Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2004, 05:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Question Water damage to the Rear Bath, '75 Tradewind

In the Off season I have been poking around looking for any areas in need of repair. I found a water leak that has rotted out a portion of the floor behind the shower. Most all of the bath has been removed from this point. See photos here.
http://home.comcast.net/~balrgn/Airs...oject_2004.htm

I am looking for a good flooring to install? Pergo seems to be a good choice?
Has anyone extended the bumper? I am looking to add an extra foot for storage in and on top of while traveling?
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water damage to the Rear Bath, '75 Tradewind

Greetings balrgn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I am looking for a good flooring to install? Pergo seems to be a good choice?
I have tried two of the alternatives to carpeting in my coaches - - industrial grade sheet vinyl in the Overlander and Armstrong Laminate with Silent Step underlayment in my Minuet. Both have been quite successful. The biggest down-side to the laminate flooring is weight increase. In the case of my Minuet it added about 100 pounds to the empty weight which means that I am typically less than 100 pounds short of the GVWR for the coach when it is loaded for a long vacation. After living with both of the flooring alternative for more than two seasons, my first choice would be the Congoleum Industrial Grade sheet vinyl as it added less weight and is quite attractive with fewer worries about what might happen if it is exposed to moisture - - the cost difference between the two was negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Has anyone extended the bumper? I am looking to add an extra foot for storage in and on top of while traveling?
There are two reason that this project might create more problems than it would solve. First, our Vintage coaches can already be subject to rear separation without adding any additional invitations. My Overlander had a bumper mounted spare tire carrier (added by the original selling dealer) that eventually resulted in separation that required repairs costing close to $2,000. Second, any weight added behind the axles is not a good idea as it can adversely impact towing - - the likelihood of sway problems could increase significantly.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Smile Bathroom refinish

That is a good point. I'll keep that in mind and my leave the rear the same length. Need to repair the frame members back there still.

As for the floor, I am leaning trowrds Pergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings balrgn!

I have tried two of the alternatives to carpeting in my coaches - - industrial grade sheet vinyl in the Overlander and Armstrong Laminate with Silent Step underlayment in my Minuet. Both have been quite successful. The biggest down-side to the laminate flooring is weight increase. In the case of my Minuet it added about 100 pounds to the empty weight which means that I am typically less than 100 pounds short of the GVWR for the coach when it is loaded for a long vacation. After living with both of the flooring alternative for more than two seasons, my first choice would be the Congoleum Industrial Grade sheet vinyl as it added less weight and is quite attractive with fewer worries about what might happen if it is exposed to moisture - - the cost difference between the two was negligible.

There are two reason that this project might create more problems than it would solve. First, our Vintage coaches can already be subject to rear separation without adding any additional invitations. My Overlander had a bumper mounted spare tire carrier (added by the original selling dealer) that eventually resulted in separation that required repairs costing close to $2,000. Second, any weight added behind the axles is not a good idea as it can adversely impact towing - - the likelihood of sway problems could increase significantly.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote