Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Upgrading floor material in new Airstreams

Rotting floors have been an issue in some late model Airstream trailers. Improved sealing can help, but my thought is leaks will open up regardless, and sooner or later the floor will get wet.

I thought I'd start a discussion about what other materials could be used for the floor which would retard or eliminate rot. And at what cost?

Camplite makes an all aluminum trailer ( CampLite All Aluminum Travel Trailer Overview by LivinLite ). I would assume an Airstream with steel frame would require some kind of galvanic barrier between the frame and an aluminum floor. Didn't an older Argossy use aluminum floor? How have they stood up?

Plastics or composites are available. Anything suitable?

Encapsulating the plywood in fiberglass is used at times. Upsides or downsides to that?

I'd like to think this is possible at a reasonable cost.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
I did some exploration into using an aluminum extruded plank for the flooring in my 20' Caravelle like the one used in the LivinLite trailers. I got a preliminary quote that was more than $100 per 6" x 7' x 1" plank and it would have taken more than 30 of them. The material is stronger than 5/8" plywood (from a deflection per span perspective) at about the same weight. I don't have $3000 extra and I am not an engineer but it seemed like it would work if you had a lot of money.
Tim

Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Well some have talked about NyloSheet, sounds good and would cost less then $2000 more for a 30' Airstream and I would pay $3000 for the option.

Fiberglass over plywood would have the problem of letting in water at every hole and crack and holding the water in the wood.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
Encapsulating the plywood in fiberglass is used at times. Upsides or downsides to that?
Rather than fiberglass, vacuum-bag the plywood and inject polyurethane. Vacuum-bagging puts the woodgrain under negative pressure, so the polyurethane liquid is drawn into the wood. Once the wood is completely saturated in polyurethane and allowed to cure/dry, water can never get into it; there's no place for the water to go that isn't already filled with the polyurethane.

If done properly, you could even drill holes in the plywood after treatment without affecting its watertightness. If not done properly, then when you drill holes in it you'd have to brush on more polyurethane where new woodgrain is exposed by cutting or drilling.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

"In a perfect world, I'd be given enough time to wrap up one emergency before the next one starts." Freefall2013
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
The exterior plywood used in the Airstream can stand up to getting wet without rotting. Rot comes from prolonged exposure (undetected or neglected leak). So, catching it before it rots is another route because leaks can do more damage than to the floor.

I have already started pulling up the carpet (under the beds) and the vinyl under the other drawers, cabinets, seating and outside compartments, exposing the plywood where it is not normally seen. This makes a quick visual check for wet plywood easy. btw this has already led me to a slow leak in the toilet fill valve which was getting the floor under the front bunk damp.

When I eventually upgrade the visible vinyl and carpet, I plan to treat the entire floor (visible and hidden) with borate to resist rot should a hidden leak soak it. I cannot get it all (like under the shower) but I can get most of it.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Why not just treat the plywood with wood preservative?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Stuart , Florida
I agree with Bob. Why not use something like Thompson's Water Seal.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by judflor View Post
I agree with Bob. Why not use something like Thompson's Water Seal.
Most treatments like that are surface treatments that work to repel moisture. If the wood gets soaked the rot/fungus simply grows below it.

Coppertox-like products work extremely well, penetrate deep into the wood, do not repel moisture, but will keep wet wood from rotting. Copper and aluminum may not be a good mix. Coppertox may not the best choice inside, although wooden boat owners use it.

Borates (Borax) work the same way penetrating into the plywood and glue to prevent rot, and they are non-toxic.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
Different treatments for putting in a new floor and for sealing an old one—

For many years contractors told me Thompson's was a terrible product, but CR recently rated it very highly. But I think you get a more impervious surface with an exterior urethane (spar urethane).

When I removed the sheet vinyl, I also got as much as I could out of the cabinets so I could coat the subfloor there too and be able to catch leaks. I used 2 coats of spar urethane. I used the exterior stuff because of the temp extremes in a trailer. Using a flooring that can easily be looked under allows you to check for leaks.

Eventually I'll get to the carpeting in the bedroom. I'd have to remove the bed frame to get it all out and this is not something I really want to do. We like the carpeting on bare feet, but it does look dull, so someday we'll look for a replacement. It must be really cheap stuff because they don't just carpet around the outside of the bed, but in the whole room. Most of it is hidden. I think carpet tiles would be the best solution for the bedroom after treating the subfloor.

I wish I could find a way to treat the edges of the subfloor without removing it.

Gene
Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I'm going to roll on bed liner on the bottom and sides of my new floor, Or spay. On the top I am just using an exterior paint. Daughter picked out the color. you will only see it under the cabinets. Kind of a aqua blue.. (well at least it wasn't purple or Pink)

Mythbusters did a thing where they painted plywood with bed liner and used c-4 on it. well without it it blow apart with it it stayed in together. I'm putting it on my wheel fenders to, in case of a blow out. Will keep the fenders for getting torn up.

My dad always said. THE STINKER IT IS THE BETTER IT MUST WORK...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I'm going to roll on bed liner on the bottom and sides of my new floor, Or spay.
Jason, when you "spay" your trailer, do you take it to a vet, or can an MD do it?

Gene
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Jason, when you "spay" your trailer, do you take it to a vet, or can an MD do it?

Gene
No I do it myself "spray" See what 2 1/2 year old twins do to your mind. It just doesn't work right anymore...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Crawford , Colorado
I couldn't help myself, Jason. Wait 'til those twins get older and can gang up on you.

Gene
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
For what it's worth, about 8 years ago, I heavily saturated the floor plywood in my trailer with Olympic Stain Wood Preservative prior to installing new flooring. I flooded it until it wouldn't absorb any more.