Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
PharmGeek, I think most maintenance requirements are minimum requirements. Based on what we have learned about our Airstreams, we must pay particular attention to the effects of water in our Boise Cascade plywood floors and salt water corrosion on our Alcoa prefinished aluminum shell.

Beyond inspecting shell seams, the moisture meter is an excellent tool, and if you are still uncomfortable back it up with a Seal Tech pressure leak test at an RV shop. We use the meter quarterly and had a Seal Tech test at two years, just before warranty expiration. We'll probably do it again on a two year interval.

We maintain the shell also with a quarterly inspection of aluminum and rivets, treating them with CorrosionX, and repair or touch up with acrylic pen as needed.

These are unique to Airstream and regional. Those who live and camp in the Southwest desert have few of these problems, but deal with the effects of sun and 100+ degree temperatures on their interiors and sealants.

There are design problems unique to different model Airstreams and the front storage compartment hatch is one of them. It is not difficult to defeat the seal used with air/water pressure while towing in the rain. Perhaps a second seal could be placed around the hatch door itself or replace the original seal with something thicker?

Nonetheless, the plywood floor is what we have. There are extra measures we can do to keep them dry and in good condition for years to come, and they're not hard to do.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Here is a .pdf file from Catoosa about their "boards" if anyone is interested in that material.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Frequently Asked Questions- RD 09.03.14.pdf (90.0 KB, 79 views)

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work. (Author: Unknown)
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
If Livinlite can figure it out what is stopping Airstream? That was a rhetorical question. The reality is that it is the bean counters at Thor that are behind the lack of using modern materials and QC at Airstream.

Camplite Ultra Lightweight All Aluminum Travel Trailers | Livin' Lite RV
I strongly suspect that Thor is very aware of Livin' Lite's construction methods, since Livin' Lite appears to be a Thor company: Livin Lite - Thor Industries, Inc.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sometimes I am not sure if Thor has a clue what is going on in their different acquisitions. They certainly seem in denial about customer satisfaction issues at Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I'm sure that Airstream/Thor knew about the QC and/or design faults causing rear end leaks on many mid-2000s units early on. They quietly made changes to their construction method starting in late 2008 or perhaps 2009 (with caulking under the belly trim piece), and then in 2010 with a rubber (plastic?) gasket around the rear floor edge.

A cardinal rule for many manufacturers: never admit liability. Obviously the staff at AS has been instructed carefully in this regard.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
All of this talk makes me, a not yet Airstream owner, want to reconsider a purchase. Quality "talks" because real quality "IS" real quality......like a Rolls Royce. I had been led to believe all my life that an Airstream trailer was the Rolls Royce of the towed trailer industry. Seems the advertising team has progressed beyond the manufacturing team!

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work. (Author: Unknown)
Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Chris, even given the rear leak issue (which is easily preventable if done early), most of us wouldn't trade our Airstreams for any other brand.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
If the Airstream were as high a quality as represented, then such a repair wouldn't be needed on so many trailers that it practically has it's own forum to address. Just sayin'. I like my Casita a lot, but not because the problems are easy to fix, but because there aren't any! (at least in the 8 years it's been on the road)

Old 09-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Chris, don't let the persistent grumblers get you down, or compare Airstream to anything but Airstream. They are a dream to tow and a joy to own. Your satisfaction with the product will depend on how you maintain it, how you set it up for towing (truck, hitch, Airstream), and the travel experiences it gives you.

This thread is about floor material; they come with plywood floors so that's what you have to regularly inspect for moisture, and fix any leak that caused it. The preventive maintenance is not hard or time consuming, but it must be done. Probe the floor perimeter with a moisture detection meter quarterly, have a Seal Tech pressure leak test done by a good rv shop just before the two year warranty expires, and every two years after if you want extra extra assurance. Do the extra maintenance and your Airstream will last a lifetime, look fantastic all the way, and worth the effort when you have to do a major repair.

If you just want an rv you can tow, park and forget about until the next trip, don't get an Airstream. And good luck with that, they all come with their own issues.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris623 View Post
If the Airstream were as high a quality as represented, then such a repair wouldn't be needed on so many trailers that it practically has it's own forum to address. Just sayin'. I like my Casita a lot, but not because the problems are easy to fix, but because there aren't any! (at least in the 8 years it's been on the road)
Yeah, we had a Scamp. No trouble, but all it amounts to is a fiberglass tub turned upside down on wheels. Ours was built in 1984, sold to my son-in-law for a ice fishing shack, then sold again to a couple who camp with it.

Simplicity matters. There's a propane tank out back, no trouble in 30 years but I wouldn't go on extended travel with it or a Scamp.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
In all fairness to my little Casita, Doug, it's not a Scamp! No comparison. Sorry. I've put more than 50,000 miles on this rig since I bought it. Have had to replace the bathroom exhaust fan and a Group 27 battery..........and nothing else! Oh, I did replace the original tires at the insistence of the folks on the Casita Forum because of a rash of blowouts being experienced by owners.........which is never fun with a single axle trailer. It's small, but hardly a fiberglass "tub" any more than an Airstream is an aluminum "tank".

I really hope someday an Airstream is in my future. At least one 25' or longer. So I'll stay "attached" to this forum to learn as much about them as I can. But have to admit I'm still concerned about the plywood floor and rotting situation. Maybe by the time I can afford one, they will have completely corrected the problem. (of course, by then I'll be too old to travel in a trailer!)

Old 09-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Doug, how difficult is for you to acknowledge, that as wonderful as Airstreams are, their floor design is flawed? PharmGeek's trailer is barely 1 year old and he is having issues with the floor already (and he lives in the south, not in the Northeast/Midwest). You may think its OK, but most people find this unacceptable, and for such an expensive product. Imagine buying a $90K Porsche and have to inspect the engine oil every month to prevent engine failure. It does not make any sense. Not sure why you are averse to Airstream improving their design.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Well there has been a lot of great options presented here for other flooring options. I can't imagine the cost difference would be so great on a $70,000 to $90,000 unit. Has anyone ever started a petition requesting a different flooring option?

Now with that said, there are few SOBs out there that last as long as an AS. Most of your 5th wheels and white boxes have a 15 year life expectancy. I have heard and read countless stories of $70,000 fith wheels rotting out in 10-15 years.

Try to get a reservation at a high end RV park with a 15 year old White box, you will be turned away at the door. Show up with a 30 year old AS with a little bit of shine, and they will put you on the front row.

Overall, AS do hold up, like most trailers they require some maintenance. Some stuff just wears out and needs to be replaced or repaired.

Also, if your dropping 90k on any kind of RV spend the Extra $ to build a car port to put it in.

Just my 2 cents..

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I posted years ago a product I used on my floor. I used Nyloboard and I put it in back in 2008. I still have the left over pieces. One piece sits in my yard on the north side of my garden shed. It sits in the grass with house plants on it. It is still as good today as it was back in 2008. Great Stuff! The problem with it is you can no longer buy it from the factory. You have to get it from a dealer and the price has gone way up. It is comparable to construction grade plywood and I never will have to worry about rot. I put it in my bathroom which is were all the rot was located.

Brian
Old 09-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Doug, how difficult is for you to acknowledge, that as wonderful as Airstreams are, their floor design is flawed? PharmGeek's trailer is barely 1 year old and he is having issues with the floor already (and he lives in the south, not in the Northeast/Midwest). You may think its OK, but most people find this unacceptable, and for such an expensive product. Imagine buying a $90K Porsche and have to inspect the engine oil every month to prevent engine failure. It does not make any sense. Not sure why you are averse to Airstream improving their design.
Rostam, the floor design is not flawed. The floor design is fine, the problem is water leaking into it. And PharmGeek does not have issues with his floor, his front compartment door is not sealing against the water coming in. Fortunately he has the tools and knowledge gained here to find it and dry it out, while he fixes the leak.

But new floor material doesn't matter to most of us, and that's my point. We have a plywood floor so we need to know how to protect it. And the way to protect it is find the leaks before they do damage inside the trailer.

Airstream may well put in a different floor material, then when it corrodes, delaminates, cracks or molds we can all gather here and complain about it. The problem will still be water leaks.

My own experience with our new Airstream was it was delivered without leaks. I checked it. After thousands of miles towing on all kinds of roads all over the country five new leaks developed. I found them all as they developed, then took it to Airstream who fixed it under warranty. With the tools and knowledge, we found the problem (leaks) and avoided floor rot (the result of leaks).

Airstream drills 3,000 holes and cuts openings all over these things to put them together. To imagine they should never leak is dreaming. Get the tools, and the knowledge is throughout this forum to take good care of your Airstream (do you have an Airstream?). We are always happy to see improved ways to do it.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #56
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
@Chris623

If you visit any forum associated with any trailer manufacturer you will run across problems that are prevalent with that model, or models of trailers. Problems exist across the board. I would hazard a guess that Airstream suffers from fewer problems than SOB's. That being said, Airstreams are still designed and built by humans not robots, so build quality problems will allways persist. If a new hire is not supervised and fails to seal one seam per trailer on his or her shift. How many trailers get built before this is caught and rectified?

If you want an indestructible perfect trailer, you will have to be hired by Airstream, learn all facets of assembly, start with Coosa board and build your own trailer. If you can't do this, then learn to live with it and enjoy the eccentricities of Airstream trailers or motorhomes (cause the floors rot in them as well).

You want to see scary.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...me-106269.html

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Chris, you SHOULD have pause in reading about quality issues. And you should independently consider all the factors and weight them for yourself...and if that means you feel uncomfortable with AS ownership....then that is an important decision for you! no shame in that whatsoever.

AS has a reputation among people who know next to nothing about them that they are the paragon of quality and style among RV's....if one take a decent amount of time researching airstream, one can easily find signs of disappointment...expectations not met and heartbreak.

I was comfortable making the purchase and would do it again despite my full disclosure to these realities in reading this forum line by line because I could see a path to monitor for said issues, correct them either in warranty period or with reasonable effort and cost (for me) beyond the warranty...we discussed worst case scenarios...costs of major repairs beyond...etc...even filiform corrosion...but we found ways in discussing it with AS owners to do a good job in preventing major headaches...and felt reasonably confident that despite all these concerns, we simply did not want to buy the alternatives...we entertained one other brand TT, that offered all composite materials, but it was fraught with quality issues way worse with reading a forum and it went outa biz....and we never really like the style of the thing much either...

1 year in, and yes, we have had a few hiccups...but honestly, nothing serious...a leak from the front compartment...it seems to have been corrected so far and no further leaking is evident and it will be leak tested and anything corrected....otherwise actually, the trailer is holding up - totally dry...which actually is quite good news with all the possible leaks that you can get from awning rails, from stuff up top, from windows, etc....and with our application of anticorrosive as discussed on this forum, we have not seen a spec of filliform on the panels (a tad on the grab handle next to the door.

Importantly, nothing has stopped us from actually using our trailer, enjoying it, have not missed a trip because of our small issues, and no major costly problems...

If that all seems daunting and spooky or excessive maintenance given the cost of the trailer...then that is good..for you...because if it is too much, then you will not enjoy these aspects of ownership...they will seem a huge burden and you will be upset...if all these possibilities are spooky, perhaps they should...perhaps more people "shouldn't" buy an AS and that would send a signal to the company? That is for each person in the market to consider.

Financially we are prepared for some maintenance costs and even repairs beyond the warranty period....and I am mentally prepared for that...I won't "like" it frankly, but as long as I can get it fixed and back to doing what we love as a family...it is of less concern to me honestly.

But if people leverage themselves and then find problems that cost money and/or time they do not have...sounds like a recipe for great disappointment...and if that sounds scary, then perhaps it should be?

That is how I think about it anyway...I am no expert, only sharing my inner ramblings FWIW - take care...more importantly, ENJOY camping whatever way you do it! Hope to see you around!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Thanks, PharmGeek. Your comments were very reasonable and make much sense. Of course, I realize the end decision is mine and many points need to be taken into consideration for such a major investment in both money and time. I'm very capable of doing most any repair, however daunting. However, I'm at a point in my life where I just want to travel and camp..............not spend my time repairing. I have lusted over the AS for as many years as I can remember seeing them being pulled around the country and will always feel that way. (which is, I imagine, how most AS owners feel) I'll stay on the site and learn what I can so that when I win the lottery I'll be prepared to take the plunge. Thanks again for your comments.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Rostam, the floor design is not flawed. The floor design is fine, the problem is water leaking into it. And PharmGeek does not have issues with his floor, his front compartment door is not sealing against the water coming in. Fortunately he has the tools and knowledge gained here to find it and dry it out, while he fixes the leak.

But new floor material doesn't matter to most of us, and that's my point. We have a plywood floor so we need to know how to protect it. And the way to protect it is find the leaks before they do damage inside the trailer.

Airstream may well put in a different floor material, then when it corrodes, delaminates, cracks or molds we can all gather here and complain about it. The problem will still be water leaks.

My own experience with our new Airstream was it was delivered without leaks. I checked it. After thousands of miles towing on all kinds of roads all over the country five new leaks developed. I found them all as they developed, then took it to Airstream who fixed it under warranty. With the tools and knowledge, we found the problem (leaks) and avoided floor rot (the result of leaks).

Airstream drills 3,000 holes and cuts openings all over these things to put them together. To imagine they should never leak is dreaming. Get the tools, and the knowledge is throughout this forum to take good care of your Airstream (do you have an Airstream?). We are always happy to see improved ways to do it.
Doug, can you imagine an Airstream where leaks do NOT cause floor rot? That's what I am hoping for. I am happy that this mentality of "Others have more problems, so we ain't fixing ours" is not prevalent in other industries. Car companies are improving their product every year. There seems to be a lack of competition in RV industry (How I wish Avion was in business...) and seems customers are OK with lack of good quality control. So I don't think anything would change anytime soon (which, I guess, is what you want).
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Ver-r-r-r-ry interesting! 5 pages devoted to a subject many are considering "just the cost of owning an AS." Sure are a lot of opinions on "both" sides. And now in my future reading, I stumble onto the subject of Filiform corrosion. I'll not discuss it further in this thread, but it's just another nail in the coffin. I'm liking my tiny little Casita more and more every day.