Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

WestSystem Epoxy..

It’s raining here in Dallas, so I thought I might as well post my plans and see what floats. I’m in the process of getting my sub-floor ready for the next 50 years and want to make sure I’m doing everything right.

My 3/4” Marine plywood sitting on my newly POR15’d frame (POR15 is incredible) and I’ve recently bought the WestSystems 105 and 205 resin/hardeners. My plans are to apply three coats to the top and sides of my plywood, leaving the bottom untreated so it can breath.( I’m still contemplating coating the first 6” of the bottom also. opinions???)

After reading the literature on WestSystem, I believe the best thing to do is just use a 5to1 resin to hardener mixture with no thinners or fillers. I’m also planing to mix another batch and calk that into all the areas for the Elevator bolts and wood screws. where I’m not as sure, having not found any info trolling around the boards, is how I should bind the sheets of plywood together.
This Airstream thing is my first real project, I’m a video game artist and designer in my other life so this reality thing is scary for me, no multiple un-do’s and such. thanks for all the help.
Bobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Bobolo,

I think the theory on coating is either both sides or neither. At least thats what I learned up in woodworking school. I did the outside edges and the seams. I didn't have enough in the budget to do three coats all over. I used the 5:1 ratio.

Don't use wax paper, plastic beer cups, or strofoam cups to mix the epoxy.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I agree with Don. ( I have to, he laughs at my jokes.) Epoxy is used to encapsulate timber. That includes the inside of any holes drilled in or through the plywood. You certainly don't add fillers, colloidal or otherwise when coating, as you want minimum viscosity for maximum penetration into the substrate. Coating on one side will prevent moisture drying through that surface. It's expensive and tricky to totally encapsulate, so I would go for some form of preservative soaked into the plywood. There are previous threads on this. Try http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=14506
Depending on which preservative is used, you may need a gasket material to prevent contact with the aluminium skin.
Mixing of WEST epoxy is best done in small amounts, perhaps a cupfull, and mixing is best on a flat dish like a tray, with plenty of surface area exposed to the cooling air. If mixed in a cup, the exothermic reaction will quickly boil the mixture, and the very hot container will go solid as the mixture sets. Been there, done that!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
That's going to be one long lasting floor. Fact is you don't really need to epoxy marine plywood for this application other than perhaps the edges according to the wood boat builder sites info. I like the boat building technique of using epoxy for the screw holes. However, the temperature between the shell panels in full sun may be enough to soften the epoxy. Not a problem with the elevator bolts but screws may loosen over time. Sounds like you are going to thinks be OK over a long time. Me to.
Since you like coating things with expensive liquids you may be interested in the thread about insulating paints. I think this on the bottom would be great, and cost less than 3 coats of epoxy.

Have Fun.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Ok.. again I'm new to this whole thing, I don't know how much is too much.. I guess I'll just go with around the edges of each sheet of ply-wood and in the holes for the elevator bolts..

Quote:
Don't use wax paper, plastic beer cups, or strofoam cups to mix the epoxy.
I bought a Gold Challis rimed with blue sapphires. will that work???
Bobolo is offline   Reply With Quote