Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Views on using Simpson Strong-Ties as Hangars for Tanks

I'm in the process of contemplating thinking about some changes to the size/location of a gray water tank.

The existing holders for the tank are angle iron pieces bolted to hangars on the frame. Instead of cutting/rewelding the hangars, the idea to use Simpson Strong ties as hangars.

Why not?
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You must have a particular style of strong-tie in mind. They make dozens of different styles, designs, and configurations.

In general, Simpson strong-tie joist hangers (and the like) are galvanized, thinner than I would use, and attached to the surrounding material with nails or wood screws. I don't see any advantage at all.

I think you need to elaborate. I'm missing the reason to use strong-ties over angle iron.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Sorry about that..
The thinking is.. I worked on framing crews for years and used them. The thin-ness doesn't especially concern me because they are designed to hold tremendous amounts of weight (if used 'correctly').

The advantages would be ease of use (vs welding) and flexibility. If I want to remove the tanks or move them later or replace with a different size tank, there wouldn't be any welding necessary under the frame.

They could be attached using bolts, I imagine.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Simple... NO... I would not go that direction! Conventional construction and the uses Simpson strong ties is time tested! Fab correct brackets and weld or bolt(for later service) into place. You would be surprised how much thing move and are stressed at 65mph.

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Daniel I think folks are getting hung up on the thinness of Simpson Products - even though they do make some thicker specialty products also. Just find some galvanized angle iron of appropriate thickness such as 3/16. Tap your bolt holes and then clean it properly - rinse in hot water and let it dry - don't clean it with something like mineral spirits that will leave a film - diluted ammonia works well. Prime it with a galvanize primer and paint it. It should outlast anything your doing to the trailer. Don't use Stainless fasteners to bolt it in place.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/problem/problems/peeling_galvanized/index.jsp

When Airstream replaced the tank hanger on our 71 they used 1/4 aluminum but coated the contact areas where it will touch steel. A local Airstream mechanic said he uses two layers of duck tape as the buffer on the contact points. Only the rear was replaced on ours. The forward bracket is original steel and can't be any thicker than 1/8 - it's rusted badly and will be replaced with aluminum also.

If you can find angle in Galvanneal it is much easier to prep and holds paint much better. I had a new battery stand made from it and used automotive primer and a couple coats of Rustoleum.

Galvannealed
(see also Jet-Coat, Paintlok)
Is the result from the combined process of galvanizing and annealing the steel. The galvanization is made through the hot-dipping (Hot-dip galvanizing) process and gives a very fine grayish matte finish. Galvanneal does not flake off its galvanized coating when formed, stamped, and bent. The very fine matte finish acts like a primer, easily adheres to paint, and is very rust proof; only white to dark grey marks appear if it comes in contact with water. Galvanneal sheets offers good paintability, weldability, corrosion resistance, and formability. It is extensively used in the automotive, signage, electric equipment, and other industries requiring a metal with good paintability and long reliable service life.

If you have any scrap yards in the area many will sell various types of angle they have taken in as scrap. The one locally has racks and racks of bar and angle stock - and it's cheap.

Good luck with your project.

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Thanks for the info. I think this just might work out. I went to lowes and they had 6" L brackets (Simpson) 1 1/2 inches wide and maybe 1/8 or so thick.

There won't be all of the stress of the tank on these because there is a welded piece of angle iron perpendicular down the middle.

This is a fit test. I'm gonna go with it. Two bolts to the frame on each side and two bolts from the L bracket to the angle iron on each side.

In this not so great picture you can see the L bracket with one bolt to the chassis. 6 inches of it is underneath the angle iron and the tank is sitting on the angle iron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 46.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	118967