Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
Subfloor rot in rear end (bathroom) '68 Overlander - easy to spot-fix?

Hi, everyone.

I'm looking to buy this '68 Overlander but I'm nervous about the floor. There is a leak in the bathroom (owner thinks it's the hot water tank but why would it be wet here? Water pipe? Window?).

If this is the only true problem area (the rest of the floor looks great), is it possible to cut this out and patch the subfloor? Obviously I'd take care of the leaky pipe while I'm down there, too.

You can find the full album of photos here: http://imgur.com/a/BG89m

Kind thanks for you time and advice. I really appreciate it!
_ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Poke around all the recesses like under sinks and windows with an ice pick to look for soft punky wood. Actually, if that is the only floor rot you are finding in a 68 you are doing really good. If the floor is not completely rotten you may be able to get off easy with stabilizing the wood with a penetrating epoxy like Rot Doctor. If you do a wood patch I would still use Rot Doctor. They also make an epoxy wood filler.

The bigger question is what is the condition of the frame as far as rust and cancer. Look under the stairs and under any openings in the floor like in the galley and the rear storage compartment. Surface rust is OK and expected. If the trailer has been in a damp area, especially exposed to salt air and road salt are 2 red flags.

This is not to say the trailer is not worth fixing. Take the figure you have in your head about how much time and mopey it will cost to get it road worthy and triple it. And, you will need new axles.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
Lumatic. Oh man. Thank-you so much for your advice. You're amazing.

So, the trailer has been parked about 300 feet from saltwater for 1 year. Otherwise it has been stored each winter in a garage in Quebec. The stairs have completely rusted off. I was not on my game the day we looked at it and didn't think to look at the floor there at the door (duh). The frame is definitely coated with surface rust (at least what I can see of it through a couple vents) but I can't imagine it looks good where the rot is... what to say of possible rear end separation. I couldn't see the frame from the rear storage compartment... I wonder how I could get at it from that end.

The seller wants $9000 CDN for it (~$7000 USD). It's in the middle of nowhere, essentially... 3 hours from the capital city of the island of Newfoundland. So, with this floor issue, the cost to swap out axles, tires, replace the furnace and fridge, fix the leak (potentially replace hot water tank)... I'm thinking to offer him $5000-6000 CDN. He's going to lose money no matter what he does, as far as I can tell. I can fix a lot of it here but I'm really hoping to make it to NJ to get some help from my father-in-law on the axles (he's a mechanic with his own shop).

THANK YOU!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ally View Post
L what to say of possible rear end separation.!
60s Airstream had a more substantial frame than 70s so are less subject to rear end separation. The field test is to stand on the back bumper and bounce up and down. You should see little to no movement of the bumper independent of the body of the coach. The main cause of rear end separation is floor rot in the rear of the coach.

60's Airstreams fetch a bigger price than 70s. Smaller Airstreams fetch a bigger price than larger ones. I think the price is probably on the high side, but not out of the market range. Prices seem to be slowly going up to me. Don't look at a vintage Airstream as an investment. You will be lucky to break even. Unless you are looking forward to the rewards of doing the restoration the best deals are in vintage units where some of the grunge work was already been done for you, but I am guessing there are less Airstreams available in Canada.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
why do you think it needs axles? If the bearings and tires are ok you can tow it fine and worry about that later.
The leak could be from the vent over the bathroom, typically the vents all over the roof will leak if they have not been sealed in awhile.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
why do you think it needs axles? If the bearings and tires are ok you can tow it fine and worry about that later.
If the axles are the original torsion arm axles there is a 99.99% chance the internal rubber rods have lost their flexibility. Not sure the axles are torsion arm axles but I believe AS started using them early 60s. I agree a careful tow from point A to point B to begin work is possible.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
I'm assuming the axles need to be replaced because of the rust... esp. the shocks/shock mounts. They are original. Y'all are right tho I could get back to the US on them. The tires looked new but I didn't check for dry rot. Can you sandblast axles and shocks and the like? You know the way you can redo a frame? Probably not. My father-in-law is gonna laugh at me for sure. Haha.

I wouldn't know if they were torsion arm or not. I wish I had a picture!

Thing is I'll probably have to sell the Airstream once I'm done with it (after a year) 'cause we want to buy a house and don't have a lot of money saved for a downpayment. Whatever I can get away with not doing, I'll likely take that route. If I knew I could keep it I'd go all out.

Good to know about the possible overhead vent leak, thanks ALANSD.

Your advice is always helpful, Lumatic!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
A RV dealer near me had an Overlander, same year and condition. They only want 2500, so 7 grand seems high to me.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Many of us started with the idea that our "new to us" trailer needed just a bit of patch, clean up and cabinet work. Four years later we are nearing completion of restoration. Having paid almost $7K to buy it and invested about twice that in restoration, we do not expect to recover our investment when we sell it. It has been a fun project though and we look forward to travel adventures in the years ahead. No regrets.
If you really want to keep it a year and then sell it to buy a home, our experience would say "Don't do it!".
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I'm assuming the axles need to be replaced because of the rust........... Can you sandblast axles and shocks and the like? You know the way you can redo a frame? Probably not. My father-in-law is gonna laugh at me for sure. Haha.

I wouldn't know if they were torsion arm or not. I wish I had a picture!

Thing is I'll probably have to sell the Airstream once I'm done with it (after a year) 'cause we want to buy a house and don't have a lot of money saved for a downpayment. !
The problem with the torsion arm axles is not rust. There are internal rubber rods that do that replace leaf springs. Over time the rubber hardens and the axle will not absorb road shock. (Maybe someone reading this knows for sure when AS replaced leaf spring axles with torsion arm axles). If the axles do not have leaf springs they are torsion arm axles. Sandblasting will not do anything for an axle. It will for the frame in preparation for future rust prevention. From your description you are probably looking at a several year project, maybe even a frame off restoration. One year does not sound realistic. You will probably loose money on your costs if you sell her. You also will have to pay an import duty to bring the AS into the US.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Rumford , Rhode Island
You also can look around the rear storage compartment. You can see how much the black tank box has rusted away. And check how rusted the bracket holds it up. You can also see part of the frame from inside the box. Look underneath to see how those 2 side frame parts look.

Look for vinyl separation/bubbles where the interior walls meet the floor especially where the 2 panels meet. We bought our 1968 Globetrotter knowing that it would need a lot of work. Basically most of the floor is good, but NOT along the sides, front and back. So it will be replaced. Ripping out the bathroom is NOT an easy project. Our Airstream not only had the C channel bolts, but was stapled to the floor also. Banging out the staples was not that easy.

This is not something that you will have for a year and sell to break even or a profit. Just too much work and money. Lots of surprises also.

Steve and Deb
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
San Jose , California
From the photos you posted it appears the trailer needs to have all major systems repaired or more likely replaced. This means a new furnace, water heater, voltage converter, water pump, refrigerator, AC and tires/axles/brakes. In addition, there is likely floor rot near the door as well as the area you already are aware of. Then there is frame rust and/or damage as others have mentioned. Since it's been stored in a salt atmosphere, chances are light fixtures, switches and other electrical components have corroded and need replacement. Depending on how far you take the restoration, upholstery, drapes and floor covering also may become part of the equation.

Don't count on coming close to breaking even if you plan to sell it soon.
ajnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Quote:
The seller wants $9000 CDN for it (~$7000 USD).
We're just finishing up our second Airstream restoration and I've got to say that this puppy is going to need a lot of work and $$$. I wouldn't touch it for more than $3500 USD. I like the center bunks, though. Good luck if you decide to buy it! It'll be a multi-year Project for sure.
msimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sun Lakes , Arizona
We have a 69 Overlander with a weak floor at the bathroom sink. I suspect moisture is the culprit in our situation as well. I fixed our water leak already and will be attacking the floor next.

I'm writing about the water leak. I recommend changing any copper to PEX when working on your plumbing. PEX is really easy to work with, easier to fix then copper as well. I started down stream from the pressure regulator and replaced all the copper on the shore power side to the gally in Judy a few hours, this included the main line to the head as well. You can buy push on adapters to go from copper to PEX at the hardware store.

Good luck
Redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
Wow. This is a lot to take in. Thanks everyone.

Background:
I'm a very stubborn person. I never pick the easy path. I have to take this into account whenever I have an insane idea that flies red flags for everyone but me. While I love restoration projects and have always wanted a vintage trailer, the truth is that I'm trying to save money on rent in Boulder, CO---it's hard to find anything under $1500/month for a dog-friendly private apartment. I thought I could fix this trailer up for full-timing and come out on the other side of my last year of grad school with a cool trailer instead of nothing to show for the $17000 shelled out in rent... And then sell it if I had to and recoup a little of the cost back. I don't expect to make money, but I can't afford to lose thousands either.

Trailer thoughts:
I still think it's in reasonable condition. I don't think it's worth $7000 USD because of where it's located for one, but also according to www.vintageairstream.com's price guide (which the seller has been using incorrectly). It quotes an 'average' condition 1968 Overlander 26' as between 3500-6500 USD, defining average to include fully functioning appliances and water/electrical systems, no soft spots in the floor, and no more than a couple dents in the shell (among other things). While it's definitely better than 'as is' I would estimate it on the lower end of average, given that the fridge, furnace and water heater are broken, the water system is compromised due to a leak, the toilet is broken and the floor is rotting in the rear. I want to offer closer to $4000-5000 USD but he'll probably balk. We'll see!!!

Great advice about the pipes, Redleger, thank-you! Can I ask where your leak was??? Was the only way to get to it through the floor? There are plenty of avenues to access the pipes along most walls, inside cabinets and through outside panels but there are a couple spots in the bathroom I couldn't get at.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
true the rubber rods become hard, but that effects the ride of the trailer and in my experience is not as big a deal as some will say, especially those who sell them
My 66 has surface rust on the axles which means nothing to their performance. You can use a steel wire brush and get them cleaner , then paint them if you like. I keep the bearings lubed and the performance has been fine. No popped rivets seen in my 5 years of ownership.
All the 1960's Airstreams are torsion axle. Even the leaf spring ones from the 50's,can be converted to this set up and achieve a better ride.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Huntington Beach , California
If the axels have never been replaced They need to be Hey dealer cost for my 1978 Excella 500 31 foot was $1500. Best of luck
Jerry Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
true the rubber rods become hard, but that effects the ride of the trailer and in my experience is not as big a deal as some will say, especially those who sell them
Popping rivets is the least serious problem with bad axles. Other problems include (but are not limited to) the bulkheads going through the ceiling, the frame cracking above the axles and the floor warping. Don't ask me how I know. Hint: I am also stubborn.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
New Axles

I replaced the axles on my '66 Overlander and just returned from a 3000 mile trip. We used to put a hold down bar over the clothes rod to keep the clothes from falling off the rod. A few times, this trip the bars didn't get put on and the clothes did not come off and we had several very bad dips in the road. I also noticed items placed on the floor did not move around as before. The trailer also raised by by 3" with the new axles which sure helped going in and out of driveways. Not one "bumper scrape" the whole trip. I am a firm believer now. Bite the bullet and do it. You won't be sorry.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote