Old 06-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
There are a number of new products out there that are composite or synthetic materials... many made with recycled material. I've only seem them made into deck boards and similar, but I'm sure there would be some way to make them into a sheet product if it isn't already being done.

Using 3/4 plywood with an epoxy bonded aluminum layer would work as well...

I wish I had an Airstream factory... I would make really cool trailers...

Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Pressure treating wood involves many chemicals, it is not recommended for use above ground.

Boats have been made with marine grade plywood for decades, something AS could do tomorrow, 'cept they won't.
Bean Counters rule, not the customer.

"Marine plywood is frequently used in the construction of docks and boats. It is much more expensive than standard plywood: the cost for a typical 4-foot by 8-foot 1/2-inch thick board is roughly $75 to $100 US or around $2.5 per square foot, which is about three times as expensive as standard plywood.
[edit]" Wkpda.

I would pay.....you?

But first stop the leaks.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post

I wish I had an Airstream factory... I would make really cool trailers...
Me too. I'm afraid they would cost even more, but be a whole lot better. And you'd have to keep the present execs and workers until you could find out who to keep and who to get rid of. Institutional knowledge is important, even though you'd want to get rid of some people right away.

Too much work. I think I'll stay retired. Maybe I could be a consultant.

Gene
Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Me too. I'm afraid they would cost even more, but be a whole lot better. And you'd have to keep the present execs and workers until you could find out who to keep and who to get rid of. Institutional knowledge is important, even though you'd want to get rid of some people right away.

Too much work. I think I'll stay retired. Maybe I could be a consultant.

Gene
Gene,

Don't you have a school of exec's swimming in the B-urine pool?

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The Trailer Depot

Here's some good pics of the aluminum floor in the Camplite. I like this trailer for its size, but I'd sure want to cover that floor with something to keep my feet warm. I'd probably stick to it on a cold morning.

And yes I'd surely pay for upgraded floor in Airstream.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bob, He backed out, Cold feet. No vision.
Dan
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
The Trailer Depot

Here's some good pics of the aluminum floor in the Camplite. I like this trailer for its size, but I'd sure want to cover that floor with something to keep my feet warm. I'd probably stick to it on a cold morning.

And yes I'd surely pay for upgraded floor in Airstream.
Also a little extra for those nice push to release latches on all the storage dorz.

Not sure I could convince the DW that all that inside bare 'lumunum is kool, or maybe it's just too kool. She's still pretty hot after all, think condensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Bob, He backed out, Cold feet. No vision.
Dan
Field testing I think....got some in his I's.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
How about this?:

NyloSheet
Old 06-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Tried to post this with a link, but I'm new here so need a moderator approval. Search for Nylosheet for Nyloboard. This looks great for the floor. Made in USA. Recycled material, too! Apparently it also comes in 4'x24' long sheets. You single axle owners could use two sheets with one seam down the middle!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #24

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
Tried to post this with a link, but I'm new here so need a moderator approval. Search for Nylosheet for Nyloboard. This looks great for the floor. Made in USA. Recycled material, too! Apparently it also comes in 4'x24' long sheets. You single axle owners could use two sheets with one seam down the middle!

Got you covered.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
That Nyloboard looks promising! I just wish it were available locally. It seems like it's so new that they don't have distribution set up yet. I am looking to need it in October. I just hope they get set up by then! I'd like to see it without driving to Georgia!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
I wrote to them via the online form and will let you know what is returned. I am certain they would send you a sample.

One could also use recycled HDPE sheet goods. There is a company here that started out using it for skateboard park surfaces and now uses it to make outdoor furniture (loll designs) and some other stuff. It is super strong and essentially weatherproof.

A quick search revealed one online source:
High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Sheeting | U.S. Plastic Corp.

HDPE 4x8 sheet 3/4" thick is $373.76 on this site.

Does it need to be 3/4" thick? I have been reading a lot of threads here on floor replacement. Some seem to reference 5/8" and others 3/4". My flooring in the '68 Overlander appears to be 3/4". I am not completely certain I understand how the floor/wall/pan intersection goes yet (anybody have a cross section?). Perhaps one could use thinner sheet goods if the specs. meet or exceed the original plywood?

Both of these options (HDPE sheet and Nylosheet) can be cut and shaped with standard woodworking tools and fastened with components similar to the originals. One downside of HDPE is that is is difficult to glue to it.

Seal plywood however you want, it still contains cellulose for microbes to eat and will eventually fail in this application. I think these other two options seem like more durable solutions. Maybe our great-grandkids will be able to go camping without having to do a second shell-off?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
Seal plywood however you want, it still contains cellulose for microbes to eat and will eventually fail in this application. I think these other two options seem like more durable solutions. Maybe our great-grandkids will be able to go camping without having to do a second shell-off?
Bunkroom,

I have also contacted Nyloboard and explained what I am doing. Will post whatever they respond. The stuff looks promising, but I only want to do this once! That HDPE stuff is expensive! I will need About 6 4x8 sheets so ouch! I am sure that Nylosheet is no better on price, though. We'll see!

Ken
Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I suspect Airstream uses plywood because it suits the construction better than anything else. The floor rot happens when the water gets trapped under the vinyl and cannot dry out. I would like to see a selection of breathable carpet sections that could be removed for cleaning or inexpensively replaced, no vinyl. Easy to inspect for leaks.

doug k