Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
Wow, I'm lucky! Just a tiny bit of rot.

Finally started work on my '69 sovereign. I've had it for 4 years and was debating on whether to leave it alone or customize it. I decided to customize after bringing it home from the Ranch campground where it has been for 20 years to get new axles on it. The ride home did some real rivet popping. I didn't realize the rear end was dropped a bit because the floor had rotted just at the union to frame at the rear storage ( such a bad design there!) The bad axles on the 50 mile country road home doing 40 mph caused just enough bouncing to pop rivets and twist things a bit.

I've decided to rearrange things but to reuse all the walnut for all the finish. This trailer is amazing! Extremely clean and very very little "needs" to be done. The only water damage is at that rear spot. The walls are sticky as heck and all the wood is as dry as can be. All the appliances work like charms. The dometic fridge works great but does have the lower inside door panel missing (something I've been looking for for 4 years, to no avail.)

Anyone have any suggestions for reading for the repair of that back floor? It is only rotted about half an inch inside the wall and only a litte wider than the rear window. The apron on the 69 is integral so I'm hoping I can fix this without lifting it. I do need to get that back tightened up again and maybe add a sheet of aluminum to stop the water outside from resting on that section and soaking in.

I've gutted the trailer already and have cleaned up all the wood to be ready for reuse. I won't be using some original things like the "handles" and bath stuff. I'll be comprising a list for sale,trade, or gift soon.

Ed
Breadbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Fridge lower shelf

"The dometic fridge works great but does have the lower inside door panel missing (something I've been looking for for 4 years, to no avail.) "

Breadbug, I just replaced my '69 rm60 dometic, but haven't disposed of it yet. Do you have a picture of what you need? It's yours if it fits.
It is 40" tall.
wander'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Breadbug check out this thread. He just repaired the rear bathroom floor without removing the shell. If you ask me it is easier to remove the shell, do your repairs, and replace your floor. I just got done with a big frame/floor repair.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote