Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
'68 Overlander back hatch

Well...My baby is finally home.
I have an issue I hope someone can help me with. I cant get into the back hatch. I have keys, I opened just about every hatch on the sides of the trailer...the small key. Now I have a big key and it fits in the back hatch but it only turns a little bit. This is the hatch to the bathroom area. The knob turns a 1/4 turn but it still seems stuck.

Any suggestions.
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Well at least you have the hatch still. The 68 is NOTORIUS for losing that hatch going down the road.

Steve
Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eureka , California
My back hatch handle only turns about a quarter turn too. On the back of the handle is a pivot that controls the movement of three flat bars that slip into both sides and the bottom of the hatch opening. If the bars are not pulled back far enough, they won't clear the opening of the hatch. Since the hatch door is usually a bit smaller than the opening, try opening the handle as far as it will go and move the hatch door to one side and upward as far as you can. This might clear the bottom and one side bar enough to gently pull or wiggle the hatch loose. Once you do this, move the hatch door to the opposite side to clear the remaining bar. You should then be able to remove the hatch. I would also suggest you squirt some Tri Flow or other lubricant into the lock and once you get the hatch door out, treat the rear of the mechanism with the lubricant as well. If the bars clear the sides of the door, they should work without getting stuck. If they don't clear, then make adjustments as necessary.
Bobz Hog is offline   Reply With Quote