Old 09-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
One suggestion would be to leave the floor uncovered beneath the cabinets, water pump space, vanity etc.

I removed the vanity in our unit to check for leakage at the rear (still dry). When I replaced it I cut out the linoleum as far forward as possible, and painted the floor with a couple of coats of deck/floor self-priming paint.
Excellent idea. I have also considered removing about three inches of vinyl all around the interior edge and replacing it with something that will not trap moisture, even encourages drying out.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Golly jee, I guess I was lied to by the worker.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Here's a good description with photos about the Airstream shell construction, useful to those who may wonder how they are put together.

Michael, in the paragraph "Flooring" they describe the black material painted around the perimeter of the plywood subfloor as anti-wicking.

Shell Assembly | Airstream

Old 09-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Doug, that's an excellent reference you provided. Haven't seen that one before.

This may be the stuff they use on the outside edges of the floor?

http://dolphin-company.com/TDS/coatings/DOLP7720TDS.pdf
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstream uses Boise Cascade's Sturd-I-Floor plywood:

Sturd-I-floor - Boise Cascade, LLC

Old 09-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
We have a local military supplier here and they used at one time a very, very heavy type of plywood that had coating of fiberglass for the top and bottom ply and was also impregnated with a resin as well.

I had a piece of this stuff outdoors for many many years. It never rotted.

They used it for decking on military ramps and carriers.

I can see where the weight of this stuff would be prohibitive for use as floor material in my Caravel. The floor would weigh as much as the whole trailer.

Brooks and Perkins, now AAR, right? They also used on "expanded aluminum" honeycomb board that would be perfect as AS flooring. May have been proprietary to them.

"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
Old 09-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
That honeycombed stuff is frequently used in aircraft custom modifications.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A flooring material must be able to hold all the assembly screws for the shell, partitions, cabinets and equipment as well as being somewhat flexible when moving down the road.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
These folks use an aluminum frame, composite aluminum floor, furniture and shell. Apparently they have figured out how to attach interior furniture, etc. without it all coming loose. The flooring is fully waterproof, rot proof and light weight. If leaks do develop in the shell minimal if any damage results. If Livinlite can figure it out what is stopping Airstream? That was a rhetorical question. The reality is that it is the bean counters at Thor that are behind the lack of using modern materials and QC at Airstream.

Camplite Ultra Lightweight All Aluminum Travel Trailers | Livin' Lite RV

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I had that storage compartment leak and the moisture was detected with the meter (sonin 50211) - tripped the meter to full tilt - picked up edges of linoleum to inspect as best I could (area is under the wardrobe so cannot pick up much) - and found that to the touch it was dry but when probes tripped the meter - after the edges (had black paint) were exposed - they dried to where they no longer register moisture - but interior to that it still registers moisture - had hoped this would wick out and some no doubt has bit clearly not all.

The floor being this plywood would be less if an issue if the flooring material on top of it could be removed when needed and replaced as had been suggested (removable and individually replaceable floor tiles?)

Detect moisture - expose and dry out - and fix leak - but for now my detecting the leak often means removing furniture.....I'm under warranty and AS have agreed to address this in 2015. Beyond that new leaks I'll have to deal with it. Good news is - this one leak was the only one and now it appears there are no leaks - all is dry on the perimeter and it remains dry

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
VINSTREAM VINTAGE AIRSTREAM TRAILER CUSTOM DESIGN RESTORATION SALE

They make aluminium chassis and subfloor for Airstreams that are being restored. If Airstream puts aluminium chassis/subfloor on their trailers, they would last forever.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Also troubling is that airstream seems to offer no advice at all about moisture meters or owner floor inspection (other ways?)

When I asked how they would instruct owners to find leaks over time I was told something g to the effect "routine annual inspection of seams"

An alternative flooring would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
PharmGeek, I think most maintenance requirements are minimum requirements. Based on what we have learned about our Airstreams, we must pay particular attention to the effects of water in our Boise Cascade plywood floors and salt water corrosion on our Alcoa prefinished aluminum shell.

Beyond inspecting shell seams, the moisture meter is an excellent tool, and if you are still uncomfortable back it up with a Seal Tech pressure leak test at an RV shop. We use the meter quarterly and had a Seal Tech test at two years, just before warranty expiration. We'll probably do it again on a two year interval.

We maintain the shell also with a quarterly inspection of aluminum and rivets, treating them with CorrosionX, and repair or touch up with acrylic pen as needed.

These are unique to Airstream and regional. Those who live and camp in the Southwest desert have few of these problems, but deal with the effects of sun and 100+ degree temperatures on their interiors and sealants.

There are design problems unique to different model Airstreams and the front storage compartment hatch is one of them. It is not difficult to defeat the seal used with air/water pressure while towing in the rain. Perhaps a second seal could be placed around the hatch door itself or replace the original seal with something thicker?

Nonetheless, the plywood floor is what we have. There are extra measures we can do to keep them dry and in good condition for years to come, and they're not hard to do.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Here is a .pdf file from Catoosa about their "boards" if anyone is interested in that material.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Frequently Asked Questions- RD 09.03.14.pdf (90.0 KB, 57 views)