out too. If the cabnetry is in good shape, that's a big plus.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Is this the one on ebay right now?

Can you replace the floor on your own? Do you know how much needs to be replaced? Part or the whole thing? Can you get more interior pix from him? Do any appliances work or the A/C.

I don't think they have done any hard work for you if all they have done is remove the cushions and curtains and tile. It still needs floor(biggie to me). Ask on here how much that costs if you have to pay someone to do it?

Those windows can leak pretty badly, too.
bdogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Windows are available through Airstreamdreams. The gasket material for the windows is available throught InlandRV. The floor is a big job. You most likely will need new axles too, they can be had through Axis Axle or InlandRV. The Curved Corning trailers (66-67-68) are a different breed, but have a lot incommon with the other years. The older coaches are a lot lighter than the new ones. A 68 Overlander is some where around 6000 gross weight.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Yes it is the one on ebay I have emailed the guy with a number of questions. Asked him could I come look at it before the bid is up but he has not answered at this time. On the floor deal I have a nice retired man that loves to tinker and is a great handyman he can fix anything he is slow though but he does everything just perfect. The guys feedback on ebay is not so good that worries me I like to deal with straight up folks. It's missing those windows also that is a concern.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Wow - big change in the scope of your purchase... for a first Airstream this is a pretty ambitious project.

Your choice to get a TV to fit your real needs in trailer is a great one and you won't regret it. We sometimes have to tow with puny exploder and HATE every minute of it. Looming molehills look like mountians, no room for error and it's really hard on the vehicle.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote