Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
weld crack, drop floor pan?

Got lots of great info on my last post but just wanted some more opinions on dropping the pan to weld this. The only thing people have said so far that i would need to do to the other side that is covered by the belly pan is to paint it.

I will make sure the crack is closer together and everything is level before having it welded and reinforced.

Is it possible to fix this without dropping the pan?

www.steventothemax.com
steven2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I don't think you need to drop the entire pan, but I would drop it around the area to be welded. Probably mean you'll need to cut it along the axle and drop it like the pages of a book to get access to the back side of the frame. Not only for painting, but wouldn't you want to weld the crack closed on the back side of the frame too?

Once the frame is repaired and painted, you can cut a strip of aluminum and pop rivet it on the top of one piece of the belly pan, and then hold both pieces up and rivet the second piece to the underside of the strip. That will patch the seam fairly easily. Use large head rivets. Don't worry about making the seam completely watertight. You want to prevent road spray from getting into the belly, but you also want the belly to be able to drain any water that does get inside it.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks MINNO this sounds like a reasonable solution. What's the best way to cut the aluminum?

www.steventothemax.com
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2themax View Post

Is it possible to fix this without dropping the pan?

Have you inspected the entire frame? There could be other hidden damage.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I used tin snips. The belly pan is pretty thin. If you don't have any, they'll be a good $15 to $20 investment. All the big lumber/home improvement stores carry them. Get the offset style - they're easier to cut long runs with.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Have you inspected the entire frame? There could be other hidden damage.
I did check everything else that was exposed. The other side has no damage to it.

www.steventothemax.com