Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
1969 Overlander Roadside Window broken

My road side window took some road debris this weekend and is totally broken. Is there a DIY replacement thread for this replacement?
Aubiexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
Update - this is a Front Road Side Window. Also, see attached picture

Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are some threads, but you will have to hunt them down. Your best bet is to find a used replacement. Try Colaws' in MO. This style "wing window" started in 69 and continued into the late 70s. I think if I remember right a later window might not fit in a 69. Inland Andy, or others should be able to give you a definitive answer. My 71 had very thin single pane tempered glass on the wing windows. When they shattered I replaced it with thicker double pane glass from a 75. The double pane windows are subject to condensation inside. It is labor intensive to split the frame, clean them out, and put them back together. The internal gasket is no longer available, and you may not be able to reuse the old gasket. I floated the glass in Vulkem which and this was about 7 years ago with no problems. Some people have used Lexan, but this adds the problem of wind pressure from towing. Make sure to use UV resistant Lexan. Don't use Plexiglass.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubiexx View Post
Update - this is a Front Road Side Window. Also, see attached picture

You "DO NOT" have a 69 Airstream. If you did, that wing window would have a outside lower "square" corner, not round as shown in your photo.

Be glad as the wing windows for a 69 are almost $ 500.00 each.

The replacement wing window for you coach costs about $ 200.00.

You will also nee a tube of Vulkem sealer and some Olympic rivets.

Total replacing time is about 2 hours.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The 69 wing window is a one year only window. The difference between the 69 and later models is it has a square lower inboard corner and 70 and later have a radiused corner. The 69 windows are therefore harder to find. Check out ebay, Out-of Doors-Mart, Vintage Trailer Supply, and Inland RV for possible sources.

Some have replaced with a 70+ window and make a filler for the corner, or replace with Lexan. Either way you will have to drill out all the rivets to either replace with new frame and glass or disassemble the frame to install Lexan. Then riveting the assembly back in.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You have (solid)bucked rivets not shaved. You shave the olympic rivets mentioned earlier. What ever kind you have, they are removed from the outside regardless. I strongly encourage you to NOT use the olympic style rivet unless you absolutely have to. If you remove the plastic frame on the inside, you will have complete access to the rivet line and can do it correctly. If you do not have access to a rivet gun and bucking bar, take to someone who does.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I think they make drill guides to help, but really all you need it a drill and bit. When I drilled some out, I used a small bit to make a starting hole, so the main drill bit wound not wonder off the rivet head. Them I drilled out the buck rivet with the larger bit. I can't remember the size, 1/8th?? Others might know.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 28
1978 28' Argosy 28
Lodi , California
After you install the window, install a rock guard to protect all that glass!
They are available thru Odmrv and inland but are $400+ shipping (>$100+). I found mine as only the frame On Craigslist. It looked all bent and wimpy but once we installed the Lexan type material ($120 cut to size by TAP plastic) and screwed it together it shaped up nicely. We used screws so we could remove them if needed. We used gas shocks instead of the slide arms and rubber hood locks to secure it. It does flex a little bit when towing so we put little rubber dots to keep it from rubbing. Also had to order the long hinge piece from Odmrv. Total cost $170.
I never want to have to replace my wing window because I have a '69! Rock guard is well worth it!

Here is One listed on Craigslist in California, they are out there you just have to search them out.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/rvs/4183601745.html
Best of luck on the replacement!
triterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
1. Use a centerpunch to get the drill hole started.
2. I agree with the Rockguard but regular Lexan will yellow over time. Get the UV type.
I am thinking about making some removable Lexan rockguards just for the wing windows. I think hat is where you are most likely to get road damage and the middle piece is flat glass and not so difficult to replace.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Here is a '69 front end, you can see the wing window on the curb side has a square lower corner.

So yours is not a '69. I just did the job of replacing with acrylic, and you can read about it here, if you want to: AirDreaming | The greatest WordPress.com site in all the land!
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #11

1969 27' Overlander
New Plymouth , Idaho
Did you have any luck? We broke one this weekend....
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
It's a fairly easy job. Took about 2 hours. Just drill out the rivets, line up the new window, apply Vulkem, Pop the Olympic rivets and shave with a dremel.

You can call Vintage Trailer and they can get you the right rivets, vulkem, and window. Their shipping charges were about 1/3 of other locations who had the window, and saved me about 30 bucks. Good help on the phone as well.