Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #21
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Top and Bottom

Photos of the Top and bottom: (sorry about the up side down)

Note I rid myself of the dreaded belly pan in order to bring the trailer up
to modern "Tankage" standards.

Instead I first sealed the dickens out of the ply wood. Laid 1.5" of silver backed foam insulation, covered in "Polyboard" (strong light weight plastic rated for bathrooms) and then sealed all the edges in spray foam followed by caulking.

Now all the wiring can be inspected and an eye kept out for the condition of the steel. With the belly pan you never know what's living under the trailer nor if the chassis needs paint.

The Yakima roof storage can hold 50lbs of "stuff" and it also acts as a base for the Solar Panels. Cool fact is that it opens from either side to 30degrees so one can point the panels at the sun better.

Note new bumper is a "snerf" bar....that's a borrowed F250 (over kill) and I can tow this trailer with my little 1/4 ton Ford Ranger around the country roads....would def. not do it on the high way....

In the final analysis this trailer can easily be pulled by a standard 6-8 cylinder 1/2 tone with a break control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-14 13.38.18.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	279899   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-14 13.39.31.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	279900  

Name:	2017-01-05 09.20.32.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	279901   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-05 09.23.44.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	279902  

Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
back a ways concerning the entry door...did you paint the vinyl inside if so what did you use?
I am just about to do that ...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I really like the open floor plan Del.
And especially the inner skins that you built, am I understanding that they are held in place by Velcro? Will that affect the shell strength? They sure look great!

Have you considered the weight ballance of having the batteries located way back there? Overall it must be much lighter than original with so much of that interior gone.

I truly appreciate the skills going into your work and outcome!
Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Gresham , Oregon
absolutely gorgeous! I especially appreciate the detail captured the photos and the prose.
BettyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #25
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Answers

The inner door panel I stripped with "Orange stuff. Under the Zolotone was a goldish color alum. and that gave me the idea to "decorate" the whole interior in a copper-ish motif.

I discussed most of my design with the folks and tech's at Al's RV in Bellingham as I went along.

Coming from the marine industry I get all kinds of worried about weights, balances and center of gravity.....

As regards the weight distribution;
After I weighed the trailer at a truck stop I found the GVW to be only 100lbs more (+) than original and even though the battery box and batteries probably weigh no more than 100lbs the original bathroom was more like 250lbs with out anything in the storage areas. Also the 20gal "black/grey" tank was back there for a sum of 140lbs so I am well with in the safety zone.
PLUS the hitch weight is 100lbs more than original which the tech's say is WAY better than 100 LESS!
Note worthy is what I have been led to believe that back in the 60's etc they used a GVW that included full tanks and supplies and now a-days it is with empty tanks etc.

In answer to your question about the Velcro; I used 100% coverage over the ribs and frames which was about 230 linear feet.....which equals millions of hooks and loops as opposed to a heaping hand full of oddly spaced rivets.
My logic (and we use this on high speed aluminum yachts for weight and service-ability) I've been beat up at sea at 18-25 knots on yachts built by P.J. and Burger boat and seen them flex and twist so I have no reason to fear the velcro....in fact it allows the flow of air between the inner and outer shell panels and a very minor amount of flexibility as opposed to ridged rivets.

Thanks and hope this helps....
Old 05-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #26
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
The boobe tube

Well I agonized over putting in a television but since I'm soon to put this
on the market the folks at Al's RV said that "you got to put in a TV"!!
Well I don't watch much (none) TV and it took me a while to figure out
where and then how to mount it.

Here is the end result! It takes up nearly zero space!
So I built a flip up shelf and put the TV on it but I was afraid it would fall over.
So then I made some little brackets that "clip" over the shelf when folded
down and made two "S" shaped holders to hold the top. They have a hole
drilled at one end and it goes over the window opening knob shaft.

The TV fits behind the bed on foam for traveling and the Sound Bar stows away as well. Sets up in 30 seconds.

What is also cool is it is reversible so you can watch TV outside!! Though the picture is a little degraded due to the screen material.

I got one of those flat Window antenna's and I pick up 5-6 channels IN THE BARN (have not tried it out side yet).....great for watching Beave it to Leaver and the Hillywood Hallbillies and Japanese and Chinese stations and a movie channel or two.

The "Smart TV" is almost exactly the size of the window so it's a little weird at first. Sorry the pic is tilted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-05-11 11.52.02.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	285281  

Tags