Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

acton
What causes rear sag on some airstreams?

Is it the floor separating from the frame or the frame actually bending or breaking welds? Ive tried to do a search here but cant really find an answer.
Thanks
durans54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
It happens both ways.
Frame bending happens on the longer trailers from the 70s, when they went with lighter material for the frame and added grey tanks that added weight bouncing on the frame.
Separation can happen on most years due to floor rot at the back or the "U" channel can break where it's bolted to the frame.
Thats the quick answer.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Sag

Hi,

As a newby I hope I am in the right thread, vs. starting a new one.

With regards to the rear end sag issue ....on the AS that is.....I have asked my parents to view a 1977 31 ft rear bath Sovereign on my behalf as they just happened to be close to the area in which it is for sale. They have absolutely no previous knowledge of Airstreams so I provided them a list of things to look for based on my vast AS experience, (which I accumulated over the past week since I became a member of this site.)

In walking through the unit, they did not detect any obvious signs of rear end sagging or dropping, except for a slight yet noticable sloping of the bathroom floor, (downwards towards the rear of the coach).

Am I correct to assume that the bathroom floors in the AS are supposed to be level? Or were they designed that way to direct water away from the rear rest of the trailer.

Any comments?
Derek
tolmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is mostly an issue on the 70s units with rear baths.......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
and 60's

My 68 with rear bath an waste tank had cause significant separation. The rear hatch leak didn't help from rotting the floor out.

Steve
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote