Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
zeeland , Michigan
What to use between frame and floor

I thought I read here that something should be used between the frame and the new floor, but I can't find it back. I know the only thing between it before was the old insulation, and that's not going back. If anyone has an idea on this I would appreciate hearing it. Thanks for your time
binnendyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I use white foam sill gasket stuck to the frame to separate it from the plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6063 (640x480).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	244190  
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I believe the factory now uses something like reflectex, like foil bubble wrap!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
zeeland , Michigan
Would it be good to use both the sill foam and the reflectix together, or would that be overkill. Does the bubble wrap collapse as soon as the floor is tightened down? Is this done to eliminate squeaks or is there another reason? Thanks again
binnendyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
They claim great r value. I see a benefit as the pink fluffy stuff absorbs water, bubble wrap does not. Yes it gets squished where there is contact with the frame. If it was up to me, I'd first staple up a full length/width sheet of tyvek house wrap, then the reflectex. The tyvek is one way breathable.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by binnendyk View Post
Would it be good to use both the sill foam and the reflectix together, or would that be overkill. Does the bubble wrap collapse as soon as the floor is tightened down? Is this done to eliminate squeaks or is there another reason? Thanks again
The main reason is to keep the metal frame from touching the wood floor. Moisture coming through the plywood will cause the metal to slowly start to rust. When you take one apart you can see the rust damage along the frame rails and fasteners rusted off. Originally Airstream just let the fiberglass squeeze between the frame and floor which held water and caused the floor to rot.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When I put mine back together, I pondered this question a while, and after wasting a bunch of time dithering over it, concluded that anything you put between the floor and the frame runs the risk of compressing or disintegrating over time and leaving a gap, movement, and squeaking in the floor. Any vapor barrier you install on the underside of the floor is just as likely to trap moisture against the plywood as it is to keep the moisture out. Instead, I put three coats of poly on the underside before installation and called it good. The R value of the radiant barrier films becomes practically nothing as you eliminate the air gap, so sandwiched between a frame rail and the floor, I can't believe that the film would provide any noticeable effect.

This is another one of those aspects that are easy to overthink/overengineer, but at the end of the day, even the most insulated floor will be worth little when your aluminum trailer is riddled with vent holes and windows which will bleed heat.

good luck
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote