Old 07-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member
Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your response.
The gaskets look like they have been replaced. But, they are a light gray, flat looking, about 1/2" wide material. This trailer was a permanent resident in an Airstream only park, about 30 miles from anything. I am finding alot of repairs that used things to just "make do" and are not the proper method. Perhaps this is the case with the window gasket.
I am also curious if the water tank is original or a replacement. The current tank is heavy plastic, an opaque blue color.
Thanks again. This is quite a new adventure, one that I am loving!

tontoterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 08:19 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Water damage/Window gasket update

I mentioned in my last two posts that my window gaskets appeared to be in good shape. I based this assumption on their clean appearance and supple condition. I also wrote that they are flat, grey, about 3/8" to 7/16" wide. Well, I now think that they should be tubular and have been squeezed permanently flat due to years of compression. We had another downpour this evening so I entered my A/S to watch for leaks. Sure enough, here came the water past the gasket, by the latch shaft, in the wall, out at the floor to the same rotting spots I blamed on the broken water tank outflow nipple. The nipple hadn't caused the rot at all, which makes sense considering this Sovereign has been parked and used as the previous owner's primary residence for at least a decade or so hooked to city water all the while. Which means the tank was probably empty anyway. At least it was when I got it.

So, can anyone verify that my '69 Sovereign's front window gasket shape should be something other than flat?

Thank You

Old 07-05-2003, 10:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
How are the windows adjusted? It is at the bottom where the two latches squeeze it shut?
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:24 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Water damage/window adj.

Thanks overlander 76.
Your reply verifies what I was thinking, that the only adjustment was, how tight the window was squeezed shut by way of the latches. But also thinking it possible I was missing something in spite of the obvious simplicity of the matter.

Thanks again

Old 07-06-2003, 08:27 AM   #19
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

I do not think the correct window seal was made of gray rubber. It should be black. Your best bet would be to call and get a sample of the correct stuff. that way you can be sure it will fit. I also belive the window seals on your vintage wer a neoprene type of seal, not rubber.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
The correct window gasket as used by Airstream since the 1966 models, is black and has a double flare.

To see a picture of it, go to our web site,

Click on parts, scroll to part number 45295. Click "view part" to see it.

If not treated with silicone spray, that gasket may last 10 years or so. Any gasket over 10 years old should be checked for cracks.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 03:07 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
Water damage/Correct weatherstripping

Brett G & Andy,
Thank you for descriptive and informative replies.
Andy, I have the required measurements and am ready to order via telephone. Who should I ask for to speak with in the parts department. I am sure all of your employees are knowledgable, just wondering if there is someone well versed in this particular area. On my Sovereign, each window has two weatherstrips. One in the window opening and a thinner one on the inside of the window frame that holds the glass. Is this how it should be or is one weatherstrip all that is needed (the part number 45295 that you mentioned)? If so, where is the correct place to mount it? What I am trying to ask with questionable effectiveness is this a case of the previous owner trying to improve things? I don't have an original window setup to look at. Does the weatherstrip go on just the frame, or just in the window opening, or both?
One more question... do the compartment doors use the same weatherstrip material? And, what about the water heater compartment door?
I have looked at your website and read much information here, but without an original to look at and only one week's worth of Airstream experience, I have many questions.
I do thank you for your time and patience in answering these newbie questions!!!

Thanks so much to all for your help and patience

Old 07-10-2003, 05:20 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
Water damage/Correct weatherstripping

I called Inland, spoke to Bear, very helpful. Together she and I picked out all the needed items to stop my windows from leaking and causing damage to my floor. Iwill post updates in the window forum. Since I'm replacing all the exterior opening gaskets perhaps my experience will be beneficial to some one else. I hope so.

Thanks a bunch