Old 04-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Bend , Oregon
Subfloor width - no template.

Putting a new subfloor on my 1966 Overlander 26' and I don't have an old floor as a template. My question is how wide should the floor be? Just the width of the outriggers, or should there be a little overhang? My first cuts have it with 1/2" overhang on each side. Thanks!

Gilda1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Hey Gilda, pm me and I will measure mine tomorrow for you. I'm at the same stage on a 68 Overlander and I still have the front plywood piece to use as a template.

'68 Overlander
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No two are exactly the same - tho another one of the same vintage should be almost right... AND the curve on each side may actually be different.

If you can find some cardboard sheets - preferably double thick you could make a pattern. Cut it into 3 pieces paralleling the frame rails - the center will probably be a rectangle or near rectangle - just jam it all the way into the C channel to get the measurement right, mark where it hits the frame rails or cross members on each side and remove. Then start whittling away at a guesstimage curve on each side and fit/refit/refit/refit... you get the idea. Once you get both sides done put all three pieces in to check the fit. the thicker the cardboard the more accurate you'll likely be, if you also remember that you may have to BEVEL the cuts on the plywood.

If you cut away too much of a curved piece, you can take posterboard (or old shoe box cardboard) and recut that portion of the curve and test fit it until it's perfect, then just tape the piece down to the cardboard.

(I helped one guy do this 10 years ago... hope my memory hasn't faded all that much. Do watch out about the thickness of the plywood you choose. Some years used 5/8 and some used 3/4... or maybe 7/16. I understand a few people have chosen a thicker plywood, and have then routed the edge down to fit the C channel.

Personally I'd rather make upholstery patterns.
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
My '68 Overlander measured 88 & 1/16 inches at the back of the front piece of ply that I kept for a template. 3/4" thick. I would think ours would have the same width and curves. The c-channel is extruded aluminum and most likely bent of the same curved jig for our vintage. I am completely replacing my channel since half the rivets where already popped out of it anyways. So I can simply lay that down as a template too since it is disconnected from the shell!
'68 Overlander
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Working through the renovation of my 72 Overlander, fitting the flooring was by far the biggest pain in the project.

Foiled Again is right. Construct a pattern that will cut down on the time you need to fit and refit the sub floor.

I had the rear shell completely unzipped so I could stuff a sheet of 1/4" luan in from the rear, then I took a pencil drew the curve right onto the luan. Once I had my pattern right, cutting the floor was pretty simple.

The point needs to be reiterated that most likely neither side of the curve will match the other. These old beasts were hand built and everyone is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote