Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
welding over/around POR15

OK, I know I should have waited to paint this area with POR15 but I went for it anyway. Now the welder says I should hopefully remove the paint where he has to weld. I have wheeled off as much as I can but it's not all coming off...I'm calling the POR15 company to ask them on Monday, but for now...do I have to get every inch of paint off or can I just maybe chisel the paint off in the corners where he needs to weld, any ideas? I think I'll call him and have him come by and take a look again, but I thought I'd share my pictures and get some feedback...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	10735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	10737  

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Ingrid,
I know for the welding to work properly you need to have clean, bare metal...in some cases, but I would doubt it in the case of POR 15, you can burn weld thru the paint. But I would go with what you welder wants...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
One time I was trying to find some kind of sealant for use on my old MG near the exhaust header. So I took all I had and put a bit onto a bit of metal. After letting them dry overnight, I hit each with a propane torch. No joke: nearly all of them burned nicely and dangerously. (Because I had some there, I put blob of standard house caulk into the metal as well. It was leftover from putting bunches of it around the windows of the house. It was also the worst of all: It literally exploded into flames when hit with the propane torch. That was scary!)

Lesson: Be damned careful!

Lynn
Old 03-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't think you need to remove paint except where the actual weld material will be. You will need to repaint the surrounding area that will get scorched.

A grinder will work better than a wire wheel. I'm sure the welder will have a grinder, so you could wait and let him grind exactly where he will be welding.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I agree with Lynn.
The welder should have a torch and he can use it to burn off the paint where he neeeds to weld. I have done this before and it's real easy to remove paint and after the "burn" he can use the wire wheel to clean-up the area. Paint sometimes catches on fire but with the torch, it's easy to put out and by your pictures, it looks like it's all out in the open and nothing near thats conbustible that would burn. Good luck!
Ernie,
'58 Traveler, 18ft. (Freda-a work of art on wheels)
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
thanks, I think I'll grind off the parts. Good advice! I talked to him and he said he'd come by and take a look and see if it's weldable where I have removed paint, which I did today. He will also mark other parts that need paint removed with a pen. I think I'll just do it for him!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:34 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
thanks, I think I'll grind off the parts. Good advice! I talked to him and he said he'd come by and take a look and see if it's weldable where I have removed paint, which I did today. He will also mark other parts that need paint removed with a pen. I think I'll just do it for him!
Let's see Welder gets $40-$60 an hour...Ingrid gets.....$0-$? an hour....

Good Call!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ingrid

wow you are making great progress from the time you picked the trade wind from rick!

the area you are having welded is aluminum. i remember the broken door frame when we picked the trailer up from the guy who had it prior to rick.

would it just be easier to remove the remaining piece of the door frame, use it as a pattern? then your door frame would be one piece. your welder should be able to weld it in each corner.

if i recall correctly the sill for the door is just a piece of angle stock.

keep up the good work!

john