Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
Traytown , Newfoundland
Wow. This is a lot to take in. Thanks everyone.

I'm a very stubborn person. I never pick the easy path. I have to take this into account whenever I have an insane idea that flies red flags for everyone but me. While I love restoration projects and have always wanted a vintage trailer, the truth is that I'm trying to save money on rent in Boulder, CO---it's hard to find anything under $1500/month for a dog-friendly private apartment. I thought I could fix this trailer up for full-timing and come out on the other side of my last year of grad school with a cool trailer instead of nothing to show for the $17000 shelled out in rent... And then sell it if I had to and recoup a little of the cost back. I don't expect to make money, but I can't afford to lose thousands either.

Trailer thoughts:
I still think it's in reasonable condition. I don't think it's worth $7000 USD because of where it's located for one, but also according to's price guide (which the seller has been using incorrectly). It quotes an 'average' condition 1968 Overlander 26' as between 3500-6500 USD, defining average to include fully functioning appliances and water/electrical systems, no soft spots in the floor, and no more than a couple dents in the shell (among other things). While it's definitely better than 'as is' I would estimate it on the lower end of average, given that the fridge, furnace and water heater are broken, the water system is compromised due to a leak, the toilet is broken and the floor is rotting in the rear. I want to offer closer to $4000-5000 USD but he'll probably balk. We'll see!!!

Great advice about the pipes, Redleger, thank-you! Can I ask where your leak was??? Was the only way to get to it through the floor? There are plenty of avenues to access the pipes along most walls, inside cabinets and through outside panels but there are a couple spots in the bathroom I couldn't get at.

_ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
true the rubber rods become hard, but that effects the ride of the trailer and in my experience is not as big a deal as some will say, especially those who sell them
My 66 has surface rust on the axles which means nothing to their performance. You can use a steel wire brush and get them cleaner , then paint them if you like. I keep the bearings lubed and the performance has been fine. No popped rivets seen in my 5 years of ownership.
All the 1960's Airstreams are torsion axle. Even the leaf spring ones from the 50's,can be converted to this set up and achieve a better ride.

1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Huntington Beach , California
If the axels have never been replaced They need to be Hey dealer cost for my 1978 Excella 500 31 foot was $1500. Best of luck
Jerry Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
true the rubber rods become hard, but that effects the ride of the trailer and in my experience is not as big a deal as some will say, especially those who sell them
Popping rivets is the least serious problem with bad axles. Other problems include (but are not limited to) the bulkheads going through the ceiling, the frame cracking above the axles and the floor warping. Don't ask me how I know. Hint: I am also stubborn.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
San Luis Obispo , California
New Axles

I replaced the axles on my '66 Overlander and just returned from a 3000 mile trip. We used to put a hold down bar over the clothes rod to keep the clothes from falling off the rod. A few times, this trip the bars didn't get put on and the clothes did not come off and we had several very bad dips in the road. I also noticed items placed on the floor did not move around as before. The trailer also raised by by 3" with the new axles which sure helped going in and out of driveways. Not one "bumper scrape" the whole trip. I am a firm believer now. Bite the bullet and do it. You won't be sorry.

slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote