Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
What are these bumps?

Two rows of these bumps have appeared in my floor, and run across the floor from side to side. The trailer is a 2002 Classic 30 Slide-out. The row of bumps in the picture just below the glint from the overhead light is about two feet to the rear of the door. Another row is about 4 feet further to the rear. My supposition is that it has something to do with the subfloor joints. I do not notice any unusual softness in the area. If I bounce up and down there is a little movement, but I'm a big guy, so I don't think it is abnormal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	268914

The flooring is Allure Trafficmaster.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...11CAFE0FC262A0

It was put in the trailer by the previous owner, apparently while making several other upgrades. Interestingly enough the installation brochure says it is not for RV use. It is provided in 3-tile blocks and supposed to be installed floating. The 1x3 foot blocks have adhesive which is supposed to be used to stick the blocks together, but it is not supposed to be stuck to the floor. I have not been able to determine exactly how it was installed.

The trailer originally had some kind of a vinyl floor in this area, the bath area and rear bedroom with carpet in the front around the sofa. This flooring is also used in the bedroom area but a different vinyl tile is used in the bath area.

Aside from just watching to see how they progress, any suggestions on what they might be or how to determine what is going on?

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Staples across the subfloor joint line.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Sub floor prep issue. You may have a floating floor, if so you could tip it up and seat the fasteners; the bumps may then reduce a bit.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks, both of you. I never would have guessed JC would have put staples across the joint. I was thinking elevator bolt heads but that didn't seem to fit the raised area I'm seeing.

I got down for a closer look and found that the tile is cracking where it is lifted along the staple. My best bet may be to get a couple of boxes of tile and pull the tiles between the first set of bumps and the bathroom. I'm just concerned that I'll have to pull it all (demo mode) unless I can get the adhesive holding the blocks together to release. I'm also wondering if the staples are working up due to vibration/flexing while towing. It wouldn't be a problem under padded carpet, but tile is another story.

Thanks again. This forum is a fantastic source of information.

Al
Old 08-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A heat gun should assist removal of chosen tile.

I went with a "floating floor"... Interlocking Laminate with a glued on foam backing...

I decided this after carpet removal revealed so many "variances", it was obvious any sort of sheet or square vinyl would do in the long run. 3 years this past April.... No noticeable issues...

Just a thought.... So, if you are going to "stick" with the stickies, can't you install on top existing?

Just "thinking" (yes, I am working without tools).
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks Channing. DW doesn't care for this floor, but I like it. It has a very hard surface, probably why it cracked on the top of the staples.

I removed the access panel to the furnace under the galley sink. Apparently this trailer had carpet everywhere. The original carpet is evident under the cabinet well into the galley area. I wouldn't think carpet in a galley would be ideal. I was able to inspect the subfloor in the vicinity of the seam but not the actual seam. It is plywood, not OSB, and it is in good condition.

I'll go to HD to see if I can figure out how the seams work. I'm guessing one short side and one long side has adhesive facing up and the other sides have adhesive facing down, or something like that. Hope to be able to come up with an attack plan. Worst case is to rip it all out and put in laminate.

Al