I'm in the process of replacing the front sections of floor in the Caravel
now. I took the forward inside wall out and removed the old insulation. I was shocked to find that my mystery leak was coming from the Caravel
nameplate! And I thought it was the door gasket. The cast script nameplate has four cast pins that go thru the outer skin to hold the emblem on. I could actually see light out the holes around the pins. The inside of the wall had water stains running in through these holes. Judging from the water stains on the wall, it was a significant leak. As I think about it more, the awning rail and the door gutter direct lots of run-off water at the nameplate.
The emblem was held on with spring- type push fasteners typical of the cars of the era. I slipped a piece of wire under the springs and carefilly lifted them to pull the clips off. Then after cleaning up the emblem and its mounting point, I pushed it back in place and sealed the holes and studs from the inside with Vulkem. This way if I have to remove the emblem again it won't as hard to clear off the Vulkem. I also put a thin piece of plastic on the stud so the push fastener won't be imbedded in the Vulkem.