Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
Where to put j bolts, screws and adhesive

I am about to snowbird my way back down to NW Florida to continue with the renovation of my 1968 Globetrotter. Last winter I removed the interior, inside skins and insulation. The axle was replaced and the last three feet of frame (badly rusted) was cut off and brought home as a model for a rebuild over the summer. The entire floor was removed and now the area below the shell C channel is now completely clear of obstructions. New 3/4” floor plywood has been cut and put in place to check fit. This winter I will reattach the floor after completing frame repairs. The new floor is in six pieces with one fore and aft joint down the center and two transverse joints near the second cross frame from each end. Plywood plates at least 6” wide glued and screwed to the underside of the floor will be used at all joints. These will prevent joint movement and serve as shims at depressed cross frame members.

When I removed the old floor I noticed that the perimeter connections (at the C channel) consisted of a combination of screws and elevator bolts. I also noticed also that elevator bolts were not always used at the ends of the outriggers. Can anyone tell me the appropriate location for the elevator bolts and the number and spacing of screws. I'm pretty sure what I'll do out in the middle of the floor. In the old floor, 3 bolts were used through each frame. I will use 4 in each frame in the replacement floor since there is that joint down the middle.

Another thing, what (if any) adhesive should I use between the frame and the new floor?

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this.

John
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
I guess I'll chime in on this one. The bolts for the c channel are through the last hole of your outriggers. They are placed with the bolt head below the subfloor and the nut/washer in the channel. I used 5/16 dia. stainless steel bolts, washers and locknuts. The carriage bolts (or elevator bolts) are used for the rest of the install in the field of the subfloor. I used a rubberized tape between the wood and the frame that is normally used to seal underground electrical conduit. I can't remember what glue I used for the joints, but you'll want something that doesn't fire too quickly so you can maneuver the panels to fit.
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote