Old 06-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #15
. , .
Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
Wouldn't the Vinyl tiles be better than the sheet vinyl?
generally no.

the real floor (sub floor) moves a lot...

as a result the ideal flooring needs to tolerate that movement.

a/s only attaches the vinyl or carpet at the edges, it is NOT glued down, just stapled at the perimeter.

and the entire interior sits ON TOP of the original flooring....

so there are many details you've left out like...

the trailer specs,
what areas u plan to replace,
how much interior is coming out
what you plan to 'cut around'
how the edges will be finished
and so on.

a solid sheet of whatever material applied in a floating fashion is a pretty good approach...

easy to clean, durable, can be accented with area rugs and so on...

although many here are happy with tiles or other segmented flooring they've chosen...

read the flooring forum there are LOTS of good threads and pretty pictures...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
pagosa springs , Colorado
Ok, something to consider.

gc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Here is a shot of a single sheet of marmoleum placed into our '67. We haven't used it yet- but another reason we liked this product is that it is totally green no chemicals- and as our dogs spend alot of time laying around on it and eating off of it - it should be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	61931  
April & Andy Hershberger
3streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
We used the tile squares when we redid the floor in the old Argosy. We used Marmoleum when we redid our kitchen last fall. If i had it to do all over again, i would have spent a little more and done marmoleum in the trailer. It is a great product.
2009 F-350 FX4 Crewcab 4x4 6.4l
former '78 Argosy 20' Minuet owner
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Looks good, thanks.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
How about Trafficmaster or Purgo from Home Depot as a flooring?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #21
The SilverSleeper
1992 21' Sovereign
Daphne , Alabama
Flooring GC24

Some people leave carpet in the bedroom area and wood in the kit. and entrance, What size Airstream do you have and what is the layout?
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
21', rear bedroom, couch in the front of it and side kitchen.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We used Quick-Step laminate flooring which is similar to Pergo. Not terribly difficult to install although care is needed in fitting it as it is a free floating product. After 3 years (a total of 15 months full-timing), it still looks great.

We did not install it in the bathroom (there we used ceramic tile) as the product literature recommends against it.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Ok, thanks.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1972 23' Safari
Tallassee , Alabama
Just to throw in my 2 cents. My wife picked out a very nice vinyl floor. The goal was to have a thick enough of a top coat to not be ruined the first time someone tracked sand into the camper. The color is such that it doesn't show the dirt either.

The problem with this stuff is that it needs to be glued down all over.

I first put done a layer of 1/4" luan on top of the original plywood floor. I stapled the two floors together. Then I put the new floor down.

It worked pretty well. One problem I ran into was in two middle areas of the floor. I didn't put down enough staples so after the vinyl floor was down it pulled two areas up, sort of like it bubbled but it was the sub flooring. No way to fix it now though.

The other thing, which I haven't figured out a good solution to was in the front. We took the AS out for a trip a few weeks ago and it rained a lot the entire trip. Well, there were some leaks in the front and driving through heavy rain made everything worse, so the floor in front got soaked. The water got under the subfloor and stayed there. I had to remove a bunch of the floor to dry it out.

I think I have enough flooring left over from the original installation to fix it. This won't happen until I am sure I have all the leaks repaired though.

Tom Bray
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Just finished installing Prego from Loew's this weekend. Laid it lengthwise, and it was labor intensive to fit all the nooks and crannies!

The Prego I used comes with a foam backing already attached, and the 8 x 47 inch planks lock together. I used 5, 17.5 sq ft boxes to completely cover the floor in our 28 ft Ambassador...twin beds, rear bath. I did not remove the gaucho, installed Prego around it.

I'm sealing all the edges in the bathroom to help prevent any water from entering to the sub-floor and damaging the laminate...

I'm pleased with the outcome, the Prego 'floats' and lays's easy to walk on, and the additional thickness compared to plain vinyl flooring will help insulate the floor, and provide an easy clean up at the beach, etc...Swifter Duster, here we come.

I'll take some pic's this week...I was too busy to take any during the installation...

The carpet held that 'musty' smell in our older AS, also, carpet tends to hold the tracked in dust, sand, etc, and it's hard to ever get it all up with a vacuum cleaner, IMHO.
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Here's some pics of the Prego Indian Tigerwood laminated flooring mentioned in post above:

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
Baltimore , Maryland
Originally Posted by gc24 View Post
What would be the best floorig to use on an AS that has carpet now and I want to replace it with something that is easy to clean, put in and durable?
I If you can swing the budget, Marmoleum, a trademark name for linoleum, not to be confused with vinyl or vinyl composition tiles and it is a very solid product.

I work in construction and I've used the Marmoluem sheet in commercial applications and the click in residential applications.

I believe I was getting provide and install prices of $8.50sqft, but Id have to pull out the project folder to verify that, and that is in the Baltimore market.

Marmoluem sheet was installed in the public first floor of the below building. They may have photos of it on their website.

Herring Run Watershed Association

One of your posts made mention to durability. If it is tough enough for a commercial application, it will certainly be tough enough for use in your Airstream.

One of the pros of linoleum, aside from the fact that it is an actual 'green' product and not a 'green washed' product', i.e. - bamboo, is that the color runs throughout the product so if it gets scratched, it usually doesn't show.

I would recommend that you have a professional installer do the installation because it is glued down and because since it is a natural product there is shrink!

My wife and I have recently acquired out first RV and first Airstream and I've already talked to a few flooring subcontractors that I used for linoleum installations and the same pre-installation preparation needs to occur, but it would be no different than a typical installation.

Good luck,

paddler3d is offline   Reply With Quote