Old 06-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Terry:

I have not figured out the battery problem yet. I have put it on the back burner. I have been using the battery charger and charging the battery. I use the AC in the trailer for my drills and tools. I have not plugged the converter into the AC. I will take it to an RV shop and have them give me their recommendation. I have a 3230 converter (parrallax) and I am clueless when it comes to electricity. I have been told by several folks they were discontinued 9 years ago. I bought it off the net as new. It looks new and it probably is new. Probably was sitting on the shelf in a box for years. Hopefully we can get this problem solved. I have the link to the technical data for this converter. It is all greek to me.

http://www.parallaxpower.com/3200/Pa...r%20Manual.pdf

SIU Bound
Brian

Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hooked the trailer to the truck so I can take it to an RV repair shop. Axels will be evaluated and see what the cost would be to replace them with Dexter. I am also going to have them check my gas lines and converter. When I get it back I will put the bathroom back together, put in my last new fan and put in a Laminate floor. I will have a few airstream vents, fans, and interior lights that go with them. I have not decided what to do with those parts.

Check out the pics. I know you will tell me that I need new axels, but I wonder if I can put them off until after the summer. I still plan on going camping.

It won't let me post pics again. I will log out and try again.

SIU Bound

Brian

Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #115
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound View Post
Hooked the trailer to the truck so I can take it to an RV repair shop. Axels will be evaluated and see what the cost would be to replace them with Dexter. I am also going to have them check my gas lines and converter. When I get it back I will put the bathroom back together, put in my last new fan and put in a Laminate floor...........

Brian
Sounds like a good plan. A second opinion never hurts. Having somebody check the gas and electric stuff is also a great idea. I see camping by Independance day.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
pics of the trailer ready to be towed.

SIU Bound

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trcktrail1a.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	62530  
Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #117
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Water heater door idea.

I saw something at Moraine View that might be useful.

A water heater door had been replaced. The owner laminated a piece of coated aluminum to the exterior of the door and did the edges with blue trim.
Et Voila, a door that matches the trailer without having to fab it.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Red:

Thanks for the tip! I think I am going to have it powder coated next year. My goal is to get it up and running.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 07-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My wife and I installed vinyl strips on the rub runners. My wife painted most of the emblems and letters. I am almost finished with the bathroom and we are very close to using our Airstream. Check out the updated pics.

The vinyl I bought at a sign business for 20 dollars, they have a computer that operates the machine to make the cuts for the vinyl. You just give them how much and what size and they do the rest. I got the vinyl so cheap because it has been discontinued. It is not a perfect match but the price was right. We bought our paint at an auto collision supply store for thirty dollars.

You will see the trailer before we started and what we have accomplished to this point
SIU Bound
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Overlander 73.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	63122   Click image for larger version

Name:	vynal.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	63124  

Name:	vinyl install.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	63125  
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
More Pics of trailer upgrade

SIU Bound

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	plumbing.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	63126   Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl spray.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	63127  

Old 09-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Interior pics and some emblem painting

I have three new fans on top. The interior is complete except a small amout of trim. I have a new intel converter installed and it is working great. Everything is working and we have pulled it a few times to a local park. I am saving for axels and have enough for one axel. I took pics of the parts of my Zipp Dee awning and I am going to price missing parts and replacement parts. Check out the pics. We really love the laminate floor, shades, curtains, radio, everything we are very happy with our coach.

Lothlorian

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sept3.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	68417   Click image for larger version

Name:	sept12.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	68419  

Name:	sept7.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	68420  
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I forgot to show you the floor. Laminate is the way to go.

Lothlorian

Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sept1.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	68425   Click image for larger version

Name:	sept10.JPG
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	68426  

Name:	sept11.JPG
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	68427   Click image for larger version

Name:	sept9.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	68428  

Old 09-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Looks great, Brian, you've come a long way. Glad to hear you're enjoying it out on the road!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Medford , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Ok airstreamers here is what I did today. I installed the nyloboard and bolts. I used the 1/4" and 3/8" bolts. I also installed the other bolts to the added frame so I could screw the nyloboard to the cut end of the floor. I also tried to take a picture of one of the extra bracket I installed on the outside of the frame. It came out fuzzy. Just added reinforcement to the floor so it does not rock and roll. Only my wife and I are allowed to rock and roll as we are camping. Check out the pics. I also added a butt plate.

The nyloboard is made of recycled carpet which is melted and made into nylon board. It does not rust. works like plywood.

SIU Bound

Brian
These pics were invaluable to demystify several things. Hi, we are in the process of replacing our 27' 1973 Overlander and have been going really slowly as I no not know what is under the rotten floor. So far not much. How did you support the Nyloboard?? I see the "cleets" but what else did you do to get good support? Perhaps that is the "fuzzy" picture you referred to.

I see this post was over three years ago, so perhaps I'll email you as I could use some reassurance ;-)

Richard and Della
Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Medford , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Ok airstreamers here is what I did today. I installed the nyloboard and bolts. I used the 1/4" and 3/8" bolts. I also installed the other bolts to the added frame so I could screw the nyloboard to the cut end of the floor. I also tried to take a picture of one of the extra bracket I installed on the outside of the frame. It came out fuzzy. Just added reinforcement to the floor so it does not rock and roll. Only my wife and I are allowed to rock and roll as we are camping. Check out the pics. I also added a butt plate.

The nyloboard is made of recycled carpet which is melted and made into nylon board. It does not rust. works like plywood.

SIU Bound

Brian
Hi again Brian; Well I will take your advice today and remove the bumper and drop the belly skins. I am looking forward to the end of "dis-mantlement" and the beginning of construction ;-) In the three photos in this of your posts, I am assuming in the third photo, looking up at your installed nyloboard, we are viewing from the rear, is that correct? I'm looking for that infamous "butt plate" that I can't seem to understand.

Our Overlander has the rear bumper storage box extension, if that makes any difference in my lack of understanding. The waste lines are taken through that area and exits on the rear street side.

THanks again,
Richard
Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Rich,

The butt plate referred to is the strip of plywood that was installed below the joint in the two pieces of nyloboard. Another name for it might be spline. There should be enough support from the floor frame all the way around the edges of the pieces of flooring installed in this thread. Opening up the belly pan in that area will answer a lot of questions for you.

Malcolm