Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Filiform, now that is subject that recently has become near and dear to my heart. Actually it has become more of a PITA.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Oops! I think I hijacked my own thread. Let's talk about filiform on a new thread so we don't upset the masses.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work. (Author: Unknown)
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Chris, maybe you should just quit trolling this forum and go camping in your delightful Casita.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Excuse me? A troll I'm not. I've wanted an Airstream trailer for as long as I can remember. If asking honest and sincere questions about it's shortcomings is offending you, I'm sorry. But I'm doing my best to sort out what is important and not in the journey to help in my decision as to whether or not to pursue such an investment. It just so happens the Casita suffers from none of the negative comments I've read about the Airstream. That doesn't make me a troll by any means and, frankly, I resent the comment.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work. (Author: Unknown)
Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Filiform, now that is subject that recently has become near and dear to my heart. Actually it has become more of a PITA.

Did your new purchase come with some already?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Did your new purchase come with some already?

2006, new to me. The tail light housings are pretty narly looking. I have tried to clean it up but afraid I am going to have to remove the lights to do it right. It starting to cool off so I guess I will tackle it one day soon.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris623 View Post
Excuse me? A troll I'm not. I've wanted an Airstream trailer for as long as I can remember. If asking honest and sincere questions about it's shortcomings is offending you, I'm sorry. But I'm doing my best to sort out what is important and not in the journey to help in my decision as to whether or not to pursue such an investment. It just so happens the Casita suffers from none of the negative comments I've read about the Airstream. That doesn't make me a troll by any means and, frankly, I resent the comment.
Chris,

I dont doubt that your earlier remarks were not intended to create controversy, but if you re-read your post you might see that from an Airstream owner perspective, that might well be how it could easily be read!

Maybe best to just pursue your quest for knowledge of Airstream pros and cons without comparison to your Casita, as it sort of comes across as "Mine is better than yours!"

Filiform is indeed and issue with Airstreams. While it is really only cosmetic, you can imagine that for the price of these trailers in is an annoyance to see it appearing on an almost new trailer.

Bothers some folk more than others. We have some on our (bought used) AS and I do try to stop it getting worse. I would be much more upset. had I bought the trailer new and found it starting soon after.

It is however minor. When you are an owner and take pride in what you own, then you know all its flaws no matter how small. Most other people who look at and admire an Airstream without being any more involved - and there are many - likely don't even see it!

So far AS don't seem to have come up with a true remedy, people are advised to treat it with anti-corrosion products as soon as they see it - not the greatest solution.

I think some really dedicated owners treat all potential areas of a new trailer with hopes of never having it appear.

Lots of opportunities for it to start though. AS buy the aluminum sheet pre-coated and filiform can start any place where there is a cut edge - i.e. panel edges, rivet holes, cut-outs etc.

The problem seems to be exacerbated if people live near salt water - or places such as where we live that use a lot of road salt. The Filiform actually progresses from a cut edge under the coating applied to the aluminum.

I suppose many first time Airstream owners buy a new trailer not knowing about filiform - but others know about it and decide to buy new anyway because if you want an Airstream - it is (for now anyway) a fact of life on newer models!

At least you know about it now and can factor it into any decision you make and that has t be a good thing!

For my money, the biggest negative factors in buying a new Airstream are
filform, wooden floors, and I don't believe they make the particular floor plan that I like currently!

Who knows, I may still give in and buy a new one - they ARE nice, warts and all, nicest trailer we have ever owned and we have owned a few.

Good luck ......... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Water Proof Plywood

Chris,

Just paint your casita silver, and get a rock guard for an AS. Then you will have the general appearance and rough shape of an AS and all of the design specks of the fiberglass body that you love so much!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Water Proof Plywood

Here we go! I have seriously considered this since I have not been able to find a 16" AS in my price range.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411524920.798931.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	222694

Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Oh and don't forget this for the front. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411525211.678431.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	222696

Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We loved loved the bunkhouse layout

Filiform spooked us but we said that we hoped with anti-corrosives we would minimize or totally prevent - we've been to the beach three times - so far no filiform - but may just be lucky

Even with some filiform I would prefer my AS - but completely understand the frustration on this issue and it is worth another disclosure and arguably it could turn off people from AS - reasonably so

After much research on the subject I found it mostly not impressive enough to reverse "aluminitis"

YMMV and that is ok

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Seems I've ruffled some feathers with my questions. For that I apologize. There's no way I, or any sane person would compare a Casita to or claim one was a "better" trailer than the AS. My only point was the negative things I'm hearing about the AS are things I don't have to consider even with my lowly "upside down fiberglas tub" as it was called. I'll keep monitoring the site, but stay out of the discussions and learn as much as I can. The kind of money you folks spend on your trailers is beyond me, so guess I'm just day-dreaming for the most part. But they are definitely beautiful and classic (read classy) and I would love to own one someday.