Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
subfloor width?

1972 International 31'
My subfloor was substantially rotted and broken down when I lifted the body off the chassis.
In the process I could not and failed to get a clean deck width measurement.

Does anyone know what the width of the plywood subfloor panels should be?

My outriggers are 91" outside width and I believe the double C-channel should sit on top of the outrigger and bolt through the outrigger.

Thanks in advance...trying to cut the width and then I can cut the reveal slot for the C-channel to fit over so I can seal the subfloor plywood.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
Since no one knew, I put the double C channels on the outriggers and put some 1/4" bolts through the holes to line them up to OE position and the distance between the 2/C channel pockets was 91-1/2" with a little room to spare.

I cut the lengths and then used my Porter Cable electric plane with a fence on it set at just shy of 2" and 5/64" deep to cut the rabbet recess for the 2/C.

Now my son in law to be and I are using a flooring water seal product called "Red Gard" by Custom products. It is sold at Home Depot in the flooring section near grouts and poly mortar. It is crazy expensive at $135 for 3.5 gallons but that is enough for a good heavy coat on both sides and all edges of the plywood.
This stuff is so rubbery and sealing that it is certified as approved for use as a shower pan sealer...that is DRY.

It goes on with a brush, roller, or even a trowel and is thicker consistency than paint. It is PINK, like pepto bismol pink, pink panther pink, in the bucket and when applied, but it dries a bright red. I think it is a good addition to the moisture protection process.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Great information - thanks for sharing and telling us about this product.

It is so, so important to get a full sheet of plywood out to the perimeter in order to give a good bedding platform for the "C" channel to be able to do it's job of holding the shell to the frame.

"do it right the first time"

Hope you get as much enjoyment and use out of your '72 as Mary and I have with our '78. It's been 10 years since we purchased the Sovereign, but we now have, for all practical purposes, a new trailer built to "our" specifications and laid out and furnished exactly as we want.

How about some step by step pictures of your project?

Good luck!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote