Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Waxahachie , Texas
subfloor seam placement

So we are finished with our tear down and I am having my frame rebuilt. The placement of the subfloor by Airstream appears to have put the seams over the 5" C channel making the center of the floor a solid piece and from the outriggers to the shell a separate piece.

At first I felt this only weakened the floor and I thought of simply laying my subfloor across the entire width with no seams. Now I am wondering if that seam on the C channel was so that if there was flex it wouldnt break the subfloor structure.

Should I make seams over the C channel to the outriggers or should I lay my subfloor as a solid width with no seams to the outriggers?
The Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
So we are finished with our tear down and I am having my frame rebuilt. The placement of the subfloor by Airstream appears to have put the seams over the 5" C channel making the center of the floor a solid piece and from the outriggers to the shell a separate piece.

At first I felt this only weakened the floor and I thought of simply laying my subfloor across the entire width with no seams. Now I am wondering if that seam on the C channel was so that if there was flex it wouldnt break the subfloor structure.

Should I make seams over the C channel to the outriggers or should I lay my subfloor as a solid width with no seams to the outriggers?
My subfloor was a solid width, and that's the only way I've seen it in others' projects. I suspect if you have a seam in that location, your subfloor was replaced at some point. When replacing, I'd do the entire width as one piece if possible.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kansas City , Kansas
Totally agree with TheGreatleys. I don't think the factory ever installed subfloor like you mentioned. Go with full width sheets, it will be easier (assuming shell off).
LifeIsRiveting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I agree also, full width. I placed all my joints over crossmembers. I had to move/replace a number of crossmembers to accommodate tanks. I also splined all the subfloor joints. Mainly to keep the finished floor from damage due to movement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	splined floor joints.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	310671

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Waxahachie , Texas
Great thank you. I started overthinking it. My entire AS came this way., that’s why I was thinking it might have come from the factory that way.
The Beard is offline   Reply With Quote