Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
What year models have OSB Floors?

Yikes! There are just too many floor threads for me to find out what I need to know.
I know 1992 Excella Classic 29' have OSB floors because I have one.

Did 1987 Excella 32' have them, too? I'm hoping that particular travesty was only committed in the 1990s!

Help!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well my 32' 1988 and my parents 34' 1993 have them.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
My 1993 34' Excella has regular plywood flooring. My serial number is 509711.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Our '94 has plywood
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
Surrey , British Columbia
My 86 Excella, 32ft has OSB, and I just found a big soft spot last weekend.
silverhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
This link is to a thread I started that gave a lot of years with or without...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ard-80946.html
Old 10-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
1989 35' Land Yacht
Oakdale , California
Osb floors

My 1989 land yacht fifth wheel has them.
Tmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
My 89 Excella 32' has them. Well all except the back bedroom that I'm finishing the rotten flooring replacement in.
Mark Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Red face It's OSB - & we bought it anyway!

Thanks, everyone. Just what I was afraid I'd hear.

Our new 1987 has OSB floors - and I said we'd never buy another one with that stuff. But, she is in excellent shape and the previous owners already replaced (appears professional) all the usual spots. Curbside rear behind the storage door has been replaced very nicely (same thing we had to do to Ezzie, our 1992 29'). Obviously our PO was very conscientious about watching the floors for any sign of moisture. He left the floors bare under cabinets and in all the likely trouble spots. I'm so thankful! They have very nice carpet tiles, but they are loose to allow floor-checking.

Went all through it today and only found one spot where the floor was damp - same old, same old - curbside rear near the storage door. It wasn't very wet at all, just moist, and had not even begun to swell or rot, but I took the epoxy (Git Rot) to it anyway, as a preventive. I know it wasn't wet when we inspected it, so it happened during the torrential rain last weekend. After the Git Rot cures, I'm going to paint that area with the most waterproof thing I can find.

Sometimes I think I want to seal those outside storage doors closed forever and just access them from under the twin beds. There's a bad gasket on the storage opening which is probably the culprit.

I wonder if there are ANY Excellas that don't want to wet themselves in the curbside rear? LOL I doubt it. But now I catch them at it before there's any damage.

Reba McEntire

Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
Sounds like you were lucky. I did find leaks around my rear window and rear bumper storage box. My rear 52" of floor I've had to replace. Some of it was just mush in the belly pan.We had some big rains on the way and I hit everything with silicone sealer. That stuff is very temporary and is already failing. I didn't expect it to last very long, but failing in two weeks! Polyurethane based sealer is on its way. I found a few places where it looked like the sealer was getting a bit old on the outside. It didn't look really bad.After getting the inner walls skin off,and the insulation out,those spots looked like major leaks had been going on. My storage bay doors looked like they had caused water from leaks higher up to drip down from their corners. I'll be re-doing every inch of sealer from one end of my Excella to the other. I should also mention to you that I discovered that the power cord had a hole wearing in it where it came through the floor. You might want to give yours a quick check.
Mark Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Thumbs up

I saw our power cord yesterday, and like every blooming thing else on an AS, it has a hole twice as big as it needs. You know those little rubber thingies you can get to run TV cables, etc., through, without having a messy hole? I'm going to get one of those for the power cable. If I can't find that, I'll get one of those big old fashioned flat sink stoppers (rubber), cut a hole just to fit the cable, and put it through that, then staple or glue to floor. You won't believe all the big holes I have to fix where plumbing comes through. Previous owner did some, but there are still snake and mouse holes coming up from the belly pan everywhere plumbing, power, etc., comes in. I don't allow those holes to remain in my trailer!

Be careful with the foam stuff, though....it expands. I got so carried away on our first AS that I had it seeping out of the belly pan! Think it now has pretty much foam insulation in the belly pan! LOL

We know about mush in the belly pan. Esmerelda, our 1992, had only frame and mushy once-floor in the belly pan on the curbside rear. It's replaced with marine plywood now.

Our new one, Dulcinea (Quixote's idea of a perfect woman) has good solid floors throughout, and we intend to keep it that way!

I posted photos of her last night under my photos. I'll do more later.

Good luck on your AS.

btw, Ray uses Vulkem, Tempro 636, and Parbond exclusively on our AS inside or out. There is also an aluminum wide tape that is useful in some places - but watch out - the edges will cut you! Silicone seal won't stay on an AS and is a mess to get off. Someone put it around our walls in one place. Why I don't know - to keep the water that leaks down inside the walls from getting out and visible??? Can't have that.

Reba McEntire