Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Johnston , Iowa
Water Damage in 2012 FC-RB

So, I've been a bit laid up all spring due to a rotator cuff surgery. Finally went out to where I've been storing my 2012 flying cloud 25' RB. As I am hooking the batteries back up, my wife opens the door - and a bunch of water comes out. We look in and see that the floor is stained near the door and, as I step through the threshold, I feel mushiness underneath the vinyl flooring. I think I nearly started crying.

I know I've got water damage (don't know how long the water had been standing there, but long enough to rot out the floorboard at the door). I've owned this Airstream since 2014 and have never had a leak in it (and we've gone through some pretty good storms). It's been in storage since last October. I checked the rest of the airstream and no evidence of leaks. I suspect that the water came through the door (the step was half-out, and I wonder if snow piled up on it and melted and leaked in at the bottom of the door). It's raining now, so I plan on taking a look at it while it's raining.

So, question: where do I start? To say I'm a bit devastated by this is an understatement.
Madhungarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
How about one or two electric fans to circulate the air over and under the wet area to dry the floor out. It won't change the size of the damage but might help. When we respond to water flooding that is the first step to getting everything restored.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Be prepared for any damage to extend beyond the localized area. Just is usually the case.

Hope I'm wrong. Any insurance to cover this?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I'm sorry to hear about this.

You should be able to peel back the floor and look at the extent of the problem.

I had a leak near the door of my 2013 25FB. A screw pulled out of the "eyebrow" above the door. I proceeded as follows:

I removed the bench near the door (about 10 screws; not difficult once you remove the drawer under the bench), the subwoofer, and the table. Then pulled up the grey plastic trim at the edge of the floor, and removed some staples holding down the vinyl. Then I was able to peel back the vinyl, see the extent of the affected area, and let it dry.

In my case the water only hit an area about 2x3 feet, all in the door/dinette area. The water didn't go under the kitchen cabinet. I hope yours is the same.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Johnston , Iowa
Thanks, everyone. sgschwend: it appears that the damage is localized to the door area. I does not appear that it extended under the kitchen cabinets or under the table. I think the cause of my leak was similar to yours (the leak was coming from the same general area), made worse by the port-side tilt of the trailer in the storage yard.
Madhungarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
West Palm Beach , Florida
Insurance

If stored, you could try insurance as damage!
truffies is offline   Reply With Quote