Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2004, 12:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Try some albany brake cleaner from Autozone or Kragen shot into the vent openers. The sitting has allowed the greas to dry out and basicly tur to a sludge. Brake clean will dislve the grease. Had a towel under it to catch the waterfall of crud.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Hi Tamara,
Congrats on your purchase! I just purchased a 1966 26' Overlander too. Our girl is a custom build from the factory. She has the double benchs up front with the table (instead of the couch). She also has a 3/4 bed instead of twins, which gives us tons of storage on the opposite side. Our bath is in the rear like yours and we like it that way. I had to pull her 850 miles to get her home, but the previous owner had put all new tires on, so she pulled like a dream. I have her at the shop right now getting a couple of boo-boo's fixed and all her systems checked out. She is beautiful inside, just a little dusty :-)
I will post pictures soon. We should keep in touch on places for parts. I know I will be looking to replace my tail light covers. I am jealous that you have a bottle opener on your trailer, I was thinking about installing one somewhere inside. I have one in my house that is mounted and it's so handy. I'm in total agreement about the smoke detector, but I think carbonmonoxide is a big threat, so think about picking one of those up too. Always remember to keep one of your overhead vents cracked open at night if you are running the stove or furnace.
It seems we are living in parallel worlds at the opposite ends of the universe! We are taking a trip in August as well, but to Idaho, Washington and Oregon. Were are going to do some weekenders before hand to get used to working the systems and to make sure we have all the supplies we need. You will want at least 1 of the long lighters for your furnace, stove and HW heater pilot lighting needs.
I'll stop rambling, but I'm sure I'll think of more things to share.
Robin out
Old 02-24-2006, 07:41 AM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Robin,

Congrats to your new acquisition! Sounds like a nice unit. I would have preferred the large double bed like yours and Tamra's to the twin bed arrangement that I have.

This thread started in 2002. So I believe Tamra has already been on the her trip. Since you live in Phx, I will invite you to a trip my wife and I do in May. We go to Rocky Point Mexico and stay at a trailer park on the beach. It is the first weekend before Memorial day. It is a very casual weekend. So you are invited if you choose.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Hello fellow "really old Airstream" owners. I had bought a 1958, 26ft Overlander International, that I haven't towed home yet. This is a California, built trailer with a bunk bed and full bed on the curb side in back. It has vista view windows on the rear curb side also. I will need lots of help if I'm going to do anything with this trailer. Hope we can all learn together. I want pictures of everything anyone else does. Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

I'm baaaaaack!

Hey Action, long time no talk. I see you have been busy around here on the forums whilst I was away. (Well never really, truly gone..but I haven't been posting in a long time!)

I wanted to revive this thread to say hi to old friends and new - Robin, I saw your post in my axle thread last week and wanted to say howdy to another Overlander owner!

Action - do you go to that place in Mexico every year? We have been wanting to go to Mexico, some friends drive an RV waaaaaayyyyyy down south in Mexico every year, but we thought maybe something a tad closer to start out would be good for us. I'll have to look up Rocky Point and see where it is exactly. I take it you dig this place or you wouldn't be going back regularly!

This year we are pulling Airabelle to the Buffalo National River, in north west Arkansas for a big family vacation. Will be our first road trip with her since the big trip out to CA, which was amazing but hard on the trailer. Anyway, we have been neglecting the old girl for a couple of years and now we are ready to bring her back to running shape and get out on the road where she belongs! I'm hoping for another short trip in June with friends, looking for a good spot in the Midwest.

Robin, I hope you have a great trip to the Pacific NW, what a beautiful place! I loved northern CA and Idaho too. I'll have to go see if you posted pics of your trailer yet, I'd love to see how it compares to ours. I truly wish we had a front dinette, but man they are hard to find in some models. Congrats!!

I thought I would post in this forum a new thread about our current repairs, some of you may know we just took the trailer into the factory for some work. I figured the Overlander forum might be the best place to let people know what to expect when dealing with the same kind of issues in a similar model. Watch for a post soon as I get more details.

Spring is here and it's time to go CAMPING!!
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Rocky Point (or Puerto Penasco) is about 60 miles from the AZ/MX border town of Lukeville AZ. It is in the Mexican free zone. That is the area near the Mexican borders that does not require a passport or fees to drive in Mexico. Here is a link to the local tourist paper. http://www.rptimes.com/

From Phoenix we are 4 hours (towing - 3 non-towing) from Rocky Point. It is a very easy drive and is the closest point to an ocean from Phoenix. That is why we go. To see the sea! The camping is on the beach. So we can tow our bullet down and park with full hook ups and walk to the beach every day. We go every year on the week/weekend before Memorial day. Love to have you come out. Should you wish to go (anyone) please just contact me. We would be happy to go with.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Action,
Sounds like a great spot, and a good possiility for our road trip next May - will drop you a line if we wander your way! Thanks for the link and info.

On our way to Jackson Center Wednesday to pick up our baby post-repairs. Will be doing the factory tour this time, looking forward to it!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Hi Folks,
I got a windows question. I noticed when I crank my windows open that they are just hanging out there at head height for someone to run into. Do any of you have an idea how I can make this more safe (I'd hate to have someone take out an eye or something)?

Robin out
Old 03-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #29
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Robin,

Having the same trailer (in the same city) I usually place the windows totally extended and have had no issues. I am 5'8" and my wife is 5'7". However in the neck of the woods I camp in, I seldom get the opportunity to open the windows. The A/C is almost always on when I am using the trailer for camping. (Rocky Point, MX)

However I have had the issue of the pot metal bracket break that is part of the window opening mechanisim. Getting replacements is not that EZ either.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

I can't BELIEVE you just asked about windows being dangerous, Robin! What timing. Right before we took Airabelle over to the factory last week, I had the galley window open to ventilate while I was using bleach to clean the counters. I didn't open the window all the way, because frankly I am not patient enough to crank them all the way up sometimes.

My sweetie, Jeff, stopped by the trailer after work to help me, and when we were were going 'round the back side to check the rear bumper condition - SMACK!! - he walked right into the open window. Nasty dent on his forehead, accompanied by a bit of blood. I felt soooo bad

I can't think of any way to make the corners less dangerous, but I DO recommend at least opening the windows all the way as that should at least prevent those of us who are shorter from running into them. If your travelmates are taller, perhaps placing a colored bit of tape or something along the edge of the window would be helpful. I would be careful to use something that is easily removed and make sure it does not interfere with the window seal. That, and let folks know that "windows are up!" when you crank them open. If I had only told him, he probably would have been paying closer attention!!

....leaving tomorrow to pick up our girl at the factory - $1700 for the final bill. Will post details upon our return!
Old 03-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #31
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
When opening the windows, I have discovered that if I crank them all the way the window is supported better than if it is 3/4 open. Has less chance of breaking the support arm. http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/91499-bararm66.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Tags
1966, 1966 overlander