Old 07-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Again, from APA:

Frequently Asked Questions: Products

What is Marine-grade plywood?

Marine-grade plywood is a specially designed panel made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better, which means it may have knots, but no knotholes. The panels are sanded on both faces, and are also available with Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO) faces. The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a “premium” panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required, i.e., for boat hulls and other marine applications where bending is involved.
Marine-grade plywood is available in 4x8-foot sheets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4-inch thickness. Sheets up to 5x12 feet are also available. Available grades are A-A, A-B, B-B (face-back), MDO and HDO.
Marine-grade plywood is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, it should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard.
The detailed description of veneer grades and Marine-grade plywood is contained in Voluntary Product Standard PS 1-09: Structural Plywood.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Acx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkroom View Post
The Roseburg "marine" plywood is Exposure 1 rated by APA and is $59.99. You will likely have to special order it.

The ACX sold at the same fine home center is Exterior rated by APA (better than Exposure 1) and is $34.99.

In my opinion, the real goal is to keep your Airstream plywood floor dry. Occasional moisture will not cause it to rot away if it dries out quickly, but chronic moisture will.

Use "Exterior" rated plywood with an A face up toward the inside of your trailer and keep it dry.

www.apaplywood.org is the industry source for information. Free sign-up is required to download information which is abundant.
Thank you for all of the very good information. Who knew there were so many different characteristics of plywood.
Looks like I will go with the ACX then. The plan is to seal the edges about a foot or so in. It cant hurt.
And yes the trailer will stay dry. Not only have I sealed the trailer very well
I have a contractor coming over this week to start planning an "Airstreamport". Basically a steel pole building with out the sides.
I cant put all this work in to it and then let it sit out exposed to the elements. That to me would be crazy.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
Sorry, I didn't mean to barrage everyone with information, but hate to see misinformation lead to unnecessary expense.

I think sealing edges is a good idea and sealing all cuts and perforations is also good. I do not think sealing entire sheets is good as the plywood needs to be able to dry out if it gets wet (plumbing leak, spill, shell leak, open window, etc.). One of the good things about plywood over OSB is that the wood fibers stay long and this allows water to move from wet to dry areas and make it out of the wood.

The "marine" plywood offered is suspicious as it is not "Exterior" rated and the product literature states that the adhesives are only "moisture resistant".

I recommend AC Exterior only to get you an "A" face for flooring like linoleum tile or sheet. If you are using a click in laminate or other thicker flooring you could use BC Exterior as slight imperfections will not transfer. This will save you $5/sheet.

Airstreamport is an excellent idea. I think you coined a new term?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Thanks again! I have a favorite mom and pop lumber store. I will go there and see about 5/8 acx this week.
Cant believe its July already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Gray tank ideas?

Any input on where to locate a gray water tank in/for a 67 Caravel would be great. The under the floor model at VTS is 3 7/8 thick. The caravel frame is 3.o thick. Not sure what to do with the extra 7/8? Box it in and change belly skin?
I am not putting the original plastic sink/ shower pan combo back in so I am open to above floor gray tank ideas too.
The trailer frame is very exposed right now. An ideal time to put one in.
I was going to go with a composting toilet but now think I will use the traditional kind that sits on a black tank.
If I put the VTS gray tank under the bathroom floor at the very back of the trailer then where do I locate dump valve for above floor black tank? It would not be able to go in its original locale.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
There is an above floor gray tank that will sit under the sink but since you are not putting that back in then if you go to the threads in the forum plumbing section there are a couple of threads that have HTML tags for tank resources. Good luck
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #77
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I'm still plugging away. All new crossmembers and stringers are replaced on the frame. I'm replacing all the out riggers too. Should finish those up tomorrow eve.
My plasma torch makes easy work of removing old rusty junk.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Ordered plywood last night for the floor. 5/8. Should be here in 2 weeks or less. :-)

Old 07-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Airstream badge, of honor.

I knew it was only a matter of time before there was an Airstream related injury. This is my left knee after the angle grinder payed it a very brief visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140720_115121-1-1-1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	217030  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Bet that hurt like hell but at least you still have it! I personally would have busted the damn thing and thrown it outside! On a lighter note what were you grinding?
Cliff
Oh yes clean that up and quite using a grinder! Just use a razor like everybody else!

Old 07-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I was grinding the outrigger stumps left from the plasma torch. I'd just finished up on one and was setting the grinder down. Didn't mean to set it on my leg however.
Trust me, I did not suffer in silence.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Is there any reason I CAN'T change out the axle before the floor goes in.
The shell is clamped the outriggers with Kant Twist clamps and 5/8 tread plate.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Is there any reason I CAN'T change out the axle before the floor goes in...
No reason at all that I can think of - just be careful.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Pictures please! Before you put the belly pan back? Yes you can but will make the belly pan a wee bit more frustrating! How is the leg?
Cliff