Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Germantown , Tennessee
Using Eternabond tape over caulk under rear rub rail

I've sealed up the gap under the rub rail at the back of my trailer with Trempro 635 now. And although I'm replacing the rotten plywood at the rear with Coosa Bluewater 20 board I want to do my best to make sure it doesn't leak from the rear again. (Without having to weld or use a torch.) So, before I reattach the rub rail I'm thinking about taking some of the aluminum eternabond tape I have and putting that over the area where I caulked with the Trempro.

Is there any reason that I should not do this? I don't want to hurt the caulk job, but it seems to me the eternabond would give an extra layer of protection in the event the caulk job began to leak.
jami20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Are you sure the leak that caused the rot came from around the rub rail? I think the Trempro is plenty adequate, just check it once a year or so. But more to the point, the rub rail, if we are speaking of the same thing, is really just there to cover the joint from the upper skin and the lower curved portion that covers the outriggers and attaches to the belly pan (banana wrap in the vernacular if I'm correct). The outer skin goes over the lower portion, so the only chance for water infiltration I believe is through a rivet. I had this concern when I first brought our trailer home. After taking off the rub rail and seeing how it all is constructed, I decided my issues with leaks needed to focus elsewhere. YMMV
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Germantown , Tennessee
Yeah, mine is definitely at the bumper under the rub rail. There is a 1/4 inch gap that runs from the bumper under the C channel that just lets water pour in (as I believe a lot of others have dealt with also).

And after I reattach the rail I hope it's a very long time before I have to take it off again. It was a pain to clean off all the caulk and goo there.

With that being said, I do hope it's my only leak in the area
jami20 is offline   Reply With Quote