Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The perfect floor material?

So... went to my local floor shop and found quite a knowledgable person. They said there have been 100's of people in with the same problem as me... vinyl floor split from the cold.

It turns out there is a Canadian product called Ecoclick that is a vinyl/fibreglass product, 5mm think, that interlocks like laminate and doesn't need adhesive. They claim it does not expand/contract AT ALL and installation can be right tight to any walls.

EZ Lay Flooring featuring Ecolay & Ecoclick - Vancouver, BC

Anyway... there aren't many colours in the 'click' version of it right now, but it seems like the perfect product for my needs... easy to install... no cracking in the cold... 50% recycled material and 20 year warranty. It's also around $4 a foot, which isn't as cheap as some laminates, but it is also thinner and flexible.

They make a non-click version that you just lay down... but I don't think it is the right idea for a trailer that is going to be bouncing around...

I've emailed them for any tips on use in an RV, and will let you all know how it works...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Looks like a good product?

Yes, Let us know how it works out.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
EZ Lay Flooring featuring Ecolay & Ecoclick - Vancouver, BC
I've emailed them for any tips on use in an RV, and will let you all know how it works...
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
They make a non-click version that you just lay down... but I don't think it is the right idea for a trailer that is going to be bouncing around...
I'm curious about your thinking behind this. We'll probably be replacing our flooring within the year, and I was having the exact opposite thought— that a trailer that is bouncing around would do better to have once solid piece of flooring with no "moving parts". I'd be worried about the seams between tiles becoming misaligned as the trailer moves, and also that the seams are just another place to collect dirt. But I may be missing something crucial here, so I'd love to hear more…

ETA—oh never mind! I hadn't looked at the ecoclick yet and assumed it was a type of linoleum/marmolium product —*not wood. I totally see how that would be an issue with wood!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We put in pergo free floating floor and never had a problem. I figure it moves with the trailer just like carpet would.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The perfect floor is one you can pull up and check for leaks periodically. And one that won't hold or trap water. These two things are somewhat mutually exclusive. The floating laminated floor is a pretty good compromise.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
I'm curious about your thinking behind this. We'll probably be replacing our flooring within the year, and I was having the exact opposite thought— that a trailer that is bouncing around would do better to have once solid piece of flooring with no "moving parts". I'd be worried about the seams between tiles becoming misaligned as the trailer moves, and also that the seams are just another place to collect dirt. But I may be missing something crucial here, so I'd love to hear more…

ETA—oh never mind! I hadn't looked at the ecoclick yet and assumed it was a type of linoleum/marmolium product —*not wood. I totally see how that would be an issue with wood!
It's not a wood product... it uses a fibreglass core and a vinyl top and wear layer. I only played with 2 pieces of it that they had, and they have to order some more, but it is flexible, the interlocks join up nice, and it is thinner and lighter than any 'wood' laminate I've seen.

As it is not supposed to expand/contract with temperature, it should last longer in my climate than the typical product.

I hope once I have it all laid down and interlocked, that it will basically act as one floating floor unit. Ideally, one sheet of vinyl (or whatever) would be great, but without lifting the whole interior, it's beyond my skill level. This stuff should do the trick. I'm estimating about $750 for materials, so that isn't too crazy.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
south central , Wisconsin
...new to the forum; got our 77 31' Sovereign last year and I'm looking for tips on subfloor repair. I saw this post and thought I'd throw in my 2cents.
I'm a flooring contractor (installation). I previously worked flooring retail for 10 yrs. I'm also a curious bugger (read "know-it-all"). Anyhow, I install a lot of material in this category (LVT - Luxury Vinyl Tile). There are quite a few vinyl based materials with locking systems that I think are ideal for an AS floor. Yesterday I FINALLY decided on mine and I went with Mannington Adura ("tile" in the bath, plank in the rest). You could find any number of brands that would be suitable and I think have similar results. I know that vinyl is NOT thermally stable but I don't think it will move enough in our situations to be a problem. I am suspicious of the claim by EZ Lay that the layer of fiberglass in their product actually will control expansion/contraction, but it might help. I do think this category is a great fit because being "loose laid" it is free to move with the bounce and shifting of an old AS, but even better, it is easily removed and re-installed. Reading about the extent that AS'ers repair/renovate, this is a stellar feature.
This is a growing market and the products have not been on the market (at least with the locking systems) for more than a couple of years, so I would recommend going with a brand that has a good rep for quality... or just get the cheapest stuff and don't cry if you have to replace in a few years. As far as the joints are concerned, I have been very impressed with the joint integrity of the floors I have installed... especially the newer "locking" versions. Lippage is almost imperceptible, gapping has not been a problem, and I like the idea that they could "slide" along the joint if that much movement was needed. They are much better than other flooring categories at tolerating an out-of-plane subfloor as well.
Speaking of other flooring categories... I would never put a wood-based laminate floor (pergo, etc) in my AS. There is way too much exposure to moisture problems (moisture will trash lam) and temperature/humidity swings are way too wide. (A couple days back it was in the 50's at night and today it was 102... I did NOT venture in this aft to see what temp it was in the silver oven.

...for what it's worth,
Scott
SWesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Scott,
Thanks for your input. I've quickly looked at their website and I'll be doing some more investigation.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote