Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Glass half empty/half full? In MY day, we didn't HAVE glasses! We walked three miles uphill - both ways - to get to the mosquito infested pond and drank like dogs on all fours and we were grateful! 😜
And it always comes around to the infamous Four Yorkshiremen sketch...

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
My tequila glass is about to become half full.

We have a wooden shoe scraper thing we got at Camping world that we keep just outside by the steps on our green fake grass carpet. Between wiping our shoes on the carpet, then the scraper thing the the floor stays relatively clean, unless it's raining and we are in a forest. Then we need to take our shoes off. I find using some Method cleaner on the vinyl floor gives good results. It's working for us, for now.

Mike

Old 09-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Mat and scraper outside. Entry mat inside door.

Dust and dirt still get in (amazing hat a HEPA filter collects). I use leather sole moccasins indoors.

Last trailer had cork. This one may as well. Any strategy to reduce tracked dust is huge.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Continuous flooring's main purpose is to enhance rot from the many leaks that you can't see since they are covered up by the flooring. All kidding aside, flooring under cabinets and beds is a bad idea since leaks can't dry out or be seen till they are a big problem.

Perry
Old 09-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After some 1200 days travel with our Airstream our vinyl floors look as nice as new. We use some thick outdoor entrance mats from Camping World on the traffic areas of the living room, and softer carpet sections by the bath and bed. Not a designers dream but looks decent and very practical, it works.

As for subfloor rot, part of our routine quarterly inspection is to probe though the perimeter of the interior vinyl floor with an inexpensive Sonin Moisture Detection Meter looking for moisture in the subfloor. If we see needle deflection we look for the source and fix it. A leak in the shell, condensation, plumbing leak, no subfloor rot if it's dry.

Cheryl just delivered a full cup of coffee, it's time for some ice cream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Continuous flooring's main purpose is to enhance rot from the many leaks that you can't see since they are covered up by the flooring. All kidding aside, flooring under cabinets and beds is a bad idea since leaks can't dry out or be seen till they are a big problem.

Perry
Perry
What type of flooding did you use? I'm thinking the same thing on the floor covering being under the cabinets
Old 09-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I know that it's some folk's habit to complain about everything, and none of the trailers are perfect...but the AS is about as good as it gets for under a zillion dollars. Visitors usually are surprised when I tell them it's NOT pegged-hardwood...but only vinyl.
And while it's not the tile found in Newell MH's ...vinyl is actually a good choice for trailers likely to be found on the beach and in Glacier NP with dogs, grandkids, and muddy hunting-boots. Don't like it? Cover it with what you do like.

The one thing I'd have preferred AS do for floors is not use plywood for subflooring at all!
I'd have preferred they used honeycomb-aluminum panel, which would likely make these things outlive the pyramids. If I ever do a shell-off restoration that's what I have planned.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

Perry
Perry makes some very good points here, water trapped under the vinyl (any flooring that cannot breathe) a most important problem. We have had heavy condensation on the rear lower aluminum wall behind our bed in cold weather after showers while traveling. This drains down into the subfloor, I have taken screws out of the baseboard and lifted the vinyl to dry it out.

We are happy with the vinyl on the floor, we can maintain that easy enough, but the perimeter needs a surface that can breathe. Something that covers about six inches from the wall (under the cabinets the vinyl could be just cut away, fasten the edge with a strip of some material, and the plywood left exposed).

Looking for suggestions of a decent looking material, perhaps a thin tile, that will let that vulnerable outer edge of the floor dry out if/when it becomes wet?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Right now I have a painted floor with throw rugs. I plan on using carpet squares at some point. I like being able to see leaks and there are always leaks.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Perry
What type of flooding did you use? I'm thinking the same thing on the floor covering being under the cabinets
Old 10-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
One option

After much thought and weighing personal preferences, we decided on glue-down cork tile from APC Cork. From a look and feel standpoint, it is one of our favorite things about our trailer re-do. The texture and color variations are what we wanted with the maple cabinetry I installed. It is not cold, hard, nor sticky. We have used our refurbished '71 several times and have no regrets over the flooring choice.

Installing was not a difficult project, just a bit tedious. Subfloor surface prep is key, and the durable factory sealant plus a top coat of Bona Traffic to seal the seams gives it a durable, cleanable finish. You can make out the seam lines as tiles, but not in a way that detracts from the overall look, in our opinion. It has already survived a minor plumbing mishap without any effects. I'll post a "finished interior" pic later for full effect.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corkfloor2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	273074   Click image for larger version

Name:	corkfloor1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	273075  

Click image for larger version

Name:	corkfloor4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	273076  
Old 10-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There's nothing quite like cork.

Did glue down on the last TT.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I guess different trailers or different years have different flooring?
Our fake hardwood roll vinyl has been very durable.
I don't think the basket weave looking textured stuff in the new Classics will hold out as well as what's in our trailer.
Did you put it under the cabinets or trim it to the edges?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The flooring is original.
The flooring is installed first, and then furniture and cabinets installed on top of it.
Mobile homes (trailer houses, pre-fab, modular homes, whatever you want to call them) are also made this way.
I guess this method saves time on the production line.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The flooring is original.
The flooring is installed first, and then furniture and cabinets installed on top of it.
Mobile homes (trailer houses, pre-fab, modular homes, whatever you want to call them) are also made this way.
I guess this method saves time on the production line.
So no buckling or moisture trapped underneath or any issues with it down covering the subfloor with everything then installed on top? It's probably easier for me to do that instead of cutting the pieces and doing finish work, but I worry about the issues others raise and am not sure. I'm for using single sheet faux wood vinyl. It's just a matter of covering the subfloor or trimming around the cabinetry.