Old 10-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #15
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I meant to give you an idea of how much tape you might need: We have a 34' Avion. It has one main seam from front to rear, and a cross seam at the front and end caps. I covered all of that, around each air vent, around 3 or 4 plumbing vents, around the antenna base, and cut small squares to cover every rivet head on the roof. I used the 4" wide tape. Used one complete 50' roll and maybe 1/2 of another. The cost per roll was approx $50/roll. As good as it works, I'm of the opinion that it is a very worthwhile investment. It'll be a breeze on a new trailer. On an older one, you just need to do a good job of cleaning the area to be covered. Mine was a nightmare because the previous owner must have gotten a good deal on a truck load of clear silicone. What a mess (and DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!). Spent a LOT of time cleaning that mess off. Once that was done, applying the tape was easy!

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
I meant to give you an idea of how much tape you might need: We have a 34' Avion. It has one main seam from front to rear, and a cross seam at the front and end caps. I covered all of that, around each air vent, around 3 or 4 plumbing vents, around the antenna base, and cut small squares to cover every rivet head on the roof. I used the 4" wide tape. Used one complete 50' roll and maybe 1/2 of another. The cost per roll was approx $50/roll. As good as it works, I'm of the opinion that it is a very worthwhile investment. It'll be a breeze on a new trailer. On an older one, you just need to do a good job of cleaning the area to be covered. Mine was a nightmare because the previous owner must have gotten a good deal on a truck load of clear silicone. What a mess (and DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!). Spent a LOT of time cleaning that mess off. Once that was done, applying the tape was easy!
Thanks PaulnGina! good info.

Do you happen to have photos of applying the tape to air/plumbing vents, the antenna base, and roof rivet heads? That would be very helpful.

I'm going to order the tape, but I suspect I need to wait till spring to apply it, as its cold and I am worried the tape might not attach properly.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #17
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
san francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp View Post
All you can do is do maintenance ,and inspections to try and delay the floor rot issue. It's simple when wood gets wet ,it rots , the airstream design and or materials needs to change to eliminate this problem that's been going on since airstream was invented, I own a 2015 and was waxing it yesterday and noticed the caulking around the roof vent and antenna base had cracks in it , today I remouved the old caulking and resealed it. Airstreams are a lot of work! Even 2015 's , I've attached some pictures the close up photos show a crack in the caulking .

Don
Now that is a pretty sloppy caulking job.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I'm on my phone so I can't look at my album very easily, but I think I posted some pictures of the roof project there. If not, I'll be glad to post some.

For the air vents, I used a piece of the 4" tape that was about 3 or 4 inches longer than the edge of the vent base where it contacts the roof. Laid the tape so that it went an inch up the vertical edge of the vent, cut a slit at each end of the vertical edge so the tape would lay down on the horizontal base of the vent. Did that on all four sides of each vent. That provided a nice looking covering of the seam between the vent and the roof. Some might dispute how good it looks, but I think it looks much better than any of those other sealers that get glopped on those seams.

As for the plumbing vents and the antenna base, I used three pieces of tape and laid them in a triangle pattern around the base seam of the vent. That covered those seams nicely.

Same basic pattern for the antenna base.

For the rivet heads, I used scissors to cut approx. 1-1/2" squares of tape and covered all of the rivets on the roof that way.

For a 34' trailer, it was REALLY nice to see the end of that project! As I said earlier, the most tedious part of the entire job was cleaning all of that nasty silicone and brush-on roof coating off of the seams and the rivets. Had to make sure that ALL of the silicone was removed thoroughly, but the brush-on stuff wasn't so bad because the tape will stick to that as long as it's clean and not loose. Probably overkill, but before I added the tape, I shot a bead of ParBond in the seam. I'm very satisfied with the results, and confident that I won't have to worry about roof leaks for a LOT of years.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #19
texastex

1984 34' Excella
GARLAND , Texas
I treat naked Woods with a spray own solution I make. Of 50% non-diluted antifreeze, 25% Borax, 25% boric acid. I take borax boric acid and diluted with water and boil it to dissolve. After cooling I pour the mixture along with antifreeze in the proper proportions into a garden sprayer spray areas that might leak and have leaked
The wood that is more severely rotted but not broken through the use penetrated epoxy on those areas after the solution has dried a couple of days.
It works great give some protection to fungus, Wood rot insects don't like it. Even seems to dry out previously wet wood. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
I'm on my phone so I can't look at my album very easily, but I think I posted some pictures of the roof project there. If not, I'll be glad to post some.

For the air vents, I used a piece of the 4" tape that was about 3 or 4 inches longer than the edge of the vent base where it contacts the roof. Laid the tape so that it went an inch up the vertical edge of the vent, cut a slit at each end of the vertical edge so the tape would lay down on the horizontal base of the vent. Did that on all four sides of each vent. That provided a nice looking covering of the seam between the vent and the roof. Some might dispute how good it looks, but I think it looks much better than any of those other sealers that get glopped on those seams.

As for the plumbing vents and the antenna base, I used three pieces of tape and laid them in a triangle pattern around the base seam of the vent. That covered those seams nicely.

Same basic pattern for the antenna base.

For the rivet heads, I used scissors to cut approx. 1-1/2" squares of tape and covered all of the rivets on the roof that way.

For a 34' trailer, it was REALLY nice to see the end of that project! As I said earlier, the most tedious part of the entire job was cleaning all of that nasty silicone and brush-on roof coating off of the seams and the rivets. Had to make sure that ALL of the silicone was removed thoroughly, but the brush-on stuff wasn't so bad because the tape will stick to that as long as it's clean and not loose. Probably overkill, but before I added the tape, I shot a bead of ParBond in the seam. I'm very satisfied with the results, and confident that I won't have to worry about roof leaks for a LOT of years.
Thanks PaulnGina, I found your aptly named "2014 Roof project" album It had all the photos I was looking for.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #21
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
You are welcome. Glad to help!