Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Shari---Shari

Like an Airstream, with the right amount of TLC, you will be around for a long long time, including the shine.

Andy

Old 05-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Interesting - great input - we are in the same boat - our original tiles although in excellent shape have lifted in centre where we had a pool of water - trailer was so level the drip from the A/C stayed dead centre - but eventually soaked through the tile cracks this was in Nov just as the feezing weather was setting in. Thus the damp floor (as we were not aware of the pool of water) froze and heaved the edges of 4 tiles.

She is nice and dry now and we are going to try injecting a heavy duty floor adhesive to get them stuck back down - problem is they will never be perfect again.

We have too much on our plate right now but do not want to scuff and split a tile - but will eventually be replacing the tile if the glue does not work.

I like tile if done correctly - which means 90% of the job is preparation. The tile in the GT have lasted 35 years - with probably carpet over them may the last 10 or so.

I love the look of Shari's Job (A-1) but if anything happened to scuff, scrape, tear or split/crack the one sheet system - you have a full replacement to do again. Where as the individual tiles are easily replaced - (if you have spares) which is another key element always by 30% overs - not for the mistakes when you do the job cause none of us here make any mistakes....but for down the road when they are discontinued and you can not get a single tile from anywhere to replace that one tile that just happend to get damaged by a fluke dropsy. (we live and learn)

Old 05-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Why is it that the CCD floor I saw was one piece of sheet goods?? Is it true also that the Airstreeam trailers 25 feet and under are a single piece of OSB now?? Would these two things be one and the same thing now and allow the single piece of sheet goods to be used.....

If this is true, I need to find a piece of OSB big enough for my Ambassador so I can use the CCD style floor.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
... I need to find a piece of OSB big enough for my Ambassador so I can use the CCD style floor.
Shipping would kill you Tedd.

I came up with, what I think, is a contiguous solution for floors assembled with 4X8 sheets. PM me if you want details.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I have only been able to find linoleum in 2 meter wide rolls, and in my case the seam will end up mostly under cabinets and permanent furniture, so no seams (exposed). The other "plus" with true linoleum is I believe it is solid color top to bottom (except for the jute backing)(and I think sheet vinyl only has a surface pattern/color - so you can tear or wear through that surface). Armstrong has linoleum and then there's a company called Forbo that caries a linoleum called "Marmoleum" they both have great web site info . . . anyway, I'm going with a linoleum and that was my 2 cents. Would like to see what you end up with.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
The other "plus" with true linoleum is I believe it is solid color top to bottom (except for the jute backing)(and I think sheet vinyl only has a surface pattern/color - so you can tear or wear through that surface). Armstrong has linoleum and then there's a company called Forbo that caries a linoleum called "Marmoleum" they both have great web site info . . . anyway, I'm going with a linoleum and that was my 2 cents. Would like to see what you end up with.
True, linoleum is solid all the way through. Most residential vinyl flooring products are layered with various grades of vinyl, paper, backing parts. Some of the commercial products (Armstrong - Classic Corlon for one) has a thicker solid face (.085) which is more durable instead of the paper-like layers so many of the 'box stores' sell.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Mark,

Check out the link in my previous post on this thread for one place that sells tiles (and there are others, too). Any Marmoleum dealer can sell you tiles as well as sheet goods. As tiles, you can feel free of the kind of concerns raised here--and enjoy all the advantages of linoleum!

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
I have only been able to find linoleum in 2 meter wide rolls, and in my case the seam will end up mostly under cabinets and permanent furniture, so no seams (exposed). The other "plus" with true linoleum is I believe it is solid color top to bottom (except for the jute backing)(and I think sheet vinyl only has a surface pattern/color - so you can tear or wear through that surface). Armstrong has linoleum and then there's a company called Forbo that caries a linoleum called "Marmoleum" they both have great web site info . . . anyway, I'm going with a linoleum and that was my 2 cents. Would like to see what you end up with.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Mary, thanks.
What I meant to say was, I can't find linoleum wide enough to cover the whole floor w/o a seam . . . like with Sheet Vinyl (12' wide rolls).
I do like the linoleum tile better than Vinyl Comp Tile - partly because it feels softer . . . and if you're going to have seams anyway, then you can have fun with patterns/contrasting tiles.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Put in one piece of a high quality vinyl on a spotless smooth floor. We put ¼ inch ply down to cover the cracks of the original Airstream plywood, then the vinyl. It was one 17.6 foot long by 12 foot wide. I goes from under the sofa to the bed room door. It looks like a real wood floor, is easy to keep clean and does not move and has not cracked or shows dimples from chair legs and would be very hard to tear. The vinyl cost about $ 550.00, not cheap but was worth the install.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Used one piece of 12 by 24 vinyl on a bare 3/4 marine plywood floor with bondo filled joints between the ply well sanded. Checked around and the wisdom was to let it float. It will be under everything including the channel that will attach the shell and belly pan to the floor so it will have screws there. Will do on a hot day so it's at a near maximum size and pulled tight.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
another possibility?

Has anyone tried, or does anyone know anything about the Marmoleum Click tiles? I'm going to go look at them at a local flooring store tomorrow. From what I hear, they have a cork backing and snap together like tongue and groove tiles. Supposedly, no gluing is required so I'm guessing that's like a floating floor. I've read that they come in larger planks or 12"X12" tiles.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
Easy way to lay sheet vinyl

I technique I use when doing sheet vinyl or carpet in house bathrooms, etc, is this:

I get role of 2-3 foot wide brown paper from Home Depot. I roll it out across floor to be covered, and cut to fit walls. I keeping adding cut sections as I work around walls, pipes, fixtures, etc. I cut each piece and tape as needed.

When I'm done, I have single piece of paper patterned exactly as I need cut.

I roll up, place over carpet or sheet vinyl, tape it down, make cuts, remove pattern, roll up new floor, and install it.

Much easier than anythinng else I've done.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
suck it up...spend the bucks... do it right the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki
if I wanted to replace the floor with a vinyl flooring would it be better to use a one piece unit compared to the tiles. it seems like the tiles would run the risk of getting water under them just from general use, but they may look nicer. as with the one piece you could just lay it down then run a bead of silicon around the parimiter. also has anyone ever had their flooring tear on them. from like sliding a chair across it. it would seem that the tile would be easier to fix in this sort of instance. thanks for all of your guys feed back so far on all my threads. theres nothing like haveing years of experience and a bunch of trail and error that i wont have to go through because of you folks. thanks.
Most vinyls you buy at big box hardware stores are a very, very thin coating. But if you look for solid vinyl flooring (often found at a contractor's supply store) it will last virtually forever. Congoleum solid vinyl is an example. My mother put that stuff down on our bathroom floor when Eisenhower was in office, and the new owner of the house just replaced it. I also saw the identical stuff in Stan Hyatt mansion- which had tour groups walking on it for years. It had been down for 30 years. Also you could consider linoleum, which is made of sawdust, linseed oil and coloring - if you remember the horrible stuff in your grandmother's kitchen, remember she had it for 50 years before you were born. Linoleum does have to be waxed two or three times a year, but it does come in a lot more colors than you might expect.

Solid vinyl tiles could work, but they might also split (over time) along the seams of the plywood. I'd definitely run a thin subfloor of masonite over the plywood if you're considering this - run the seams so they never match the plywood.

Tin Lizzie
Old 01-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
flooring

have to contribute to this thread. marmoleum flooring is an excellent product. comes in both sheet style and the click tiles. have had the flooring in my kitchen for 5 years and it looks new. there is a seam stripping available in the sheet style to match most of the colors. would be good around cutout edges too. plan to use this product in the Argosy redo in the very near future, lets hear what you think of the product. they have a website,,,,,good luck all,,,happy streaming,,, dieterdog donna