Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
lewisville , North Carolina
tips or tricks for subfloor install

I have removed my badly rotted subfloor on my 72 Argosy. Most of it just fell apart. I made a paper template of the floor and have cut and coated the ply and plan to install the floor this weekend. Do I need to remove the shell from the front and back plates or is there a trick to getting the floor in without removing the plates? Or can I remove one and jack up one end a little for some wiggle room? Any thoughts.

Harp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I assume you have done all the things consistent with a floor replacement (ie., removing at least the edges of the belly pan and banana wraps, removing the lower most inside skins, etc.). So your approach is a "shell-on" floor replacement. In this case, you want to drill out as few rivets as possible (ie., leave the hold down plates alone, and leave the C-channels attached to the shell). You will likely have to split your plywood sections in half in order to get them to slip under/into the C channels (especially at the ends). This splitting will require you to scap them back together with a "doubler" underneath.

To be honest, though, you are doing a shell-off with the shell still on, which is about the hardest way I can think of to replace the floor. You are about 90% of the way toward doing a shell off, and I would recommend going all the way and just removing the shell. My tool/method of choice for this is a set of home-made gantries and a couple of chain hoists.

For more tips, do a google search for "Airforums shell-on" and you will get several hits from the forums discussing the tips, tricks, and challenges of your operation.

good luck!

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
There are methods in some threads. One mentioned a method to get the rear most piece of subfloor in - take out the back plate, then put some weight on the rear frame and/or lift up on the shell to create a gap between the shell and frame, then slide the plywood in from the back of the trailer (outside to inside).
I hope to be at this stage soon.
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote