Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
Seeking Grayling

1963 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Where to buy U-C Channel

I saw somewhere a picture of a u-c channel for the floor that appeared extruded. It had the U but also a c channel that fit over the edge of the floor. Now I can't find the post where I saw it. Can any one tell me please where that channel can be purchased? It appeared very sturdy. The 63 I have had very thin sheet aluminium which I must replace. Any help would be most appreciated.
hazelcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My neighbor, who is restoring the '58 Silver Streak I sold him, simply went to a sheet metal shop and had them bend some up for him in the exact widths he needed. It was not very expensive and he got what he needed. That might be an option for you.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
My neighbor, who is restoring the '58 Silver Streak I sold him, simply went to a sheet metal shop and had them bend some up for him in the exact widths he needed. It was not very expensive and he got what he needed. That might be an option for you.

Barry
Ditto, just get some .032 or .040 aluminum,any grade, and find someone with a metal brake. The orig. was simply that- scrap 2024 alclad , except for some of the corner areas which may have been extruded, but you can slit and shape as reqired,
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Seeking Grayling

1963 24' Tradewind
shell off need extruded c channel

Anyone have a source for extruded c channel that cups the end of the floor? I saw a post somewhere a while ago that had a photo of manufactured channel. Now I can't find it. I can make a c channel on a brake but think that there is a manufactured product that costs a lot more, my wife would appreciate that. Any help would be appreciated. Wife suggested that I buy an aluminum mine and an extruding machine. She doesn't really understand.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Metal

I had my local heating co. cut and bent the metal for me. 2024-T6 is what every one I talked to used. Just take in the old chunk and have them match the dimentions. It should be close but not exact.
The Channel that is used for attaching to the floor and inner and outer skins is extruded and can be located at an aircraft supply store.
Hope that helps
BB 55 Bubble
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
U-C Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelcreek
I saw somewhere a picture of a u-c channel for the floor that appeared extruded. It had the U but also a c channel that fit over the edge of the floor. Now I can't find the post where I saw it. Can any one tell me please where that channel can be purchased? It appeared very sturdy. The 63 I have had very thin sheet aluminium which I must replace. Any help would be most appreciated.
Hi hazelcreek; I know that Out OF Doors Mart has the curved corner pieces but I did not asked about straight runs. Call Paul or Ben at 866-636-2267. They are located in Kernersville NC. Good Luck, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
The extruded u-channel with the c-channel on the bottom was evidently introduced in the early seventies or there abouts. As I understand it earlier AS's have just the u-channel which could easily be made up by a sheet metal shop. Also, on my 1973, the u-channel that bends around the curves at the ends does not have the c-channel part.

Malcolm
Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Try http://www.airforums.com/forum...nel-27818.html

Calvin
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Channel

I found today a place in White City Oregon that has a bunch of different size channel that will cut to length and ship. Give them a call. Their name is White City Metal. Call them and have micrometer in hand with a chunk of what you are trying to replace.
I hope that will help a bit more than my first post
BB 55 Bubble
Old 03-10-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Seeking Grayling

1963 24' Tradewind
Thanks to everyone. I was delayed in my project. Fed-Ex lost my steps for a week and now its going to rain for a few days. Skins off and I'm just waiting to for the weather to weld on my steps that have now arrived. Once that's done I will have hopefully found the c channel so I can get the shell back on. I have a friend that has offered to insulate with industrial closed cell foam which is used as roofing so I'm trying to get ready before he has a rig available. I have learned much. Rivets leak and I never would have known where to look without having all the inner skins off. So now I'm identifying all leaks and sealing from inside. Where I thought floor damage came from vents on top was only partially correct. Its amazing what you can learn by complete dissassembly of a unit. Electrical issues came from the wiring harnes where it came out of the frame up through the floor, etc, etc. It's a big event though when you actually pull that frame out from underneath. I think so far the biggest thing I have discovered that may be of general benefit has been the ways in which floor damage occurs. I even had holes under the door holding strip on the left side of the outside shell that were a water access. I attributed it to the refrigerator vent until I had the inner shells off and actually stood inside in during a rain and saw it coming in. It looked like they misdrilled at the factory and since the strip was over the holes and they sealed the strip down, it wasn't a problem, probably for decades. Anyway, there's just lots of little things I've seen that seem simple when you have the whole thing disassembled that you wouldn't guess to be so. Oh but what fun it is. I sure appreciate everyone's help and especially those that have taken the time to post there musings here. There is a ton of helpful information on the site. I also may have a simple method of templating the floor when you don't have the original to go by. I just don't want to post it until I have completed it since it may not work. I'll try to figure out how to take pictures and post for added humor as this project gets to the put back together stage. Thanks to all.