Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Hampstead, I did hear of someone with a 30' AS who dropped the rear of the frame loose from the shell and slid his flooring in from the back. I don't know that it would work on a shorter trailer. It's not the shell flexing, it's the frame sagging that made it possible.

Rich the Viking

P.S. A lot of people don't have the space or tools or situation to remove the shell from the frame, like a pro shop would do. There ARE many of us who have done shell-on floors. Some are harder than others, but all are possible with a little thought.
BTW my Safari has a welded spline down the center of the floor, from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I was in the same situation. I didn't have the space (or the technology) to get the shell off so I jobbed out the frame renvoation and floor replacement. There are a number of good threads on how guys have done "shell on" floor replacements. The notion of "jacking up" a shell makes me a little nervous. I think the approach I've seen most often is to lift the frame. Now... could a guy gently lift one end to sneak in the floor? I'll defer to the renovation gurus.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
If your going to lift the shell in sections, then the bottom line is that the entire shell at some point, will be lifted, but not without a bunch of headaches.

The complete shell can be lifted a couple of inches, very easily.

Have a few small horses along the side of the trailer, lift up the shell and hold it in place using some 2 x 4's that are on top of the horses.

But remember to support the chassis before you remove the shell, as the chassis will sag if you don't, giving you more headaches.

Andy
This is not that hard. Raised the whole shell. Alot easier to work on the frame, floor and replace the belly pan. Did it by myself on the 59 overlander. The trick is to find the hidden rivets that hold the shell on and cut them with a tap of a hard putty blade. The real hard part was getting the end caps back in if you take them out with the shell off. Like Andy said, things move.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
burbank , California
Thanks guys! After months of reading the pros and cons of floor replacement with the shell on or off scenario I have made my decision......Drum roll please!....... Andy wins! Shell off, if I only truly have to lift it a few inches, the allowance of space I do have, its doable! Thanks Andy! God don't let me screw this up!............. to be continued.......
Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefield View Post
Thanks guys! After months of reading the pros and cons of floor replacement with the shell on or off scenario I have made my decision......Drum roll please!....... Andy wins! Shell off, if I only truly have to lift it a few inches, the allowance of space I do have, its doable! Thanks Andy! God don't let me screw this up!............. to be continued.......
Screw ups happen, when questions are not asked, before the fact.

This site has answers to most everything anyone would ever want to know about an Airstream, usually.

But answers must always be weighed, you know, like from some financial advisors.

Andy
Old 04-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Recession = VACANT business parks

Dear people - Virtually every town in America has three or four franchised self storage businesses. Many of these have BIG spaces for rent.. and there are many small business warehouse/office parks and buildings that are sitting 75% empty with landlords sweating the load.

In "normal times" they want a 3-5 year lease, but right now, if you know someone or know someone who knows someone, you can get a 90 day deal on vacant space - often a zero paperwork sublease from a business that anticipated growth and now has 2000 sq ft of empty to fill.

If you think you don't have room - or you're going to have to work in the back yard and risk a wind storm getting hold of your shell while it's off the shell, start looking around. I know half a dozen people who'd give me space if I'd pay half of the electric bill for 3 months.

Just a thought. And if you want to git 'er dun, having a warehouse that keeps the weather off and has space for you to store the interior pieces and all of your tools... well not having to work in a cramped garage could move the process forward rapidly, could it not?

Paula