Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Would you worry about this flooring?

I want to look at a Airstream that has been remodeled but want to make sure the flooring is ok. The black and white tile runs up to the gaucho with the carpet and plywood underneath the folded down gaucho. Is this plywood ok to use as flooring in a camper?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRSTREAM FLOORING.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	193067  
sabegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I can't tell much from the picture. I assume the flooring is over the plywood sub floor.

Most any flooring material should be ok- as long as it stays dry. The question really is does the trailer leak?

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Looks like chip board to me... not a good choice for a sub-floor. If it gets wet, it will deteriorate faster than you can say "shell-off floor replacement".
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
What year is that airstream it might've been made or built with OSB board.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Added picture

Yes, I think it's chipboard or OSB. Bummer. I liked the camper. It's a 1976 Safari.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AIRSTREAM FLOORING 2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	193070  
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
For a subfloor made from a wood product I prefer plywood. Almost all trailers will leak someday. That particular type of subfloor is not very forgiving when it gets wet.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabegirl View Post
Yes, I think it's chipboard or OSB. Bummer. I liked the camper. It's a 1976 Safari.
Well has the whole floor been replaced, or did they just lay this down on top of the old floor? Depending on the price, and the overall shape of the trailer it could still be worth it. How is the shell? Is it a rear bath? Do you have more pics?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
That looks like OSB, but I don't think they made OSB back in 1976. I may be wrong. It may be OSB that has been installed over the plywood subfloor.

OSB does not deteriorate nearly as fast as particle board. If Plywood is a 10, then OSB may be a 7, but particle board is a 1.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Added picture

The body is in good shape. Rear bath. I haven't talked to the owner yet but I'll find out if the floor was patched or if it's the complete floor replacement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream 3.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	193071  
Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
That looks like OSB, but I don't think they made OSB back in 1976. I may be wrong. It may be OSB that has been installed over the plywood subfloor.

OSB does not deteriorate nearly as fast as particle board. If Plywood is a 10, then OSB may be a 7, but particle board is a 1.

Dan
And it depends on the quality of the osb board. If you are planning on replacing the flooring any way, you can seal the OSB on top with and oil based floor paint or epoxy sealer. From the side shot there looks like there is some clearance under the axles. That looks good.

Step on the back bumper to check for rear end seperation, and poke around on the back floor with a screw driver or ice pick to check for floor rot. How much are they asking?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
$7400.00

I'll find out what was done to the flooring and what type was used.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Stay away....if they put that in as sub floor or as an overpayment....it is poor workmanship, You would have problems either way. Figure the cost of a replacement floor, deduct that from the asking price and go from there. Do not forget....time and money. Thats what your facing.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The concern I would have is that the previous owner stripped the interior down to the subfloor, and found that it was rotting all around the perimeter. Then, instead of pulling the shell and removing the rotting floor, the just laid this particle board over top of the rotting plywood, covered it with carpet and tile, and called it a restoration.

If you look closely at the bottom of the wall, you should be able to tell if the walls sit on the particle board, or if the particle board butts up against it. If they replaced the subfloor with particle board, as mentioned above, it is marginal, as they chose a poor material in their rebuild. If the particle board is covering rotten subfloor, then there is still a problem, that you will eventually have to fix. The next question will be whether you can get an honest answer from the PO about how rotten the subfloor is, since you will have no way of inspecting it with the particle board laid on top of it.

At a glance, I would say this trailer looks like something that has had a rather superficial redecoration job. You should inquire as to whether the axles have been replaced.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote