Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2002, 08:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph O. Smith
Wet floor, finding & stopping leak

Friends,

Oh my goodness. I am exhausted. I’ve been wiping/washing the insides of my newly acquired '82 Caravelle to remove mold. What a job! And, as always, one job always leads to another. I removed the linoleum floor down to the plywood and discovered wood deterioration due to water leaks. One wet spot in the rear in front of and to the right of the bathroom sink and continuing forward under the water heater. I had the windows open during two weeks of rain and maybe that was part of it, but I think not. Inspecting the outside molding (one molding half way up and the other six inches from the bottom) I discovered that there is very little caulking on the bottom molding. So, what do you think? I think that water is getting into the inside through the un-caulked molding. (I assume there is a seam under this molding, or trim. Am I right?) If this were the case, what kind of caulking would you recommend, and how do I prepare the surface. It would be very easy to scratch finish if I used an abrasive, and would take me forever using mineral spirits and a toothbrush. Please make suggestions.

I also need two new tires. Any suggestions on the best tires – brand, type, size? What I have on the Airstream is size M+S P205/75R15. The book calls for size 7.75 X 15 ST. Have they changed the tire size name, or did the previous owner install the wrong tires? Is what I have better then what the book calls for?

I appreciate your helping. Joe
Joseph O. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Tires:

Your manual is correct. The previous owner (PO) put Mud + Snow tires (M+S) tires on the trailer. Use Goodyear / Carlisle/ Continental/ Cooper 7.75 X 15 tires with the ST rating as replacements. Also make sure thry did not put auto/truck wheels on when they did the replacement. Use a steel trailer wheel rated for 2600+.

Leak:

Leaks are a challenge to find. Are there any roof vents in the area of your leaks? Water will enter these trailers at one point and appear at another. Use the forum search feature and you will find plenty of tips on finding and repairing leaks.

Keep us posted on your discoveries and fixes.

-Best Regards:
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 09:43 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Question Tires...

Hello Bobby - Ummmmm - I have truck tires on my 60s TW - I went out
and looked after I read your reply post - ummmm any specific reason
why to not have truck tires on an AS? Mine is an single axel and I felt
that leaving these big ole tires on left me with some road safety? Please
inform ok?
thanks
60stradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
tire safety

Just a note , tires are rated for a reason. As an ASE master auto technician, here is a little advice. Use tires rated for trailers. The side walls are designed so as to make the trailer tow straighter , less back and forth motion. Further , they hold up better over time because of stresses caused in turnig ,etc . Especially on double or triple axle units. From a self educated side , auto & truck tires , under a trailer just don't work well. Ply separations seem to happen fast. I suspect , it is because of the severe tire squirm . Most noticed in backing & turning. Hope this helps shed some light.
69 Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:17 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Man, this one got pulled out and dusted off.

69 Silverback is 110% right in reality you should only use trailer rated tires. My dad need some for his "SOB"(the new thing I learned today) and the tire place had no clue. He had to ask specifically for the tire or they would have sold him regular auto tires.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote