Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Very nice floor covering. I like glue down floors as opposed to "click" type engineered floors. My Overlander has a glued down vinyl floor. It is a bit worse for wear, but it seems to me it protects the subfloor better.

Don't spill a gallon of paint on the beautiful floor!

David

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 AM   #114
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
It looks really nice. I like the colour.

chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:56 AM   #115
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Thanks guys for the kind words .

David don’t jinx me on the spilled milk ! LOL

It is snap togeather with a rubber back that I glued down . It is waterproof. I called the manufacturer and they suggested I glue it down if cabinets were to be on top and screwed down . Checked it this morning, after having heat on it all night , and it is solid .
I’ll drink my coffee and get after it . Blue
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Very nice! I would suggest, though, if I haven't already that cabinets be screwed to the wall, and left "floating" on the floor. These trailers have a fair amount of flex when traveling. If you screw to the floor, it puts stress on the cabinets when the trailer flexes. We installed aluminum angles on the wall and then screwed to them. Our lounge chairs are installed over bolts in the floor and can lift off if we need to take them out. The table is screwed down, and the frame for the refrigerator, but that's all.
We were advised on that trick by Uwe, who does custom AS conversions in L.A.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
Minno , Kay do you let the wood of the cabinets sit right on the floor or does it have a pad or plastic cap on the bottom . How about your cross walls like the bath and the ones that support the bed . Starting cabinets by this week end .
Thanks for the input .
Blue
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Wow, Nice Work

I read through your thread on your Overlander and I am very impressed with the quality of work. I wish I had the tools and space to do my own metal work, but alas, I don't. Finding someone here in Florida to do that for me, who knows what they are doing, and charges reasonable rates will be challenging.

Thank You for checking in on me and offering help. I appreciate it. I am such an Airstream novice.

Bill
wcronin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
We were all beginners at one point. But we learn by doing, and we learn from each other. Thus the beauty of these Forums.

I have already screwed my cabinetry to the walls and floor. Airstream did the same thing. I think if a guy has a total "click" joint floor, then letting the cabinets slip on the floor as the trailer flexes is a necessary idea. I put a click type floor in the son's Globetrotter but just in front of the cabinetry, not under it, as instructed. Joyflea's floor is glued to the subfloor so it won't separate. I do have examples where my old cabinetry does show stress "separations" at joints due to the flexing I think. Minno's idea is a good one.

I'm doing it backwards as usual. I deemed the old glued down vinyl floor in my Overlander adequate for now. I will install a new floor covering next year possibly. My trailer will be used by my sons and their kids and dogs. So I expect some aggressive wear and tear. It doesn't need to be a "glamper", but just a regular old everyday blue jeans Airstream.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Following.

Astounding work.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, David is right that we have a click lock cork floor that runs the entire trailer, except the bathroom. We put it in before starting cabinets. The cabinets rest on the floor, no spacers. The partition walls are fastened only to the exterior walls of the trailer and not to the floor. The bed is also fastened to the exterior wall and the bathroom partition wall, but floats on the floor.
Cabinets are constructed of basswood frames made out of 1 x 2's (if I'm remembering right) with red alder faces, doors, and trim. Both are light weight woods. Upper cabinets are fastened to the walls of the trailer with piano hinges. Bed is a little heftier construction with 2 x 2's and plywood top. It has a partition running down the centerish, top to bottom to separate interior storage from exterior storage compartments.
We spent a fair amount of time with cardboard mockups and painters tape in the trailer to get the spacing and layout right for us. It was worth the effort.
Cabinets are really exciting for me because I begin to see the reality of all the planning and work!

Kay
Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #122
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
We spent a fair amount of time with cardboard mockups and painters tape in the trailer to get the spacing and layout right for us. It was worth the effort.” Minno

CAD, Cardboard Aided Design… Best path to success.

From time to time there's chatter and requests for CAD programs to redesign Airstream interiors. I learned AutoCAD 25 years ago, and what I can design inside an Airstream with a computer program is pitifully pale compared to what can be done with pencil and paper, cardboard and tape.

In my old age, I've returned to the comfort of drawing with drafting pencils and toothy paper. I came to my interior with eraser smudged 1/4” graph paper and perspective sketches. The “plan” only had to be good enough for “me” to understand. The drawings are not going to be presented to anyone or published.

Using cardboard and tape, I discovered that plan, elevation, and 3D design, never gives one the feeling of passage, movement and working areas inside the Airstream's womb-like space. Mock it up, and “be there”. Then you'll know how to make the trailer fit you. I mocked up the interior, and worked around it for a few weeks. Expanded this, trimmed that.

Fabricating the interior furnishings is a fun phase. It's kinda cool when you don't have to sit on a drywall bucket anymore.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Screwing cabinets to the floor

Just a quick observation and question with regard to cabinets left floating on the floor.
I just finished removing all the cabinetry and partitions out of my Sovereign and all of it was screwed to the floor from the factory.

Do AS cabinets flex more than standard stick built cabinets?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Chris used a CAD program initially to plan the trailer interior, and then we refined it when we got to the point of actually starting cabinetry. Our original design moved the bathroom from the rear of the trailer to the center. Found out when we mocked it up that we were losing most of our already limited exterior storage compartments, and would have to move or eliminate a window. I protested emphatically about these things, and started perusing the vintage AS section. Found a design we could both live with.
Wcronin4: I don't know if cabinets flex more. I just know that we were advised by an experienced, highly regarded AS renovator at the Vintage Trailer Academy (put on by Four Corners Unit for a few years - gone now) to not screw to the floor if we could help it, because the walls and floor flex more than box trailers do.
My hubby and I are not experts by any means, having done only 1 trailer. There are others who've done multiple trailers, and they may have another opinion. I just know that our trailer has been on the road for 6 years now with no cabinet issues at all. So far, so good.

Kay
Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #125
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
My original 1968 cabinets were hanging together by threads, poorly designed, sloppily installed, very low budget, but still mostly there after fifty years.

I didn't use any glue joins. My “site/stick-built” base cabinets are pocket screwed and face screwed. They're built off a wall ledger at counter-top height, and fastened to the wood floor with pocket screws or blocks. The wheelhouse covers, faced in cabinet plywood, are integral to the base cabinets.

I'd imagine that cabinet bases flex more in a travel trailer than they would in a residential kitchen. I don't know where a '68GT measures on the Richter Scale.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Piano hinges

I thought the use of piano hinges for mounting cabinets was genius.

Tags