Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2018, 02:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Torrance , Arkansas
First airstream purchase no tow hitch

Hi guys new to the forum just purchased this in Los Angeles this weekend its been sitting in a mobile park for a while they cut the hitch how would I go about fixing this ? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5058.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	309808  
Airstreamla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:48 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Torrance , Arkansas
Tow hitch cut need help figuring this out

Hi guys new to the forum just purchased this in Los Angeles this weekend its been sitting in a mobile park for a while they cut the hitch how would I go about fixing this ? Thank you guys in advance
Old 04-30-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Given what’s at stake I’d hire a professional welder. You might get a towing company to drag it out and get it to a trailer repair/welding shop.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Have a good professional welder look at it. It can be done, but it's not the place to skimp, for safety's sake.

Meanwhile, get some foil tape over that rectangular cutout in the shell so no more water gets in.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You need a new A frame. Must be trailer companies who will sell one. I had Airstream replace one that was rusted but I could patch it up enough to get it to Airstream. With nothing you need someone to come to it. I guess there is no chance of finding the old one under it behind the skirting? My replacement at Airstream cost $2500 if you are curious. You should be able to do better price wise locally. I think you really need to get the skirting off the front to see what you have left.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
As previously mentioned by Bill M, I would be surprised if the severed part isn't there somewhere. (unless PO told you otherwise) A good mobile welder could come and reattach it temporarily so that you could tow it to a shop to be reattached permanently. It's relatively easy to make it robust. It's much more difficult and time-consuming to make it robust and also pretty. That's why I suggest a two step process. The welder could have it in his shop where he/she has all necessary equipment to do it well and make it presentable.

I would simply try to avoid having anyone try to haul or tow it without an a frame of some description welded to it. Pulling it up onto a trailer/roll off could be dicey if the puller doesn't know what he's dealing with. I hope you find the severed part. Good luck! What's the condition otherwise?
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamla View Post
Hi guys new to the forum just purchased this in Los Angeles this weekend its been sitting in a mobile park for a while they cut the hitch how would I go about fixing this ? Thank you
I would have a mobile welder assess rigging up a temporary fix to have it loaded on a flatbed and moved to a shop that make a quality repair. You may run into difficulties with towing it with a traditional towing vehicle, tires, brakes of the trailer may be a problem depending on how long it has been in its present situation.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Same issue 2 directions cheaper or easier , ya can't have both .
And being what it is , doing it right is important .
Chances are it could be best to have a tow company move - the trick is tying down , if damaged - your on there ins.
With seeing in person , but I see some frame sticking out , getting the correct undersized rectangualar tube steel about 2-3' to splice weld to old parts , even if you have to buy that end from a junk yard .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Torrance , Arkansas
I have decided to have it towed with a flatbed to a reputable welder thank you guys for all your help
Old 05-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is the other thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...-a-180948.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Yrs. ago pres. northern Il Unit cut hitch off 26 AS mounted on stretched Ford cab & chassis. After some yrs. wife said back on ground off truck, welded a frame back on, I did not see after weld as left unit and almost all no longer alive to answer of weld job.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote