Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #1
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
tilting floor

I have a 1976 26ft argosy with rear bath. W hen leveling the trailer I discovered the back half of the floor tilts downward toward the bath. Everything seems to be solid (no floor squeaks or soft spots). Is this a common problem with this model trailer? If so, what should I do about it? Maybe someone out there can help me solve this problem.

Thanks

Billy
bdbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 03:30 PM   #2

Hi Billy,
I have identical Argosy and also have the tilting floor. Hopefully someone can help us with this annoying problem. I'm just wondering if the back could use a couple of scissor jacks to help lift the back bath??
Karen
kareng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
Tilting Floor

Hi Karen
Thanks for the reply. My Argosy has built in stabilizers. They do nothing for the tilting floor. The floor is level fron side to side just tilts from center of trailer to the rear. H ow long have you owned your trailer? I would like to hear from some of the other Argosy owners and see if this is a common problem or if it is a problem at all.

thanks Billy
Old 06-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
It's rear end Sag. There are a bunch of posts. I did a search with "Sag" and came up with a few pages of hits. If that link doesn't work hit the search button top right and use "Sag" as the key word.

It's not a good thing. Several thoughts as to what causes. Andy, Our resident Airstream dealer/ Service center, feels that the biggest cause is wheel ballance issues. Some feel its partly to do with too much weight in the rear of the vehicle while towing.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 07:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
tilting floor

Greetings Billy and Karen!

My '64 Overlander (26') had about an 1/8" difference between the axles and the rear, but it wasn't sag or droop; rather it was separation caused by 40 years of bouncing down the highway with a rear bumper mounted spare tire carrier. This was identified by the fact that the bumper could be moved independently of the body - - when I sat on the bumper, the bumper would move down about an 1/8", but the body of the coach did not move. The repair was to add suspenders between the rear of the body and the rear frame members - - this was a repair handled by my Airstream dealer at a cost of about $1,250.

If I understand my dealer's explanation, the problem could have been either droop/sag or separation. There is usually also some skin damage just to the rear of the axles when droop/sag is the problem.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:29 PM   #6
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
TILTING FLOOR

KAREN
CHECK OUT THE POST ARGOSY FLOOR. THERE IS INTERESTING INFO THERE ALSO

GOOD LUCK

BILLY
Old 06-30-2003, 09:28 PM   #7

Thank you all for your help and info. I will check out everything recommended.
Take care,
Karen
kareng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
[QUOTE]If I understand my dealer's explanation, the problem could have been either droop/sag or separation. There is usually also some skin damage just to the rear of the axles when droop/sag is the problem. [QUOTE]

Oh my!

You're scaring me now!

When I purchased our most recent A/S (1983 Excella 31') I noticed what looked like a slight ripple in the skin just behind the axles. I've replaced the carpet and the floor seems to be very solid and level. However, on the other side of the coach there has been some damage from the shower but not enough to justify removing the bath for repair. I've always been concerned somewhat with the ripple I see but I finally decided to just not worry about it. I've owned the trailer for about 2 years and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I can't tell that there is any kind of drop in the floor either.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:16 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Tail droop

I believe that I have read that tail droop was most common on longer rear-bath models built during the Beatrice Foods ownership of Airstream (1967-1979) as a result of relocating the tanks to the rear of the coach. The structure wasn't stiff enough to carry the weight of full tanks cantilevered that far out from the axles causing the structure to sag in the rear. It is also accompanied by skin ripples, usually near the rear axle.

The condition can be repaired by an Airstream dealer for around $2k as I recall. It involves stiffening the frame and reinforcing the frame-body joints.

My best advice would be to contact a dealer to see what exactly is going on with your Argosy.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:19 AM   #10
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
TILTING FLOOR

THERE ARE NO RIPPLES IN THE SKIN OF THE COACH. IT APPEARS THE FLOOR HAS DISCONNECTED FROM THE BODY FROM CENTER OF COACH BACK TO BATH AREA. I WILL START CHECKING THINGS OUT AND WILL LET YOU KNLW WHAT I FIND.

THANKS AGAIN

BILLY