Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #85

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Thanks Chuck...that is good to know. BUT...what about the issue of an increase in frame size? During late '70s or early '80s???

Maybe you can shed some light on this??? Tom R in Two Harbors MN
My '77 Ambassador has 5" rails, a rear bath and Frame stiffeners that appear to be factory installed.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Concerned

I have just bought a 1968 30' AS. I am doing my research backwards. After reading through the forums I am getting an education. Seems it may be one that could be painfull. It seems that the concensus is that they all sag or have been fixed. I have only seen pics! My wife saw it for a few minutes but did not even think we would get serious at the time. So we are planning to go from Miami to Destin Fla. about 650 miles away. We are planning to spend three nights on the road. The claim is that "every thing works". The pictures look great! but after reading this thread I am feeling a little apprehensive! Any way we are commited now and we will hope for the best!
When I arive what should I look for to determine haw bad the "SAG" is?

Old 11-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #87
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I came across this one on eBay. Would you say this one has rear end seperation? Looks like it's got the tell tail elephant ears around the storage door, yet it still looks like the body is coming off the frame in the back.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-AIRSTREAM-EXCELLA-500-31-ft-feet-TRAVEL-Trailer-A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50063QQihZ006QQitemZ1 60051283592QQrdZ1"]Airstream Excella
This Excella has "considerable" rear end separation. Someone did the elephant ear (POOR) repair that obviously from the photo's didn't last.

It also looks like the axles are about gone.

Good shape? I don't think so. Look at the front banana wraps. Dents in the bottom of the rear quarter panels.

Polish job? Not too bad. But plasticoated to protect it so that you don't have to wax it every month? Doesn't look that way.

This one should be personally inspected before any bidding.

Andy
Old 11-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #88
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
This Excella has "considerable" rear end separation. Someone did the elephant ear (POOR) repair that obviously from the photo's didn't last.
Andy
As Andy has pointed out this trailer had the "elephant ear" repair done at some time in it's life. The repair has been mentioned many times in this forum and I wanted to post a picture of what it looks like from the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elephantear.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	28686  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:33 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Gasselternijveen , drenthe
Send a message via AIM to AxelBruijnis
hi guys ,

I recently joined the forum from holland, and bought a 1978 sovereign middle bath on ebay, a while ago.
I discovered this forum after buying the A/S, and suspect rear end seperation, and maybe bad axles.
The problem is: I am in europe, and the A/S is in maryland. Since most of you have more "hands- and eyes-on " experience then I do, can you take a look at the pictures and tell me what you see ?

http://www.macnetic.net/airstream

If its in real bad shape it may make sense to fix it in the usa, instead of shipping it over first. Thank you for your help !

Axel & Annieta
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	c1e3re2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	29053  
Old 11-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelBruijnis
hi guys ,

I recently joined the forum from holland, and bought a 1978 sovereign middle bath on ebay, a while ago.
I discovered this forum after buying the A/S, and suspect rear end seperation, and maybe bad axles.
The problem is: I am in europe, and the A/S is in maryland. Since most of you have more "hands- and eyes-on " experience then I do, can you take a look at the pictures and tell me what you see ?

http://www.macnetic.net/airstream

If its in real bad shape it may make sense to fix it in the usa, instead of shipping it over first. Thank you for your help !

Axel & Annieta

They appear not as good as they could be, but not as bad either.

If you want axles then put them on before you ship the trailer. Freight to Europe for just the axles, can become expensive very quickly.

It also appears the the trailer does have rear end separation, more so on the left side than the right side.

Again, be careful who corrects this problem for you. Some know how to do it correctly, others do temporary repairs at best.

Andy
Old 11-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Gasselternijveen , drenthe
Send a message via AIM to AxelBruijnis
Thank you for your extremely fast response, Andy !
I will be in maryland in january, and try to check the axles with the guide in my hand.

Is there anyone you would trust in the state of maryland that could handle my seperation issues ?

Axel & Annieta
Old 11-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #92
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelBruijnis
Thank you for your extremely fast response, Andy !
I will be in maryland in january, and try to check the axles with the guide in my hand.

Is there anyone you would trust in the state of maryland that could handle my seperation issues ?

Axel & Annieta
There are no Airstream dealers in Maryland.

The closest would be Parkview in Smyrna Delaware.

They have been around for a long time and are good.

Their phone # is 800-4331346.

Andy
Old 09-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #93
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
South East Idaho , South East Idaho
my problem

I intend to fish plate this frame. What about the balance of the trailer when I add weight to one side other than original.
Anxiously await your replyes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	68384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	68385  

Name:	IMG_0222.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	68386  
Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Man, I wish there were better pics of this and the process or redoing it... I will try to post as I go... I know i have rear end sag.... Did from the day I bought it... As soon as I was about 12" from the rear bath I could feel the floor starting to drop..

Now,,,, The back tank is cracked but I have temp fix with plastic weld... Stuff works great The floor is sitting on top of the black tank which shoved the valve into the frame which cracked the tank...

The pic bellow show the wood floor completely rotted away from the frame.. We are going to Zion in two weeks and I have to get the front of the trailer rebuilt and put back in.. So the rear end is for when I get back.. Also i think the rear axel is toast... Could be part of the prob......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4333.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	68436  

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
Has anyone had this repair done professionally, and if so, can you make any recommendations? East of the Mississippi. Thanks in advance, Gwen
Old 09-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #96
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesatvs View Post
I intend to fish plate this frame. What about the balance of the trailer when I add weight to one side other than original.
Anxiously await your replyes.
You will have to go much further than just fish plating.

The chassis will need to be realigned back to a straight line, before fish plating can be added.

If you do not realingn the chassis and go ahead with fish plating, then you will lock the trailer into a goofy shape.

The frame is crack for 2 reasons.

1. Towing the trailer with out proper running gear balance.

2. The chassis photo's also suggest that the axle has been shot for a long long time.

Towing with a bad axle, will punish the frame as well as the entire trailer.

Frame cracking as shown in your photo's is very common to towing with bad axle/axles.

Andy
Old 09-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
I still have some downward looking axial (not level yet) But looking at the wheel from the side(stepping back 15') I have less than 3" clearance.(your rule of thumb)
I can tell the trailer has been wrecked on that side.(some inward bows,cracked door and door frame)
They welded a plate to the out side of the frame to axial plate(hard to see in the pic) That plate is cracked from top to bottom. I jacked the frame up at the rear of the trailer using a spirit level to get a level reading on the rear bumper. Doing that brought the cracks together.
Any way, your telling me the shell must come off and square up the frame? Bummer,I thought so. And I thought I could do a floor replacement with shell on.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
In other words I think it took a hard hit. Harder than a hard bump with a bad axial.
I better expose the other side to veiw it's condition
I'll be back.....